Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago I had some work done on one of my vehicles at a local garage. This particular garage is very highly rated for their expertise with European cars, and has been around a good while. They do a tremendous amount of business as there are a lot of non Big3 brands here.

So I pick up the car late in the day and didn’t notice until I got home how filthy they got the inside of my car. Leather seats, upholstery, steering wheel, console, you name it. It took me an hour to clean off all of the grease and grime smudges they left behind. I have not addressed this with them YET because I will be going back for more work in a couple of weeks, at which time I will let them know that my expectations are that the vehicle is given to me in the same condition it was when I dropped it off.

Fast forward to yesterday and I’m at the local Honda dealership for routine service. They found a couple of things that I wasn’t expecting so I had them taken care of as well. When I got in the car to drive it home I noticed a couple of smudges here and there, but didn’t think too much of it considering I just went through this with the other vehicle.

When I got home and really looked it over I was shocked to see how filthy my vehicle was. I was so mad I tried to get the dealership manager to speak with me on the phone but he has been “unavailable”. Took me a good hour to clean this mess up as well.

So what is everyone’s expectation? Are you OK with a dirty interior after getting service at your garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:11 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Why clean? Turn around and bring it back right away. Go straight to manager, no middleman.
That said - you drove car back and did NOT notice how FILTHY it was?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
I've never had this problem at the Honda and Toyota dealers where we take our cars. They put a plastic cover over the seats, a paper mat on the floor (even though I have Weathertech liners), and even wash the car after it's been serviced.

I'd like to think I would have noticed once I got in before driving all the way home. I always do a walk around before I get in the car to check for any possible scuffs/dents. I also do a cursory check of the interior as well.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:51 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,204 times
I typically only visit the dealership when there's a recall on the vehicle. Otherwise I do all the basic DIY maintenance and take my vehicles to my brother-in-law's garage for repairs (timing belt, ball joints, bushings, PITA stuff). His rates are only $60/hr compared to the $150 at my local dealerships. But I have to say, my local Lexus of Newport Beach has an amazing service center. Bellhops with portage carts greet you and move your stuff into loaner vehicles, there's cobblestone, a traffic circle with water feature, and yes...you're paying for it one way or another. I usually go in workout attire and run the 1.25 miles back home.

The dealership washes and cleans both the interior and exterior. The car comes back in near showroom condition. My brother-in-law is very clean himself and wears gloves while he's servicing the cars, then washes his hands before getting into the driver seat. I don't think your expectations are off. You shouldn't have to spend an hour cleaning your interior after getting your car serviced.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
I deal with a small town dealer that we know personally. We've known the family since high school and high school was in the 60's. The wife took her new Escape Titanium in for an oil change. When she got home with it, she noticed all of the grease and crap all over the car. She called the owner of the dealership, our buddy, and complained. He had the guy that serviced her car come after work and clean her car from top to bottom. The guy was very apologetic too. I bet he doesn't make that mistake again. Like I've always told my girls, it's best to know one car salesman in your life. He knows you and you know him. If there's a problem, he's going to take care of you cause he doesn't want to lose that repeat business. Works for us.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:29 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
I've had a few smaller places leave my car filthy with a gross steering wheel and door where they had to open it from the inside. I was beyond annoyed and it made me never use those places again. I can't believe that these places don't teach their mechanics to use gloves or something to cover the places they may touch with their dirty hands (or require them to wash their hands prior to getting into a customer's vehicle).

Imagine what their houses look like!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
I found some grease smudges in my SUV after it had some warranty work done. I took it back and had them clean it. One more reason I do as much of my own maintenance as I can.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
I took a service truck for service at a dealer. Grease smears on the steering wheel on the seat. Got it back and I guess they figured service truck = driver doesnt care. Boy...... were they wrong.
I went straight to the service manager. They detailed my truck.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
I wouldn't be tripping out over a smudge or two but if it appeared they made zero effort to keep it clean I would probably say something.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
due care for a customer's vehicle is part and parcel of good shop/business practices.

appropriate interior protection .... covers, floor mats, etc. ... is the hallmark of a shop that also uses fender covers.

while this practice was essential to keep and retain clients with high end vehicles in my shop, it's no less essential for every shop that wants to have happy clients.

It's reasonable to expect that a shop will respect your car's condition and return it to you in as good ... if not better ... condition that it arrived.

So if your vehicle is returned to you dirty from their work, it's time to take it back to the shop and ask them to clean it up appropriately. Their response will be insightful regarding future work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive