Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:44 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
No, an actual road going pickup truck - https://www.tfltruck.com/2016/06/for...-pickup-truck/
So it's an actual, road-going pickup truck that's not street legal anywhere in the US and is a "UHV."

Thanks, that's helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 03:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So it's an actual, road-going pickup truck that's not street legal anywhere in the US and is a "UHV."

Thanks, that's helpful.
https://www.mahindraautomotivena.com/roxor
https://jalopnik.com/the-mahindra-ro...-am-1823460351
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-simil...eep-1823474555
The Mahindra Roxor is the retro off-roader of dreams, as long as you stay off-road | Fox News
The Mahindra ROXOR is that brand-new sort-of-Jeep CJ3 you've been looking for

So a UTV. Whatever, it's a dumb term for a golf cart

Old 04-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
So a UTV. Whatever, it's a dumb term for a golf cart
Effort appreciated, although I do feel it's the obligation of the poster to support his/her own posts with more than a blind link to a rewrite of a PR with almost no relevant info.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
Effort appreciated, although I do feel it's the obligation of the poster to support his/her own posts with more than a blind link to a rewrite of a PR with almost no relevant info.
Not my fault you lack reading comprehension abilities.

What I linked to has absolutely nothing to do with the Roxor....

Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Mahindra tried to bring a small diesel pickup truck here around 10 years ago, but apparently failed due to some legal reasons. They were in the news last year as they were apparently making another go at it. Last I read, the EPA approved them, though I don't know if it's gone anywhere since then.

I doubt they're going to have much penetration into the market though, as I recall they were planning on running a pretty small, by American standards, engine in the thing..something like 75hp. Should get pretty good MPGs, but considering most diesel truck buyers here think they NEED 1000HP for some reason...
Mahindra was going to build these diesel pickup trucks in Springfield, Ohio.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
"a leader" ... not hardly.

MB had long sold many more diesel cars than Peugeot in the USA, along with VW diesel sales numbers dwarfing Peugeot's. Few diesel Peugots survive today from that era while many MB and VW diesels are still going strong and are sought-after cars for diesel enthusiasts today.
Peugeot was selling diesel cars in the US before the VW Rabbit existed. Mercedes and Peugeot were the only readily available diesel cars in the US before the diesel Rabbit and the GM diesels.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
What I linked to has absolutely nothing to do with the Roxor....
It has very little to do with anything but some outdated rumors about possible models that might be brought to the US in some form, with (still) no explanation of your acronym, all copied indiscriminately from someone's PR or an auto show lounge. Just a tad... vaporous.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Peugeot was selling diesel cars in the US before the VW Rabbit existed. Mercedes and Peugeot were the only readily available diesel cars in the US before the diesel Rabbit and the GM diesels.
I'm pretty sure there are people out there in diesel Rabbits that still haven't gotten to their destinations.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Indeed. And in my local marketplace, MB sold many multiples of diesel cars to each one of the few diesel Peugeots sold here. 'benz had dealers around the region while Peugeot had one small outlet in Denver serving several states.

I wouldn't call the availability of the diesel Peugeots in that era "readily" available. Dreiling, the dealer in Denver and covering several surrounding states ... sold only a few, at the most, each quarter. Total Peugeot sales in the region were pathetically low which most certainly reflected the scarce dealership presence as well as so few aftermarket shops which had competent knowledgeable techs on the basic car, let alone diesel techs that could/would work on a car.

When I bought my retail shop from an elderly gentleman who had previously been the diesel tech/shop foreman for LJ Dreiling in Denver, he was the "go-to" resource for servicing these cars in the region. Included in the shop assets were a larger parts inventory for Peugeot (and older R-model Renaults) than Dreiling kept in stock. Indeed, I acquired factory tooling that the dealer didn't have. At that time, the shop books showed a regular Peugeot clientele with less than 20 diesel Peugeots ... and I came into the shop with over 100 diesel 'benz's clients and grew my 'benz clientele from there while the diesel Peugeot market shrank.

Perhaps other areas of the USA had a better presence of Peugeot dealers and more diesel Peugeot sales.

But Peugeot in the Rocky Mountain region was negligible for sales volume and very few cars stayed on the roads here into the 1980's. Even when Peugeot tried to get into the taxicab marketplace here and offered some blow-out diesel promo deals here, the sales were very few. To the best of my knowledge, the few cars that they did sell didn't last a year in the commercial use before being traded in on other vehicles. I was offered several at well under $2,000 and IIRC the new sale price was in the mid-teens. Quite a loss for those owners. At one point in time, I purchased the Colorado car license registry list for my shop marketing effort, to send out postcards to registered owners of car makes/models I targeted. I recall that there were only 2 other Peugeot station wagons registered in the state at the time I bought the list ... and one of them was a gasoline powered wagon owned by my secretary at the time. The 604's were gasoline powered and most of the 505's were gasoline powered, too. Peugeot diesel presence here was at it's highest with 504D's ... and most of them were in Denver or nearby.

My usual offer for private party diesel Peugeots in reasonable cosmetic condition and not needing major underhood work was less than $500. Some of those Peugeot owners would be quite insulted and indignant about my "too low" offer, but after trying to get higher trade-in numbers, would frequently come back to my shop and reluctantly accept my offer. I'd refurbish the mechanical issues, detail the cars, and use them for shop loaners while my MB clients were getting their cars repaired. For the most part, sooner or later I'd get an unsolicited offer to buy the Peugeot from one of those customers for one of their school age children. I'd let them give me an offer, which typically was far in excess of what I needed to get out of the cars with a good profit.

Well, it's been fun strolling down memory lane about these cars and my years of working on them and owning them ... but they weren't an industry "leader" in any sense of the word. Not enough sales, and way too many problems poorly supported by the dealership in Denver. It was no loss to see Peugeot fold their tent in this marketplace.

PS: just to give you an idea of how badly Peugeot diesels were serviced by the dealer here, I made many a "friend" as a Peugeot diesel tech by properly adjusting the valves so that the engines started and ran properly. Drieling's diesel tech (and the few aftermarket techs that would open the hood on one) didn't know that the firing order was from the firewall forward, not the front of the engine back. Using the factory valve adjust service sequence, the valves would be adjusted improperly and yield an engine that was hard starting, low power, and smoky. I had one customer almost crash his Peugeot leaving the parking lot when he stuck his foot into the throttle like he normally did, expecting so little power response. I'd adjusted the valves and told him that the car would make "normal" power now, but he didn't relate that to the potential difference in performance. I bought more than several diesel Peugeots very cheaply ($150-200) where the owners were so disgusted with the engine performance/starting issues and didn't believe that I could rectify the problem with proper "tuning" (ie, valve adjustment and clean filters and setting the injection timing to spec); they were happy to part with their problem cars to somebody "crazy" enough to buy it at all rather than seeing it go to the wrecking yard for less money.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
It has very little to do with anything but some outdated rumors about possible models that might be brought to the US in some form, with (still) no explanation of your acronym, all copied indiscriminately from someone's PR or an auto show lounge. Just a tad... vaporous.
Acronym? You mean I actually had to explain the EPA stands for "Environmental Protection Agency"????? I never mentioned the UHV or whatever.

I also quite clearly stated that I didn't know if any progress had been made on the truck, and it was a 2nd go around with POSSIBLY bringing the trucks here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive