Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have noticed a certain behavior that other drivers do when I'm driving my minivan. They pick me to get in front of when they're looking for a place to cut in the line. They had a huge gap behind me, but decide to pace me and try to cut in in the tiny space I give them, which isn't enough. This goes on until they either run out of road, or they become aware that I'm not going to let them in. I know this happens to anyone in any kind of car, but it seems to occur far more frequently to me in my minivan. There are occasions when I let someone in, but it's always strange why they picked me. I'm not going slow when they do it, so it can't be that they think I'm slow.
Most minivans will give a car a run for it's money and have over 260hp, despite wieghing 5k, so they're idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
LOL. I drive a retired P71...don't tell me other drivers don't percieve certain vehicles certain way. It's like people have something to.prove to it that whatever they're driving is a far better/faster vehicle or some crap. Very rarely do people act like law abiding drivers around me- which is fine, don't hold me up in traffic because you think I'll light you up. Truely most cars ar just a fast, or faster, but still... They feel the need to put me in my place or something.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 PM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
Most people just don't drive very well. I guess licenses are available in cracker jack boxes. Many are juvenile to think that you are what you drive. Just learn to blow them all off. pity them fools!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
If people drive differently, I think it has more to do with what they are driving than what the people around them are driving.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:59 AM

344 posts, read 245,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
When I'm driving my car it seems like I can't go more than five minutes without another driver trying to run me off the road, maim me, or kill me for sport. In other words, other drivers treat me like I'm gum on the bottom of their shoe. On the other hand when I'm driving my SUV, other drivers treat me like I'm the Pope. What gives? Why is my life disposable when I'm driving a car, but when I'm driving an SUV I'm regarded as royalty?
I'd never regard anyone driving an SUV as royalty! Most of them are like those you described - trying to run you off the road. I hate SUVs - can't see around them - and most of the drivers think the own the road.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sure, I've been tailgated and cut off. Never thought it had anything to do with me driving a subcompact. I certainly don't change how I drive based on the type of car in front of or next to me.
It's not the tailgating and getting cutoff. Everybody experiences that. It is the frequency. It happens more in my van than our car, for example. When you see a semi waiting at a red light, watch the cars one up in the other lane. Watch how cars that want to merge in congested traffic prefer to merge in front of the semi rather than someone else. The people are driving differently around the Semi. You probably do it too. People do similar things, on a lesser scale, to other cars on the road. They really do.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
It boils down to a couple of things.

If you notice people in small cars cutting in front of big rigs it's often because they know the big rig is going to take much longer to get to speed and they don't want to be stuck beside a 53' trailer fearing that the driver won't see them and merge on top of them.

The same happens to me when I'm driving my Ram 2500 and towing my 5th wheel trailer. People just seem to want to get in front of you and not be beside or behind you. It has nearly caused me to have a couple of accidents. What they forget is that once the big vehicle is rolling, it isn't stopping as quickly as they are.

I don't buy that large truck/SUV drivers are trying to run anyone off the road. I own both but have owned almost everything in the spectrum. It's the mentality of the person behind the wheel and has nothing to do with size. If a jerk in a 1 ton truck will try to run you off the road that doesn't mean he wouldn't whip in front of you in a Prius if he was in one. He may not, because he realizes the risk to himself by doing so in a small car but that doesn't mean he doesn't think it. Rest assured these people aren't concerned with your safety, but their own self-preservation. Some people are jerks no matter what they drive.

It's the people and the way they already think, not a change in attitude based on vehicle size.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It boils down to a couple of things.

If you notice people in small cars cutting in front of big rigs it's often because they know the big rig is going to take much longer to get to speed and they don't want to be stuck beside a 53' trailer fearing that the driver won't see them and merge on top of them.

The same happens to me when I'm driving my Ram 2500 and towing my 5th wheel trailer. People just seem to want to get in front of you and not be beside or behind you. It has nearly caused me to have a couple of accidents. What they forget is that once the big vehicle is rolling, it isn't stopping as quickly as they are.

I don't buy that large truck/SUV drivers are trying to run anyone off the road. I own both but have owned almost everything in the spectrum. It's the mentality of the person behind the wheel and has nothing to do with size. If a jerk in a 1 ton truck will try to run you off the road that doesn't mean he wouldn't whip in front of you in a Prius if he was in one. He may not, because he realizes the risk to himself by doing so in a small car but that doesn't mean he doesn't think it. Rest assured these people aren't concerned with your safety, but their own self-preservation. Some people are jerks no matter what they drive.

It's the people and the way they already think, not a change in attitude based on vehicle size.
If you're responding to me I was not saying it depended on vehicle size , nor did I argue they're trying to run people off the road. They just behave differently around certain types of vehicles. The semi example was just an extreme example. I also didn't argue that everybody does this. It just seems to happen more often to certain kinds of vehicles.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have noticed a certain behavior that other drivers do when I'm driving my minivan. They pick me to get in front of when they're looking for a place to cut in the line. They had a huge gap behind me, but decide to pace me and try to cut in in the tiny space I give them, which isn't enough. This goes on until they either run out of road, or they become aware that I'm not going to let them in. I know this happens to anyone in any kind of car, but it seems to occur far more frequently to me in my minivan. There are occasions when I let someone in, but it's always strange why they picked me. I'm not going slow when they do it, so it can't be that they think I'm slow.
Where I live, minivans are usually very old. The drivers have to drag on the brake to stop. They also are pokey to accelerate from a stop. Nobody likes to be behind them.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
I could understand what you're saying. Not to offend you, I judge cars. I noticed that every person who drives a flat, ugly car, they always drive so slow and it's annoying. People who drive BMWs or cars that look fancy like a BMW tend to be a bit aggressive on the highway. If you drive a spacious soccer mom minivan, I will assume you have kids in your family who are involved with school activities. I live in New Jersey where we have many bad drivers. Truck drivers don't seem aggressive in NJ, since they are not allowed on the left lane by NJ law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive