Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When parking in a parking lot, I prefer to:
Park FRONT END first into the parking spot. 90 64.75%
Park REAR END first into the parking spot. 49 35.25%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,250 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what is your preferred method of parking when you park in a parking lot? Do you simply go in front first or do you back into the spot and what are your reasons for choosing one over the other?

For me I almost always park head first in mainly because:

- its quicker. Especially for a crowded parking lot you can simply dive right in and take the spot fast and also you don't have to make cars in front or behind you wait while you're backing into a spot.

- you get easy access to your trunk. If you're shopping and have stuff in a shopping cart, you have plenty of room to load stuff into your trunk if you park head first. If you parked rear first good luck trying to get to your trunk.

Now I know the main argument for backing into a spot is that when you leave you have good vision and don't have to worry about hitting someone or something on your way out, but really this is a minor thing. Namely all you need to do to negate this is:

- back out SLOWLY. IE Namely hit your gas pedal gently so that its just enough to move your car at crawl speed and then put your foot near the brake. At such a slow speed and with your foot over the brake in case you need to stop quickly, the chances of you hitting something is extremely low.

- constantly look around. As you're backing out slowly, just constantly look left, right and rear and when you finally back out enough to have full vison of the road left and right, then you can speed up reversing abit if you want.

And that's it. Easy and simple and pretty much the advantage of reversing into a spot is eliminated. But anyways, please vote in the poll and lets see which way people prefer to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:45 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I make it a rule to always back in when I can without causing a dangerous situation. I back into my driveway, garage, parking spots, etc. When parking it a lot, I feel you have better situational awareness when driving down the row to see what's around you and if it's safe to back in, vs getting in the car and not seeing mom and baby stroller coming down the row if I spend 5 mins setting up my GPS or something.

Of course, that's not the only reason I back in. I always want to be able to get into my car, and leave the spot (quickly if necessary) by putting the car in Drive.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
In a lot front first, but I find a space with no car in front and "pull through" which is the same effect as backing in. In a parking garage I always back in.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:16 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
My car has a backup camera, 8 inch screen, rear parking sensors and rear cross traffic alert. Backing out of a parking spot poses very little risk. And try backing into a parking spot in a parking lot that is all angle parking. Even when parking spots are perpendicular, it's hard to back up and stay in the center of the parking spot unless your mirrors angle downward in reverse or you have good sized convex mirrors. It's much easier to just pull in and back out.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:20 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
I always pull into a parking space. I do see some people occasionally back into a parking space and I usually assume they want to hide an expired registration tag or they want to hide their license plate. If you back in you limit your access to your trunk or hatch since you'll have another car right next to it and you'll have to go in by the side.
People backing out of a space have the right of way and cars should stop for them unless they're already going past the vehicle backing up. Many don't, they'll see a car backing out of a space and want to pass it and then honk when the car doesn't stop. Its not a road, its a parking lot.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
Cool What is Right-of-Way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
People backing out of a space have the right of way and cars should stop for them unless they're already going past the vehicle backing up. Many don't, they'll see a car backing out of a space and want to pass it and then honk when the car doesn't stop. Its not a road, its a parking lot.
You NEVER have the right of way when you are pulling out of a parking space. Did your mom teach you that one?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:30 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
People backing out of a space have the right of way

Since when?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
I always pull into a parking space. I do see some people occasionally back into a parking space and I usually assume they want to hide an expired registration tag or they want to hide their license plate. If you back in you limit your access to your trunk or hatch since you'll have another car right next to it and you'll have to go in by the side.
(Emphasis added.)

Nope.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
It depends. If I'm going to load the trunk or hatch (depending on which car I'm driving) I'll pull in nose first so I can easily get to the trunk or hatch to load it. If I'm not, I usually back in, like I do at work every day. At home, I'll pull in backwards if I'm UNloading the trunk or hatch, and nose first if I'm not. But I live on a dead end street so it's not like I have to deal with traffic or anyone to look out for when backing out.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Oh, and in many cases, head in parking is the only choice and sometimes legally required. Like these:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive