Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 AM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
My Saturn Vue is like this. It has five doors, yet only one of them has a keyhole in it. It bugs the hell out of me too.

I don't carry around the remote since I don't like extra stuff in my pockets. It is annoying if I need to put something in the hatch since I have to first walk to and unlock the drivers door, open it, push the unlock button and then walk back to the rear of the car again.

And if that one keyhole ever gets damaged or stuck, then I'm screwed.

I also have a 17 year old Ford Ranger that has worn out keys that sometimes don't work very good. Sometimes I have to jiggle it around to unlock the door, and sometimes I can't get it to work in the drivers door so I have to walk around to the passenger door to try it there. It least I have another option though.

I thought my stupid Saturn was the only one out there with this feature. It's good to know that I'm not alone.
Not at all. The 2010 Forester only has the driver door keyed. The 2014 F150 Super Crew is the same. I noticed it first maybe 12 or 15 years ago on a friend's Impala. I don't know if the trunk was keyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
We had a Pacer for about a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I'ii split the winnings with you. My first car was a '74 Vega GT...
Those cars were brilliant! Compact, light-weight, RWD, with a gloriously accommodating engine compartment. That Pacer would look great with a Chevy Big Block, or a Chrysler Hemi with a Roots-blower... back-halved, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol. Please. You couldn’t hand crank a car today if you wanted to. Those hand cranks were the most unsafe feature on a vehicle. Good riddance. It was inconvenient, dangerous and difficult.
Nobody wants to do the things you described today.

Hey come on over and hand crank my diesel. If you get it started I’LL give you $100
Diesel? Not a fair contest. Compression is too high. And with a spark-ignition engine, the timing is retarded, to enable hand-cranking. If we're going to have small-displacement engines... we might as well make them robust, which means amenable to shade-tree repairs and palliative measures. Which brings me to another point... we've lost control over the ignition-timing of our engines. Now it's all pre-programmed. The advance-curve is "optimized" by a computer - which of course is sealed. And it's optimized, of course, for fuel-efficiency... not full-throttle acceleration. Yes, some clever fellows have hacked into OBD-II to override the computer. Others have yanked the ECU completely, replacing it with a kit that they soldered together ("Megasquirt", for example). I have genuine respect for that! But it's becoming increasingly harder to do.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:33 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
I had a late 80's Jetta had all the blank spots in the dash for the features that I didn't have.
My 2001 Nissan Xterra also only has one door that is keyed, and the keyfob doesn't unlock the other doors with the keyfob in the way it should.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
If you're not a physically fit 12yr old, you will have a hard time climbing into the back seat of my Isuzu Rodeo Sport.
If you're drunk, I may just ask you to for the fun of it.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
I had a 1959 Mercury Montclair that had vacuum tubes in the Radio.

Last edited by RP2C; 03-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Sp.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:37 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
The high pitched and weak horn found in most new cars these days. I've been swapping in the PIAA 85115 "Superior Bass" Horn. Deeper tone and louder than stock but not ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:15 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not embarrassing but irritating: my truck only has keyed entry on the driver side. Yes, this still bugs me, almost 13 years after I bought it.
Oh, one of our cars has this too! Drives me nuts, especially since the key fob doesn't work any more, so using the key on that single door is the only option.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
My first car came with a Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW radio with a single speaker. It got very few AM or FM stations and nothing but static on SW. And it picked up interference from the ignition systems of about half of the other cars on the road.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
2005 corvette, bought it used obviously. It doesn't have an aux port and grids/lines on my rear window which are used to as an electric heater to demist the window don't work.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:24 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
I've never had a car I was really embarrassed about, I'm a car guy so I've always tried to purchase fun cars, even when I was younger with not a lot of money to spend.

If I had to pick something, I'd say it was my Jeep Liberty. It at least had the V6 option, but it was 2wd, the interior was so cheap, and got terrible gas mileage for a V6.

I bought it as a family beater, haul the dog around, get groceries, etc. I was embarrassed by it for a design flaw it had... Some friends and I took it to go to Top Golf one day, and we were there for a few hours, we come back to the car and one of the rear side windows is rolled down. I was pretty sure it was rolled up when we left it, but not 100%.

Turns out the window regulator has this cheap plastic piece that breaks all the time, and when it does, the window falls down into the door. There is an aftermarket fix that costs $100 or so, and a couple hours of time, but we had to drive home about 20 miles and couldn't put the window back up. So then we had to roll down another window, because having just one window down made the buffeting sound inside the car unbearable. So no AC going home on a 100 degree day.

Fixed the window the next weekend, and I swear to God exactly one week passed and the OTHER rear window broke the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive