Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I read several articles and there didn't seem to be a real consensus.

Do you buy a new car battery only when your current battery dies, or every so many miles, or after a certain period of time?
Good question!
I listen to the car as it turns over. When it starts to slow down I buy a battery.

But I keep my cars a long time. 2008 & 1990. So I am eventually going to buy a battery, anyway. No reason to get myself or spouse stranded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 04:36 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
When I notice it doesn't have it's same stamina...although I have had "sudden battery death syndrome" where it worked when I left home but died at my first stop.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
When I notice it doesn't have it's same stamina...although I have had "sudden battery death syndrome" where it worked when I left home but died at my first stop.
I think this is more frequent in new cars with computers, and all the extra electronics that must draw a trickle current even with the car off. Car batteries used to take several months to die, but lately (last 15 to 20 years) I've seen them suddenly die with little or no warning.
I do carry jumper cables in every vehicle so a battery dying isn't going to ruin our day, but rule of thumb for me is about every 5 or 6 years I replace them.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
One reasonably scientific test is to get a hydrometer, if not a "real" one with a graduated scale, at least a floating ball type, and occasionally test to see if all the cells are at "spec" specific gravity and all about the same.

I keep all my batteries on a Battery Tender when parked at the house. Regardless if I plan to drive that car the next day or not, they just all get "tendered" when I park. That and I do check at least about quarterly for water level, adding *distilled* or higher purity water as needed.

Matter of fact, if I am back in the garage pretty soon after parking, I can look at when the BT changes from "full charge" mode (red light on steady) to "intermediate" mode (red light on steady, green light flashing) as a rough measure of how "healthy" the battery is.

I usually get 10 or more years out of a battery.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
When I notice that the car is cranking slower when I start it... usually in the fall when the weather is getting colder. I have been replacing my batteries about every 5 years. And I usually buy a Honda battery from the dealership.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:31 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times
I replace them as they fail. About 10 days before they are no longer able to fire up the engine (without assistance), the power windows start to slow and the interior lights look a little dim. My 01 VW Golf TDI usually gets about 5-6 years/125K-150K miles between battery changes. The 06 GM Silverado 2500HD Duramax needs two battery replaced every 4 years. My other two cars are electrified and need voltage to sustain the computers; cold cranking amps are pretty much useless. I just use my multimeter and replace the batteries. If I recall correctly, the car won't "Ready" when the 12V battery drops below 10.4V.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I replaced my battery late last yr. - original battery, bought the car in Oct. '09 - two places tested and told me it was time.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
I look at things on a dollars to grief scale.

How many dollars do I spend to avoid grief.

A good battery is roughly $150.00

I replace my battery every 5 years - usually before the start of winter.

The way I see it - a battery costs about $30 a year.

If I am stranded somewhere on a cold and windy night, I would gladly pay $100. just to get home.

So, I replace the battery before it fails, so maybe it's a year premature - big deal, I wasted $30.00

I always keep a spare "dead" battery in the garage. When I buy a new one, I take the spare with me, and give that to the store as the "core" charge. I install the new one when I get home and use the old battery from the car as the new "dead" battery - stored in the garage.

I buy the best battery I can - just like if you were climbing a mountain, you would buy the best rope....

This works for me -

Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
When I go to replace my battery I like to do so right after a big winter freeze. A big winter freeze kills all the weak batteries, which means every battery is sold. A few weeks later new batteries start showing up. That way you don't get a battery that's been sitting around for half a year or more. I bought a new battery for my Jeep last November, right after a big freeze. It was dated 11/17, so it was just weeks old.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I think this is more frequent in new cars with computers, and all the extra electronics that must draw a trickle current even with the car off. Car batteries used to take several months to die, but lately (last 15 to 20 years) I've seen them suddenly die with little or no warning.
I do carry jumper cables in every vehicle so a battery dying isn't going to ruin our day, but rule of thumb for me is about every 5 or 6 years I replace them.
I thought that too...but it was in a stock 76 Maverick back in '12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive