Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I honestly never knew these products existed and frankly I'm surprised at the positive reviews. I'm from the old school who believes that gunk settles to the bottom of the oil pan and draining from the bottom simply has to be a better move.
That's what the oil filter is for.

In any case, if the gunk is sitting in the bottom of the pan, like coffee grounds, I can't imagine much of it is draining out with the oil.

Either the gunk and contaminants are in suspension, or they aren't. And, if they aren't, they are going to remain on the bottom of the drain pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
If you suck your oil out with one of these kits then IN TIME you will have sludge to deal with. That said ,do you really want to leave even a small amount of sludge behind if you can drain it off??? Really??
I suppose one could tear down the entire engine every oil change and clean out all of the old oil and coolant

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
These pumps have been used on boat motors for years. It is the only way to get the oil out because the normal drain plug is inaccessible in the bilge. They work, but I still prefer the drain plug on cars because you get more of the contaminates out when the oil flushes out the bottom.

But, yes, they will work.
That's what I was going to write. The only way to do an oil change on the Yanmar on my boat is with an oil extractor. The oil filter is right in front of you and easy to swap.

If I had an oil filter I could replace without crawling under, I'd change my own oil. The dealer does 7 quarts of Mobil 1, a filter, and crush washer for $65.00 with a coupon. With Walmart oil, that's only $25.00 for the labor and the car is up on a lift where they can eyeball everything looking for problems. I see no point in DIY oil changes where I have to crawl under at that price point.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:35 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
When was the last time you drained sludge out of the drain plug? 1972?
Not lately. However, I change oil twice a year now that I'm retired. I drive about 4,000 a year between two cars so they don't get much gunk to drop into the pan. Other people that drive "normally" will have much more gunk to drop into the pan.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times
There is very little, if any "gunk" that forms in new cars, using new oil and with adequate oil changes. Besides, most drain plugs do NOT sit on the bottom of the pan, and thus do not allow 100% of the oil to drain out anyway. So if you had a ton of gunk in your pan, only those particles that are suspended would filter out with the removal of the plug. By warming up the oil and then using the extractor, you are also suspending these particles in the oil which can then be extracted. It's virtually no different doing this than draining the oil, provided you can reach the bottom of the pan with the extractor hose.

Then again, anyone using a decent oil filer shouldn't be having "gunk" floating around in their oil.

How old are some of you that keep talking about all this gunk? The world has changed, so change with it.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
It helps to buy top quality filters. IMO "cotton pack " filters are the best since that type really grabs the gunk and holds it.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:14 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I use one of these extractors and it’s nice not to have to crawl under the car. My filter is on top and this makes oil changes a neat experience. No mess and job done efficiently. I think the research is on the side of the extractors as many of the exotic car dealers use the extractors now and no problems.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I have used a topside extractor with great success on my old F-350 with 460 engine. This particular truck, when you pull the drain plug, oil splashes right onto a frame member, and makes a damn mess. The extractor avoids all that. Doubting Thomas types can take the drain plug out after the extractor has done all it will do - you will find very little or no oil comes out the drain.

Now on my old 95 Cougar, for some reason this particular extractor, which uses a plastic tube, semi-rigid, to go down the dipstick tube - it won't make the turn from the dipstick tube into the oil pan. This is a 2-valve 4.6L. The dipstick is actually a cable, if you have seen them.

Point being is that not all extractors will work on all cars/trucks.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have used a topside extractor with great success on my old F-350 with 460 engine. This particular truck, when you pull the drain plug, oil splashes right onto a frame member, and makes a damn mess. The extractor avoids all that.
I've been installing Fumoto oil drain valves on my vehicles for the past 15 or so years. No fuss, no muss. And I get all the old oil out. I get the one with the nipple, so I attach a length of clear vinyl tubing and leave it attached.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I use an oil extractor on my Yanmar diesel on the boat. It's the only way to get the oil out. I also use it on my wimpy Briggs & Stratton push lawnmower. If I had the oil filter on the top, I'd happily use an oil extractor. Since I have to crawl under to do the filter, I just let the dealer do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive