Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
As cheap as it costs for my dealers to change it, why in the world would I do it?
Because you get what you pay for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They do not use the little one quart jugs, they use big barrels filled with oil. If your mechanic is using one quart jugs, go elsewhere. At best you are paying too much.

For the OP there is no real way to know short of chemical analysis. And if you suspect they put different oil in than what you pay for, or if you watch them - they put crummier oil in containers for better oil to fool you, then why would you trust the lab?

One hint for future concerns. Very few people commit crimes to get an extra $4. Not even for $10 Maybe some drug addicts might. If your mechanic is a drug addict desperate enough to go to jail for an extra $10 -- probably you better find another mechanic.

Good heavens man, take you own oil!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:55 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because you get what you pay for?
And I get what Ive posted in this thread already.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But it's usually quicker If you know what you are doing. With me, time = money as well and there are better things I'd rather do than sit at the dealer.

For instance, when I bought my current car, they threw in a handful of free oil changes. The first time it needed a change I brought it to the dealer and figured they could take care of it. Well, 20 minute drive, 10 mins or so waiting to speak with someone, waited 45-60min, and then 20 minute drive home.

The next time it needed a change, I did it myself. 20 minutes tops and I was cleaning up and onto other projects around the house. Plus I know it's Mobil 1 oil that I put in there.

I think I have two free changes left, but I'd just rather do it myself.

Did the oil fairy come overnight and take away the old oil?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I live in Southern California and yes, it is the norm that people lie, cheat, steal and deceive, that is essentially normal behavior for the population here. Just recently someone hit my car and ran without leaving a note. Think this is an isolated incident? No, it has happened to 3 of my friends as well. Where I was raised you take responsibility for damaging someone else property instead of running like a coward.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not all out to get you, right?

Old 02-28-2018, 03:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
I don't have to worry about it. I really feel sorry for those who don't trust an honest dealership, and yes, they are out there.
Honest or not, my Acura dealer has done every oil change on the car since I've had it.
And whatever oil they're using -- my 2006 RSX -- is still purring just fine, and I've never had an issue.

But if a person wants their own oil put in.....they're entitled to ensure that is done.

I thought about taking my own oil. But ultimately decided, for me, it's not that big a deal. I can't use my brain cells and energy on that.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Did the oil fairy come overnight and take away the old oil?
You simply take it into Auto Zone, O’Reillys, or wherever and dump it into their oil bin. It’s not that difficult.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You simply take it into Auto Zone, O’Reillys, or wherever and dump it into their oil bin. It’s not that difficult.
So I'd guess the time that trip takes is about the equivalent of a trip to the dealer or lube shop. Got it. What do you do with all that extra time you saved crawling under the car yourself?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:35 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
So I'd guess the time that trip takes is about the equivalent of a trip to the dealer or lube shop. Got it. What do you do with all that extra time you saved crawling under the car yourself?
When I did my own, I saved in a 5 gallon bucket until I was headed into town. What usually happened was I saved it until I went back to get oil and filters, which I tried to do when I was going to town for something else.

Now I just stop by the dealer on my home, or in the case of my Fords, we plan other things to do when in the area so its not like a wasted trip to the dealer.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
I usually just wait until I need to go in there for something else, so it’s no extra trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive