Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:20 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times

Advertisements

Looking at getting one.....Chrysler 200 from maybe 2012-ish. I do like the idea of the added noise reduction and security of a hardtop convertible.
Regardless of brand or model, what's your opinions of them? I foresee a potential major repair bill at some point with all of that Transformer-like mechanical movement in putting the roof up or down. Not to mention the seams between the plates of the roof. Nothing to worry about or is it?
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I think they are awesome. Unless the break. Chrysler is still a bit more likely to have cheap parts that break, although all of them use cheap parts that break, FCA just seems to be a bit worse - probably a carry over form the bad old days. Still I would buy a retractable hard top vert over almost anything else. If I liked the car. I am not a fan generally of the 200, nor the Pontiac G6, so there are not a lot of options for me. A 1990s Mistsubishi Twin Turbo spyder would be awesome though. This one woudl do nicely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bySyVNIRULE

Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
I like the concept and the look of several of them. When I was looking for a sports car a couple of years ago I considered a Mercedes retractable with a broken mechanism. MUCH cheaper than the equivalent fixed hardtop or a working top. It would have been expensive to fix, but I would have just left it up!

Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Interesting question, KPL . . .

My Retractable Hardtop Convertible is about to turn 13 years old . . . I LOVE IT and would not consider trading it for anything.

As for problems . . . maintenance is the key. Definitely, there are mechanical parts that suffer from age if not properly maintained but probably no more than the standard fabric convertible top and components that can be very expensive to either repair or replace.

GO FOR IT.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
They are significantly less safe in the most deadly type of crash, rollover

Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
They are significantly less safe in the most deadly type of crash, rollover
Less safe than a soft top? Don't they all now have pop up roll bars and beefed up windshield frames?

I know rollover safety was a big problem in the 1970s but I thought they had resolved that with beefed up windshield frames and pop up roll bars or stationary roll bars. I know that some convertibles with a roll cage are actually safer than a regular unibody car.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
They are awesome. I bought a Lexus SC430 new in 2002. Cycle the hard top all the time. Have had zero issues in all these years. There is no fabric to tear, leak or sun fade.

I also have a 2002 Bentley Azure convertible, which has a lined cloth top. Although the top works great, and the car is super quiet when the top is up, the fabric top does need to professionally cleaned every 2-3 years as it starts to look dirty (and you notice it on a car like that). I tend to leave it down all the time and only park it in the garage.

Last edited by Stonepa; 01-24-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 01:01 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
They are awesome. I bought a Lexus SC430 new in 2002. Cycle the hard top all the time. Have had zero issues in all these years. There is no fabric to tear, leak or sun fade.

I also have a 2002 Bentley Azure convertible, which has a lined cloth top. Although the top works great, and the car is super quite when the top is up, the fabric top does need to professionally cleaned every 2-3 years as it starts to look dirty (and you notice it on a car like that). I tend to leave it down all the time and only park it in the garage.
That and cats luuuuuv sleeping in the squishy parts of the soft top. Used to have orange cat hair all over mine from my outdoor cat. I'd go to work in the other car and he'd climb onto his "bed" on the driveway.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:02 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Don't like them .

Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Most of the convertibles I prefer tend to have soft tops, not because I prefer soft tops, but because the cars I prefer don't come with hard tops. Thinking about it, it would seem there are many more points of failure and potential leaking, but that's part of the convertible life, I guess. They also tend to take up more trunk space than the folding soft tops, so there is that to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive