Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Not really. Just go on carmax and compare 2 identical models. there will be price differences based on many factors of which options are 1.
Pennies on the dollar unless its something major like a transmission or engine upgrade. The $2500 "Carbon Trim" package? Ain't going to see that $2500 back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Heh. Back in the day, the X50 option for a Porsche 911 turbo was $17k all by itself.
But in this case at least, I can appreciate what you get for the extra money. Unlikely you could take a base model and get to the performance level of the X-50 equipped car for less money.

Sort of like a Steyr Scout - yeah, it's expensive compared to cheaper options out there the more or less serve the same purpose - but you can't build one yourself as good for the full retail price of the real deal.

But one would have to drive the car, or shoot the rifle, in an appropriate venue, and would have to be a decently skilled operator, to appreciate what they can do.

A buddy has a 996, the last year they were made with a manual, whenever that is - it was a $140K car new, he bought it at an out of state Chrysler dealer (it was a trade-in) that was going out of business, back in the bankruptcy/bailout days. He got it with I think 50 or 70K miles, cosmetically nearly perfect, for $70K.

We sometimes joke that his 996 and my $1000 Scirocco are tied for "best bang for the buck" in our work parking lot. And I think we are right, even though his is probably about the 3rd or so most expensive car in the lot, and I probably am the cheapest.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
But in this case at least, I can appreciate what you get for the extra money. Unlikely you could take a base model and get to the performance level of the X-50 equipped car for less money.

Sort of like a Steyr Scout - yeah, it's expensive compared to cheaper options out there the more or less serve the same purpose - but you can't build one yourself as good for the full retail price of the real deal.

But one would have to drive the car, or shoot the rifle, in an appropriate venue, and would have to be a decently skilled operator, to appreciate what they can do.

A buddy has a 996, the last year they were made with a manual, whenever that is - it was a $140K car new, he bought it at an out of state Chrysler dealer (it was a trade-in) that was going out of business, back in the bankruptcy/bailout days. He got it with I think 50 or 70K miles, cosmetically nearly perfect, for $70K.

We sometimes joke that his 996 and my $1000 Scirocco are tied for "best bang for the buck" in our work parking lot. And I think we are right, even though his is probably about the 3rd or so most expensive car in the lot, and I probably am the cheapest.
So somebody lost $70K on a car? Ouch! That's like buying a new Z06 Corvette for $70K and giving it away for free a few years later.
Anybody can buy a car for $140K. It's the depreciation that's the real expense.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
New Porsche Panamera sedan.

Ordered last Fall. Just came in last week. (yes same guy). Not me.

Added $26,000 in options from base price. Granted. He did not pay full MSRP.

It's a car. A 4 door sedan. Porsche.
If they can afford it, they may as well get what they want option wise. With the base price those go for why compromise on other stuff?

If the same on just about any vehicle over 40k...you're already spending quite a bit of money so get what you want.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 01-11-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So somebody lost $70K on a car? Ouch! That's like buying a new Z06 Corvette for $70K and giving it away for free a few years later.
Anybody can buy a car for $140K. It's the depreciation that's the real expense.
(This in reference to my post about the guy who bought a 996 that sold for $140K new for $70K with about 50K miles on it)

As I understand it, an older guy, well off, bought the 996 new, drove it for a few years, then traded it at the Chrysler dealer for some other car. I don't know what he got, Hellcats were not out then, so probably a Viper of some sort. I don't know what kind of deal the old guy got. As far as I know, he did whatever deal he did willingly, and knew what he was getting into.

Fast forward a few months and this dealer has the car on the lot, and, as part of the Chrysler bankruptcy/bailout deal, this particular dealership was going to be closed. So the car was for sale at a somewhat distressed price.

So I don't think the guy who owned the car from new actually "lost" $70K on the deal straight up, and of course he bought it new and traded it away used, and if you do that, usually you lose some money on the deal. The dealer probably would have wanted more money for the car if he was not about to close. Who knows all the financial juggling that went on? So I don't think anybody got beat out of $70K in one deal here.

A lot of people are not keen to own a car like this out of warranty, but, the current owner is a very accomplished DIY mechanic, has rebuilt Lamborghini engines, done all his own work on a 1978 928 for decades, has a lift in his garage, mounts and balances his own tires (and I go over there and do mount and balance myself, you just gotta know the right people...). Usually these German cars are reasonably reliable, if you do the maintenance as specified, and don't try to cheap out with lower spec parts and/or fluids.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
He got off easy. I had a Panamera Turbo. When I ordered it new I added over $80k in options. Not hard to do if you can afford it. Loved the car but sold it when my Mulsanne was finally delivered.
^^^^BALLER IN THE HOUSE!^^^^

You easily lost 200K in depreciation on 2 cars. Which one did you like better?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Germans cars deprecate like crazy, if you know anything about finance you would never buy a new one even if you are a billionaire, that is just a waste of money. You have to think like Warren Buffet and not like an NBA star if you want to stay wealthy.
Bill Gates is a Porsche nut......his 959 is worth 1mm+..........not bad for a car he bought new for about 250K!

Look up a Mercedes Gullwing, even a 1970 350 SE, maybe an E500......all worth multiples of what they cost new.

Check out a BMW Z8 or E28 M5, E30 M3......worth 2X+ what they cost new.

Porsches......any Speedster, all air cooled turbos, most race history cars.....multiples.

So while some cars "depreciate" you can't rule out a whole country's automotive output as "deprecate like crazy"

Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Funny about that Steyr: read a modern comparison of "Scout" rifles, a concept with more sales than ever apparently, the Steyr is still right in the hunt and 20 year old design or not, they got much of it right straight from Col. Cooper's specs. Leave it to Mannlicher in-particular to do it right; they've made some gorgeous if obscure dual-trigger hunting rifles for God knows how many decades (EDIT: uh, since 1864).

Yes, you need to twist into 911s on a track, curvy road, or the Nurburgring to see them work properly. Yes, an Autobahn does not hurt either, to wind them up. I've driven heck knows how many people who have NO idea what "racing" really means in simply some sharp corner work around town, they're vomit-inducing enough and will pull a G before breaking loose, usually. Fast, not in a Corvette or big-displacement way, but when the flat-six roar (and/or the turbos spool up), it's pretty darn quick.

My '01 Turbo 996 had a manual, it worked great, I'd sooner be dipped in honey and dropped on an anthill than deal with the Tiptronic single-clutch they used as an auto until the 991s. It's not awful, it's just weak compared to dual-clutch offerings from others and their own Doppelkuppling , aka PDK, put it in the grass c. 2011. I love the dual clutch offering these days, actually, despite being a former manual-purist. It still isn't the same, but is frighteningly competent.

And that money, yes: your buddy stole that 996. Sticker on my Turbo was $125K in 2001 dollars. There are few to zero non-salvage 911s 5-10 years old going for "$20K", that's so wrong as to be laughable. There are zero five year old (2013) in eBay or CarGurus as of right now for less than $55K. They depreciate differently than other German cars; the 996 Turbo I traded in for my 991 GTS got me $7K less than I paid for it (used) after 20K miles I put o in five years. GT3s and GT4s were actually appreciating, last I checked, though I wouldn't bet the store that will last.

911s are very, very different beasts, folks. "Worth it," is that that point of this thread? LOL!

Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Bill Gates is a Porsche nut......his 959 is worth 1mm+..........not bad for a car he bought new for about 250K!

Look up a Mercedes Gullwing, even a 1970 350 SE, maybe an E500......all worth multiples of what they cost new.

Check out a BMW Z8 or E28 M5, E30 M3......worth 2X+ what they cost new.

Porsches......any Speedster, all air cooled turbos, most race history cars.....multiples.

So while some cars "depreciate" you can't rule out a whole country's automotive output as "deprecate like crazy"
You could say the same thing about rare Detroit 60’s era muscle cars, 50 year old Stingrays, Shelby Cobra’s whatever....not exactly representative of a country’s entire industry.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I wish I could show the neighbor these two threads! Unit is obviously obsessed with this guy's expensive cars! Who cares......Porsches are expensive to buy and maintain, signed Captain Obvious.
Why is OP complaining? Neighbor is sending property values up, up, up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive