Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 04:46 PM

292 posts, read 428,151 times

Advertisements

I am not a contractor, but I do need a cargo van or minivan for work and recreational purposes, as well as personal use for my own car. An SUV or truck is out of the question. I am trying to decide between a new 2017/2018 Nissan NV200 Compact Cargo van to use as a regular minivan and that can be had for under $18,000 vs. a regular new 2018 Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey minivan that costs at least $27,000. I would prefer a Toyota ProAce compact/medium cargo van, but that has not come to the USA yet.

The Nissan compact cargo city van above has a 5 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and priority scheduling at most Nissan dealer service departments since it is a work van! It also has no windows, so it is more secure. Plus I can add a steel partition between the front row and the back for even more security. I carry my laptop, laser printer, and expensive camera equipment with me so I need the security.

It also has better mileage than a regular minivan (24 city/26 highway vs. 19 city/27 highway for a minivan) since it is only 4-cylinder. It has few bell and whistles, so less can go wrong.

I have a business (not a contractor) so I can also wrap my car with exterior graphics for free with my business info under Nissan's business incentive program, so I can advertise things like my YouTube channel. This will get plenty of attention.

However, it has crummy Nissan reliability and a crummy Nissan transmission. They have to offer a 100K miles B2B warranty since no one would buy a Nissan otherwise. Nissan used to be reliable in the 90's and early 2000's, but now is on the level of a mopar Chrysler/Fiat. Nissan is owned by Renault, so that means you are basically buying a Renault. And it is only 4-cylinders, so I question to durability of this, especially carrying a lot of weight. Plus it might be a target for crackheads, since they will think it is full of tools since it is a work van. But the super long warranty and very low price and mileage tempt me.

What do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 04:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Toyota/Honda

If you're considering compact cargo vans now, you really should look at the Ford Transit. All though the Honda/Toyota would still be the better choice.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Toyota/Honda

If you're considering compact cargo vans now, you really should look at the Ford Transit. All though the Honda/Toyota would still be the better choice.
Ok, I will do so! Thank you. Also the Mercedes Metris ranked high too. But I love the Honda/Toyota reliability. I won't need the 100K mile warranty for those two cars.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
See if you can find a used Toyota Sienna AWD, The Transit is very small and underpowered, and if you drive where it gets very cold, the very small 4-cylinder motor takes forever to warm up. I drive one at work. The Sienna is a lot more comfortable, and most reliable.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 PM

604 posts, read 652,981 times
I vote for Ford Transit Connect, best in its class.

If you can find a new one but older year (some dealers have some special order not picked up from 2016/2017) it would be under $20k new. If you drive a lot and can wait, even better for 2019 they'll have a diesel engine.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
See if you can find a used Toyota Sienna AWD, The Transit is very small and underpowered, and if you drive where it gets very cold, the very small 4-cylinder motor takes forever to warm up. I drive one at work. The Sienna is a lot more comfortable, and most reliable.
That's a point I forgot about. I used to drive a 4-cyl. Chevy Cavalier. Took about 15 minutes of driving to warm up! I liked my Toyota Sienna better now; it just takes a few minutes!

Old 02-27-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
I vote for Ford Transit Connect, best in its class.

If you can find a new one but older year (some dealers have some special order not picked up from 2016/2017) it would be under $20k new. If you drive a lot and can wait, even better for 2019 they'll have a diesel engine.
Ok, thank you. I will look at that, especially those new models from 2016-17. Maybe something will work out.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times
just buy a used Sienna - forget new - the '15-'16 Sienna's are the best in the current generation ('11-'18) - the interiors have been updated and the '15-'16 still use the bulletproof 6 speed/non-DI V-6 powertrain (instead of the problematic 8 speed on the '17+) - you can get a one-owner, local, '15, LE for a great price AND certified - add additional tint to the windows and it will be secure

Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
That's a point I forgot about. I used to drive a 4-cyl. Chevy Cavalier. Took about 15 minutes of driving to warm up! I liked my Toyota Sienna better now; it just takes a few minutes!
Not only that, but you have to stomp on the gas pedal and hold it down for little Transit to come up to highway speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive