Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:28 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

Usually the worst driver's in snowy conditions around here are the ones who think their all wheel drive suddenly made them invincible to the laws of physics, and not the people with out of state plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Lol, we don’t see anyone with those license plates here!

Old 04-07-2018, 12:14 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Illinois drivers, yes. They infect Wisconsin roads and are always going way over the average flow of traffic.. you'll often catch them going 90-100 mph on the interstates. Though I'd rather have them on the roads than someone doing the speed limit in the left lane, they just plain drive like maniacs.
YES, so true! I lived in Illinois my entire life until two years ago when we moved to Indiana. People who live in the Chicagoland area very rarely go the speed limit! Most drive way faster! As far as driving in the winter though we’re used to it and most have 4WD. In Indiana everyone drives at a much slower pace and it drives my DH crazy!

Old 04-07-2018, 12:50 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I keep hearing of people who say to stay as far from these people as possible when it snows, plates frim places like California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, etc.
I sure do. I watch for northern plates. We don"t get much snow here in my part of the South, we get ice storms and I've

decided that folks with northern plates can't drive on ice either, although they all say they can.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I heard about it regionally, like when I lived in the DC area, in Arlington, it was a joke about "watch for Maryland drivers", interesting enough, many wrecks in Arlington always involved and were caused by someone with Maryland plates.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I sure do. I watch for northern plates. We don"t get much snow here in my part of the South, we get ice storms and I've

decided that folks with northern plates can't drive on ice either, although they all say they can.
The smart ones of those who grew up in the ice belt, like me, know better than to go out in an ice storm. It's just asking for an accident.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 PM

188 posts, read 203,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When it's snowing and the roads are icy, reading license plates is the last thing on my mind. Besides, you can have someone with lots of winter experience driving a car with southern plates or someone with no winter driving a car with northern plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I prefer to watch the road when driving, not fixate on license plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
In bad weather, I keep a few extra car lengths away from any vehicle, with or without any state's plate on it.
^^^These.

I assume everyone in front of me might stop suddenly, so I try to keep a safe distance no matter what the weather is like. The state of the license plate is irrelevant to me.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Yes, California and Oregon plates. But then I try to steer clear of them even when it's 95 degrees and sunny.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:21 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
License plates no but I try to steer clear of cars with bumper stickers that read "Resist" or "Trump is not my President" or "Obama/Biden 2102" or a "Elizabeth Warren for Senate".

I find these people are often distracted and easily angered.

As for driving in snowy conditions I try not to but it does make sense to give someone extra room if they are not used to driving in snow as indicated by their plate.
LOL, as a Texan, I’m used to seeing people from the midwest and the east coast thinking ice is the same as snow and slide all over the place. I stay clear of everyone, especially old POS cars with make America great again stickers.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Atlanta goes "ape" when it snows up there. They have neither the skills nor equipment to deal with it.

In Florida a huge number have transplanted from "up nawth" and brought their evil habits with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive