Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:25 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
You can reasonably expect the parts that were replaced to carry a warranty. You can not reasonably expect parts that were not replaced to be guaranteed not to leak further on down the road.

Don in Austin
that is definitely a reasonable expectation, however one never knows what exactly went wrong, what was fixed etc unless they did the work themselves. Perhaps the mechanic did not do the job right and now simply says they it's something new.

This is not specific to mechanics, the overwhelming majority in any field are not good at their job. I am an Engineer and can tell you our company is finding it extremely difficult to find good talent, most of the candidates who come in with "years of experience" are just incompetent... I have no idea what they have been doing all these years, their Resumes indicate they are superstars but they virtually know nothing when they are tested. Then you throw in the honesty aspect, that a few people who are good will be dishonest and the percentages get even worse.

I will have to do some exhaustive search for an honest mechanic using reviews and my gut instinct I guess, I am sure they are out there but it just requires a lot of spadework to separate the wheat from the chaff as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Your AC system is a pressurized system. Just because you fix one thing doesn't mean something else won't pop up. Keep that in mind...

Old 02-28-2018, 05:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Evac and recharge should include putting UV leak detection dye in the system. When we do it we inform the customer that the price for a free while-you-wait recheck for the presence of the UV dye, (works like luminal in CSI or Forensic Files) is included in the service and to call ahead when they are in the neighborhood maybe two weeks after recharge.

Don in Austin
Do this myself and have never had an AC in a car that couldn't be fixed. Have a small pen light that shows every leak instantly with the foresent freon, course if the leaks in the dash could be more difficult. Know mechanics hate it but have a set of gauges and a vacum pump from harbor freight, work like a charm.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:18 PM

38 posts, read 26,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Most leaks occur at two locations. The seal of the compressor shaft and the refill valve. Indications are oily wet area at the pulley and a line of oil under the hood. And place a spot of water on the fill valve. If it bubbles, it's leaking.
If you don't want to spend hundreds of repair dollars and the leak isn't too bad, refill it yourself. A can of R-134 is about $10-$12 plus the hose/valve.
Agreed. Just get a can of freon from Walmart that has stop leak. So easy to add, just go by the outside temp and use the gauge. This will almost always get you through the hot summer. But if a person insists on paying 1200-1500 dollars to get your compressor changed, its up to them. but that money will buy a lot of freon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive