Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
So the side mirrors don't look to the rear? There must be something wrong with mine because they DO look to the side and rear!
They're called side-view for a reason. You shouldn't see any of your own vehicle in them when they are BGE configured, unless you're driving a semi-truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How hard is it to look before moving your 3,000 pound vehicle? (exception: people with mobility problems). Have we really become so lazy that we rely on a computer to do even that for us? I knew things got way out of hand with this "blah blah blah sensor" with the invention of the backup cameras.
Have you ever driven a car with them or know how they work? You still have to actually look at the mirror and use signals for them to be of any benefit. Same amount of effort required, just with additional assisted payoff.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If setup properly the side view mirrors look to...the side.
LOL. I've never had side mirrors that looked to the side. it's physically impossible.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Have you ever driven a car with them or know how they work? You still have to actually look at the mirror and use signals for them to be of any benefit. Same amount of effort required, just with additional assisted payoff.
Now we have a winner.

Arguing over whether or not you need them is silly. No one needs them unless they can't turn their head (my father). Do you want to use them as an additional safety feature? I sure do. right now my lane change assists are convex mirrors glued to the out side mirrors. Next vehicle (2018) will have all the bells and whistles. The older we get the more we need hem.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
They're called side-view for a reason. You shouldn't see any of your own vehicle in them when they are BGE configured, unless you're driving a semi-truck.
They're called side view because they're on the side of the car. You get a partial side view, but the majority of the view is still to rear. Unless you don't know how to use them.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:12 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
LOL. I've never had side mirrors that looked to the side. it's physically impossible.
To the side of the car that is, still behind your head of course. But not duplicating what you see in the rear view mirror at all.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...id-blind-spots

Old 01-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
To the side of the car that is, still behind your head of course. But not duplicating what you see in the rear view mirror at all.
Yeah, I know. But people get all worked up over wordage and I just can't help myself. I have to pick on them.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I like it, and have it in Mercedes and Volvo products. I have driven rental cars that have it, including the garden variety Altima, and it does help with the audible tone, even in low light conditions. I have seen black or grey cars driving without lights in rain/fog that were difficult to see, but the blind spot system picked them up and sounded an alert when the turn signal is used. It's an additional safety feature, in my opinion, not a replacement for proper driving technique.

I have vehicles without a blind spot system, and don't see it as a feature upon which I am dependent, just an additional one that can enhance safety, which is the same way I view the backup and 360-degree cameras.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
We're wasting our time - those who attempt to achieve the same view in all three mirrors on their car are missing out on a LOT. I can often tell how some drivers have their mirrors set by how they drive.

To those individuals I invite them to google "BGE mirror setting" or "blind-glare-elimination".

Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 PM

242 posts, read 317,806 times
Its no substitute for a traditional shoulder check. These technologies need to be considered a supplement to traditional safety checks.

A reverse camera still has blind spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive