Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times

Advertisements

If you don't protest, you won't get anything. If they won't do anything, about all you can do is give them about $2000 free advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
I negotiated price without the title and fees. So I never was surprised when they were added on.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You accepted the revised deal. It's on you.
This is the correct answer.

The original deal was an out the door price. The new deal unfortunately wasn't. By accepting the new deal, and paying the price of the new deal, you are probably out of luck.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:50 AM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
I agree, it's on me and I am very likely out of luck. But.....nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If nothing else, sending feedback to the GM may be just what I need to just let it go and move on in life. This thread has helped me figure out how to communicate my position.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
I recently bought a Subaru Forester MT6speed. One dealer’s on-line price was in the too-good to be true range according to a website that rates these things. The second dealer closer to my home gave a slightly higher price.

As it turned out, that dealer price included tax, title, and license.

However they did offer me a choice of their tires for life(which I didn’t want since I buy my own tires at prices they can’t get), or lifetime powertrain warranty(which unfortunately has a wear/tear clause in the contract, so the likelihood of getting a repair on it past Subaru’s 6 year/60000 miles is miniscule. But I know that the dealer has a huge overhead with sales people, facilities, and service people, and they try hard under these circumstances so I didn’t quibble. They offered those other warranties, but not the Subaru Classic and Gold warrantees since they don’t make any money on them.

I doubt that you could have knocked more than $400 off what you got. Dealers don’t make their money on selling cars, unless they are literally flying out the door.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:12 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Tax title and license is never included when the price is being negotiated because they are separate and everyone pays them.
I disagree with you. I insist, insist that it is always the OTR (on the road) price we are talking about.

As for the OP--wow, I don't understand how that mistake was made. I just bought a new car. It is pretty dam* clear before you sign your name what the total price is.

I am good at buying a new car. One has to do their homework and be very alert to what is being presented. They can hardball you--but you can hardball right back.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:19 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
... The protection package was slipped into the deal, and the responsibility was on me to catch it.
I am sorry to be blunt, but reading is fundamental. READ before you sign. I just bought a new car, just went through all the games and such. It was very clear the contract, line by line. If it was slipped in there, you didn't take the time to "read" the contract.
Even my salesperson at the end of the deal said to me, "you are good".

Old 01-25-2018, 04:30 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I disagree with you. I insist, insist that it is always the OTR (on the road) price we are talking about.

As for the OP--wow, I don't understand how that mistake was made. I just bought a new car. It is pretty dam* clear before you sign your name what the total price is.

I am good at buying a new car. One has to do their homework and be very alert to what is being presented. They can hardball you--but you can hardball right back.

There is no way around paying for the title, registration and tax. it is only a matter of how it is presented.
Most dealers negotiate the vehicle price and then talk finance options and then try to sneak other things in like a extra warranty or paint protection.

We did sell commercial trucks with a OTR price when a business guy would call looking to add to his fleet but the tax, title and reg. were always separate items that were pointed out and the final total was presented to them.

You can't fault a salesdude for trying to make a buck. The best deals are when each party walks away happy BUT that salesperson is not going to have a ham sandwich on my dime but a peanut butter and jelly? Sure.

Being alert and always keeping your eye on that bottom line is what is important. They can play games all they want but that final figure is what counts.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:35 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
OTD price should include all taxes and fees.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:56 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Tax title and license is never included when the price is being negotiated because they are separate and everyone pays them.
I used to sell cars and one thing that got me and my clients was the "doc fee" which was at our dealership $125 fee that was printed right on the P+S. It was there for the paperwork to be processed. The fee varied between dealers and I once saw it as high as $400 !
Over $400 at Varney GMC here in Bangor, ME.

Blatant thievery is what I call it. It only took the secretary about 10 minutes to produce the docs, there is no excuse for that sort of charge. I paid tax, title, etc. at the BMV/DMV.

I walked on a deal where the salesman tried to add on a bunch of other stuff, I had cash and put it away. I got a call from the manager the next morning...wanting to know if I would still do the deal if it came in at the originally agreed price. He was a bit upset that his salesman had let me walk out the door with my money still in my pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive