Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

From your posts, it's not clear who has the title and lien on your car. What are the terms of the loan? What interest rate are you paying? What is your credit rating like?

You have two issues:

1- Dealing with that financial entity that has the title to your car, whoever it is. I'm sure your state motor vehicles can tell you who has the title to your car. It very well could have been sold to another financial institution.

2- Getting your car serviced. You absolutely do not want to get a 2014 Honda that is off warranty serviced at the dealership. Dealerships make most of their money on the service side of the business. That glitzy building is almost completely funded by overcharging for maintenance. You want an independent mechanic to service your car. Your highest priority should be to find one you can trust. A Honda is as vanilla a car as you can get. Anybody knows how to work on them. The car should need very little beyond the scheduled maintenance, brakes, and tires for the next 4 or 5 years. It's totally reasonable that a 4 year old car will need tires soon. The same for brake pads and possibly rotors. Find the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual and follow it.

At this point, you're way beyond lemon law protection. You really don't ever want to set foot in that dealership again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I refinance because I knew I could get a better deal.
45 days was awhile ago. The loan was done around then.
I didn’t take her word. She explained it to me and when I got home I reread it and it said the same things.

So there’s no way to report this? Can’t I go to the BBB or something?
I'm confused. If you've refinanced with another bank since buying the car, then it's a moot point. You've essentially paid off the dealership. whatever contract they gave you has been satisfied. Better to move on and just file it away as lessons learned for next time. I mean, what do you hope to accomplish now?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm confused. If you've refinanced with another bank since buying the car, then it's a moot point. You've essentially paid off the dealership. whatever contract they gave you has been satisfied. Better to move on and just file it away as lessons learned for next time. I mean, what do you hope to accomplish now?
Reporting them won’t help me but they may not do it again to someone else.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From your posts, it's not clear who has the title and lien on your car. What are the terms of the loan? What interest rate are you paying? What is your credit rating like?

You have two issues:

1- Dealing with that financial entity that has the title to your car, whoever it is. I'm sure your state motor vehicles can tell you who has the title to your car. It very well could have been sold to another financial institution.

2- Getting your car serviced. You absolutely do not want to get a 2014 Honda that is off warranty serviced at the dealership. Dealerships make most of their money on the service side of the business. That glitzy building is almost completely funded by overcharging for maintenance. You want an independent mechanic to service your car. Your highest priority should be to find one you can trust. A Honda is as vanilla a car as you can get. Anybody knows how to work on them. The car should need very little beyond the scheduled maintenance, brakes, and tires for the next 4 or 5 years. It's totally reasonable that a 4 year old car will need tires soon. The same for brake pads and possibly rotors. Find the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual and follow it.

At this point, you're way beyond lemon law protection. You really don't ever want to set foot in that dealership again.
There’s a fee in my contract where the dealership does maintenance at no extra charge for the life of my car. Things like oil changes are “free”.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
There’s a fee in my contract where the dealership does maintenance at no extra charge for the life of my car. Things like oil changes are “free”.
So let them do the 'free' things and take the car elsewhere for the other service. The dealership is trying to pick your pocket with expensive fees for services that are cheap at an independent mechanic.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 AM

529 posts, read 1,202,705 times
Lightbulb high maintenance

Quote:
The last week of January I brought a used 2014 Honda. I love the car and went to a big dealership to get it. The salesman seemed straight forward about everything but when I met the financial lady I felt like something I couldn’t put my finger on was amidst and if I did put my finger on it I’d have to wash it. So I signed my paperwork and went home with my car. Around Valentine’s Day my oil change light came on. (I asked before I left the dealership in January if they needed to change my oil because the sticker said October and she (financial lady) told me that they must have not changed the sticker and don’t worry about it). So Valentine’s Day I go back down there and get my oil changed and when I get there they try to sell me a tire rotation and say I’ll need 4 new tires in less than a year! I am livid but I accept it and go home. Later that day I call my loan company to make an early payment on the note. The bank tells me that they don’t know who I am and I don’t have a account with them. I flip out and start panicking because I haven’t brought a car in over a decade and I don’t know what’s going on. I call the dealership and the financial “lady “ only says I am handling it and ask me for more bank statements. I take her the papers she ask for and wait a week. I call the bank back. They still don’t have a account for me. It’s now close to the end of February. I call the dealership back. Again she tells me I’m dealing with it. In the meantime I started getting letters from different banks saying the car isn’t worth what they’re asking to cover! (Did I mention that I suffer from anxiety). I even got a letter from the same bank I’m supposed to have a loan with offering different terms then the loan I signed while I was there. During this time I call a lawyer because the financial lady seems to only know the phrase I’m handling it. The lawyer is really no help because he wants to look at my contract but won’t tell me why. So I call the DMV dealership department and complain. DMV isn’t much help either. Am I over reacting? Maybe. But I feel like I’m being taken for a ride and I’m not enjoying it. Anyway I vent a bit and calm down. I call my bank to refinance but you need an original loan to refinance don’t you. 40+ days after walking in and driving off the lot I get a loan. A loan that wasn’t insured but nonetheless. I refinance and I’m happy. Kinda... For some reason my gap insurance was literally twice as much from the dealership than it is with my bank. I’m feeling financially taken advantage of. Is there any thing I can do about that? Is it because I’m a girl
-It's good to have the oil change done right away when you buy a used car because you don't know for sure what was done before.

-Tire rotations are usually done once or twice a year. The service is inexpensive and is sometimes free with oil change.

-It's a 2014 Accord, so the tires are about 4 years old? Seems reasonable to be needing new tires soon. (Should have checked the tires before buying the car.)

-I don't understand the part about the loan. Let me consult my lawyer and get back to you.

-Financing through dealer can be expensive if you're not prepared to counter.

-Yes, the dealer took advantage of you, but nothing illegal based on the information you provided.

-Nothing you can do about the papers you already signed.

Quote:
Is it because I’m a girl
-No. Dealerships are equal-opportunity. They will fleece . . . er . . . "maximize their profit" off any customer, regardless of gender. The dealership probably sensed your anxious nature and preyed on your vulnerability.

Next time, bring a pal along when you have car-related business. Doesn't have to be a car expert. Just have someone there for emotional support. Don't make decisions on the same visit. Hire a professional to inspect a used car before you buy it. Arrange your own financing with a bank before going to dealership. Understand the paperwork that you sign. Oh BTW, that's a nice car. Forget about the buying experience and enjoy it.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
(Did I mention that I suffer from anxiety).
I think this is more the issue than anything. I read so much panic in the OP. Now maybe some things went wrong and the dealership didnt handle things correctly but I think your panic added to a lot of it. The dealership should have told you when your first payment was due (usually 45 days). It is not uncommon at all for the loan to take 30 days to set up so I wasnt surprised when you called the banks days after making the deal and they had no record of you.

One thing I CAN tell you is that it had nothing to do with you being a girl especially when the finance officer was a girl

Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times
When you buy a car, look at the oil on the dipstick. It should look light and clear if they really changed the oil. It is that simple.

And as for the tires, why not take a look at the tread and know the condition of the tires before saying "I'll take it". If you cannot even do this, then no you are not qualified to handle this business on your own. You will be taken advantage of almost every time.

And how do you expect a lawyer to give any advice if you are preventing him from looking at your contract??

So, I disagree, I think that it does have to do with her being a girl. She sounds like she was sleep walking /blindfolded through the whole ordeal. I cannot imagine a man being that clueless about every detail, from mechanics, to contracts, to financing.

She needs to bring a competent man to help with potentially dangerous transactions such as used car dealerships.

Sorry to be harsh, but these are facts. The dealership probably decided that you were not sharp and that they could earn extra money on your business.

Last edited by teakboat; 04-17-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 08:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you show him the contract? He needs to see it to determine what's went wrong.
It looks like a shady dealership.
BTW: did YOU read the sale bill/contract you signed at the dealership? Do you understand the terms and conditions?
Does that "financial lady" has a boss? Did you tried to talk with anyone in the upper management?
Is that a legit dealership???
Quote:
1.Its one of the biggest dealerships in RVA
2. I called the GM and never got a call back BUT talked to a manager who told me in Virginia they have up to 45 days to turn in papers
3. I didn’t read the contract there she explained the numbers to me as she flipped through the pages
Let me ask, because I did not see an answer.

Did you show the attorney the contract?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Reporting them won’t help me but they may not do it again to someone else.
Although not a dealer I would want to shop at this is a tactic that happens at dealerships all over the country.

Another note: Why do you think it is because your a girl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive