Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 AM

628 posts, read 843,317 times

Advertisements

Toyota does not yet use a turbo and Lamborghini will use turbos in 2018 and Ferrari and VW also uses turbos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 06:52 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,588,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Most likely. It’s like displacement on demand without the extra cylinders banging around.
The new turbos feel like a large displacement engine with very little to no lag.
They neither "feel" nor sound like a large displacement engine. Personally I don't like this trend. Okay no more lazy V8s (like in my Jeep Grand Cherokee) is one thing or the Turbo6 in the F150 vs the Coyote V8 but there is little discernible advantage of say the Honda Accord Turbo 4 in the new accord Touring vs the Honda V6 - check it out - several magazines have compared the two and there is little difference in MPGs and no one prefers the 4turbo.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:56 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,968,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Being a boxer engine has little to do with it. I've had several Porsches and only one of them has burned oil to a noticeable degree (and still not to the level that I have to add oil between regular oil changes.) I've had BMW's with straight 6 engines that burned more. Worst offender I've ever had has been a 4.7 liter Chrysler V8.

It's just like anything else, and boils down to shoddy build quality for a particular engine.
Build quality is definitely an attribute, but gravity pulling all the oil to the bottom of the cylinder instead of the oil pan can’t help matters.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
They certainly will not go all turbo. GM plans to offer over 20 electrics by then. Ford and Toyota will probably follow suit. No turbo electric motors that I know of..

Old 12-09-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
They neither "feel" nor sound like a large displacement engine. Personally I don't like this trend. Okay no more lazy V8s (like in my Jeep Grand Cherokee) is one thing or the Turbo6 in the F150 vs the Coyote V8 but there is little discernible advantage of say the Honda Accord Turbo 4 in the new accord Touring vs the Honda V6 - check it out - several magazines have compared the two and there is little difference in MPGs and no one prefers the 4turbo.
I don’t like the trend either (with performance cars anyway), but they don’t have lag anymore like in the old days. I honestly can’t tell there’s a turbo anymore other than the sound. They’re putting out more power and torque than their big displacement counterparts and getting better gas mileage.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
I prefer my Audi’s supercharged 3.0.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They certainly will not go all turbo. GM plans to offer over 20 electrics by then. Ford and Toyota will probably follow suit. No turbo electric motors that I know of..
When car manufacturers claim to offer a lot of electrics, what it usually boils down to is offering either a PHEV or EV option alongside the ICE versions, not replacing all their lineups exclusively with EVs. 40% of the population lives in an apartment and won’t have a place to charge their car.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:04 AM

10,003 posts, read 5,711,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
In 5 years most cars going be electric. I think in 2020 Audi and BMW going electric for their cars. Newer Audi cars already turbocharged engines
You think we're going to go from a >2% take rate for electrics to over 50% in 5 years? Based on what??

Audi has been turbocharging for almost 40 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
My girlfriend has a 2012 Subaru STI 2.5 boxer engine with 300 HP which hauls ass! But damn that thing burns oil like crazy and her fuel economy is horrible.

Not sure how you can get great fuel economy from a 4 banger with a turbo pushing 300 horses. On the other hand, my 17 impala with a 3.6 V6 has 305 HP but does great on gas. I think with turbos ratching up the RPM’s so high, it burns gas much faster than a non turbo V6 with similar horsepower ratings.

Still iffy on turbo engine maintenance and it’s reliabilty. With electric vehicles being in the forefront in the coming years, I believe turbos will start to go away while electric cars slowly replace them like some here have said.
The ancient STi motor hasn't undergone any significant upgrades in over a decade. By contrast base Porsche 718 Cayman with a newly developed turbo 4 is rated at 300HP and 25mpg combined, with highway fuel economy regularly exceeding 30mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Toyota does not yet use a turbo
They do for some Lexus models and it's probably only a matter of time before it replaces some V6 options in the Toyota line. The upcoming Supra will probably have some turbo engine option as well.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:30 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,776,937 times
I understand the boxer engine is old but one would expect some improvements over the years, or even a correction from Subaru as the oil burning in her engine is rather extreme at times.

I’ve tried different brands of full syn motor oil as a top off for her, and non of them seem to help cut down on the burning. Switching to a 5W40 also didn’t make a difference either.

A lot people on the Subie forums recommend Liquid Moly motor oil as there oil film holds up much better in extremely high revving turbo charged engines. So I’ll give it a shot for her and see what happens.

Her car pulls very strong and is mechanically sound, but because of the excess heat buildup that turbos create, her oil seems to look extra black faster than any other vehicle I’ve seen. A little over a thousand miles the oil already looks like it needs to be changed again. Her air filter has been changed 3 times and she only has 40,000 miles on her car so it’s even more concerning on that low of mileage that the burning is as bad as it is.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM

10,003 posts, read 5,711,232 times
The STi is not extremely high-revving. The redline is, what, 6700rpm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive