Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^
I bought my last camper new in Pueblo, CO, towed it to my daughter's house in Tucson, spent 3 days there and headed back. Just south of Albuquerque, NM I blew a tire on it -- Goodyear. I'd driven it for maybe 400-500 miles; it was built about 2 months before I bought it. (Dealer had gotten it in that week.) I didn't look at the build date on the tires, and I can't even tell you for sure whether they were Chinese or U.S. (I think they were Chinese made.) It was mid-April, so it wasn't hot, and I was driving about 70 mph. (ST tires were rated for 65 mph.)

New tires aren't always safe either.

I replaced all 5 tires with a different brand and lightly larger size rated for more weight. (Although I wasn't overweight with the Goodyears.) The tire dealer allowed me $100 for the 4 nearly new tires. I imagine he sold them for twice that, which would have been a good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
The previous two posters both were careful to buy quality tires, have them properly checked, and had blowouts early in the life of the tire. What does that tell you?

If I said parts don't fall off airliners, somebody would find a cite that one did. But tire blowouts don't even rank in the top 20 as causes for accidents. If a an accident occurs right after a tire blows out, what do you think would be deemed to be the "leading cause" of the accident?

Personally, I'm very conscientious about the 20 leading causes of accidents, are you? I refuse to drive with the radio on, and "distracted" is way, way above tire blowouts for causes of accidents. Like, FIRST. My family's life is more important than my music collection. Maybe yours isn't (if you want to go the guilt trip route).

Old 03-18-2018, 12:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The previous two posters both were careful to buy quality tires, have them properly checked, and had blowouts early in the life of the tire. What does that tell you?

If I said parts don't fall off airliners, somebody would find a cite that one did. But tire blowouts don't even rank in the top 20 as causes for accidents. If a an accident occurs right after a tire blows out, what do you think would be deemed to be the "leading cause" of the accident?

Personally, I'm very conscientious about the 20 leading causes of accidents, are you? I refuse to drive with the radio on, and "distracted" is way, way above tire blowouts for causes of accidents. Like, FIRST. My family's life is more important than my music collection. Maybe yours isn't (if you want to go the guilt trip route).
It tells me that buying used is even more dangerous.

Ok if people can have a issue with a new tire why would you even think about putting a used tire on a car. You have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how that used tire was treated in its life. The tire could have been hit against curbs, impacted with potholes, overinflated or driven under inflated for most of its life. You have no idea.

I don’t much care what the top 20 leading causes of accidents are. We’re talking about used tires and blowouts.

Blowing a tire isn’t the accident. Hitting a object is considered the accident.

Hey to each his own. My life my family and other people’s lives are more important than a set of tires.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Ok if people can have a issue with a new tire why would you even think about putting a used tire on a car. You have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how that used tire was treated in its life. The tire could have been hit against curbs, impacted with potholes, overinflated or driven under inflated for most of its life. You have no idea.

I don’t much care what the top 20 leading causes of accidents are. We’re talking about used tires and blowouts.

Hey to each his own. My life my family and other people’s lives are more important than a set of tires.
No we're not talking about used tires and blowouts. We're just talking about used tires. Blowouts are too rare to be a real factor in an economic decision. Rare enough that some thoughtful and rational people disregard the risk of that particular life-threatening event within the context of practical auto maintenance. The fact that they disagree with you does not, by itself, make then wrong, and playing the guilt card does not change that. These people love and treasure their families just as much as you do.

An accident is an unintentional event that results in impact damaage to the vehical and/or injury to the occupants. If a tire blows out and as a direct result the car loses control and experiences impact damage or personbal injuries, that is an accident with tire failure listed as a contributing cause. The reason why blowouts are so infrequently the cause of accidents is because in a great majority of cases, the driver experiencing one is able to keep control of the car and bring it to a stop without casualty.

Your family and their lives are more important than your entire car. But will you pay $30K more for a Volvo, because your family is more likely to survive a crash in one? Or do you just say you bought new tires, that's enough. A lot of single moms have to make a choice near the end of the month, of a tire or groceries. She does not need to be guided by someone in diffeent economic circumsances.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Discount tires offer a lot of lesser known house brands for probably what used "named" brands go for at these used tire shops. I would NEVER buy a used tire, people unload them for iffy reasons.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No we're not talking about used tires and blowouts. We're just talking about used tires. Blowouts are too rare to be a real factor in an economic decision. Rare enough that some thoughtful and rational people disregard the risk of that particular life-threatening event within the context of practical auto maintenance. The fact that they disagree with you does not, by itself, make then wrong, and playing the guilt card does not change that. These people love and treasure their families just as much as you do.

An accident is an unintentional event that results in impact damaage to the vehical and/or injury to the occupants. If a tire blows out and as a direct result the car loses control and experiences impact damage or personbal injuries, that is an accident with tire failure listed as a contributing cause. The reason why blowouts are so infrequently the cause of accidents is because in a great majority of cases, the driver experiencing one is able to keep control of the car and bring it to a stop without casualty.

Your family and their lives are more important than your entire car. But will you pay $30K more for a Volvo, because your family is more likely to survive a crash in one? Or do you just say you bought new tires, that's enough. A lot of single moms have to make a choice near the end of the month, of a tire or groceries. She does not need to be guided by someone in diffeent economic circumsances.

Feel free to do as you please with your car. When you’re purchasing used tires you have absolutely no idea what kind of life that tire lived. You probably never had a blowout. Which means you have no idea what it takes to handle a car when a blowout occurs. A lot of single moms make decisions on finances and they don’t need bad advice either.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

And the tires you're driving on are used, just as much as a set that has 90% tread life at the used tire store.

If you're taking a chance even with new tires, then why spend hundreds per corner to have the same thing happen, eh? Because for either scenario, it's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY! That's why.

You've had tires you bought new blow out. I've never had used tires blow out, I think my statistics are better than yours. So there.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I would NEVER buy a used tire, people unload them for iffy reasons.
You don't buy used cars, do you? Don't tell me that if you buy a $3000 used car you immediately put on a grand worth of new tires, just because you're paranoid. People unload tires for similar reasons as they get rid of used cars: they want new. Sometimes that's custom upsized wheels and tires. Especially with new car takeoffs. In the case of sports cars and sport sedans, that's to get better than the stock tires that come with the car (like moving to Michelin Cup tires for maximum grip that only a couple factory cars come with). The stock tires are fine for street sue, but they want the ultimate grip so they swap them out. In the case of standard tires, often they come off of wrecked cars where the tires on teh opposite side/end of the car that was wrecked are just fine. Nothing iffy about them.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
I always buy used tires ...
To make a tree swing!
Or use them at our dock at the lake ...

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And the tires you're driving on are used, just as much as a set that has 90% tread life at the used tire store.

If you're taking a chance even with new tires, then why spend hundreds per corner to have the same thing happen, eh? Because for either scenario, it's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY! That's why.

You've had tires you bought new blow out. I've never had used tires blow out, I think my statistics are better than yours. So there.
I don’t really give a hoot what you do to your car bud. How you maintain it what tires you use or if you set it on fire. There is a reason why buying used tires from unknown sources are a bad idea. Plenty of info out there as to why such purchases are bad. But I buy what I can afford and I think is best for me . You buy what you can afford and best for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive