Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 05:07 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,599 times

Advertisements

It's $6.20/US gallon here in the UK but still EVs are only 5% of the new car market, though that's increasing quite rapidly. The cost to buy EVs is still high enough that most people don't choose one, most people can't afford Tesla prices and the cheaper EVs still have limited range which puts people off. Come back in 10 years time and I'm sure that EVs will be 50% of the market, but we are not quite there yet as a viable proposition for most new car buyers. A typical small petrol car here or even a larger diesel car will get 40-50mp (US) g and they are a lot more fuel efficient than even 10 years ago.

Norway has a huge market share for EVs, they are the most popular models there, but that's because regular non-electric cars have huge taxes on them that makes EVs the cheap option. In most countries that isn't the case even if there are incentives of a few thousand $ for buying electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:16 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,054,943 times
In the Los Angeles area gasoline is around $3.90 (regular) to $4.50 a gallon (premium). Apparently gasoline is not too expensive yet because traffic is still awful on weekends and it feels like I'm seeing multiples more Ford Raptors and Dodge Chargers rumbling around.

I have a Tesla Model 3 so I don't drive my second car (a 6 cylinder gasoline powered). For March I saved around $200 in fuel costs by driving the Tesla even while factoring in the cost of electricity. I expect the savings to be even greater in April.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
In the Los Angeles area gasoline is around $3.90 (regular) to $4.50 a gallon (premium). Apparently gasoline is not too expensive yet because traffic is still awful on weekends and it feels like I'm seeing multiples more Ford Raptors and Dodge Chargers rumbling around.

I have a Tesla Model 3 so I don't drive my second car (a 6 cylinder gasoline powered). For March I saved around $200 in fuel costs by driving the Tesla even while factoring in the cost of electricity. I expect the savings to be even greater in April.
How much did you pay for your model 3?

Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 PM

342 posts, read 318,998 times
We'll know gasoline is too expensive in the U.S. when full size pickups are no longer the top three best selling vehicles.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:20 PM

Yeah, that seems kinda weird from this side of the Atlantic, what do all those people do with those huge pickup trucks? You find a few here, usually people working in trades where they need to carry a lot of stuff all the time, though vans are more popular for that. For somebody who doesn't need big carrying capacity for work though it seems like overkill, a small hatchback car will get you to the office and back fine.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Extra finance costs probably eat up at least that $200/month fuel saving compared with a similar non-electric car I think. Don't get me wrong I like electric cars and they are the future but I don't think they make purely financial sense just yet for most people given the big extra purchase cost.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:45 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,054,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Considering its level of performance, a very reasonable price

but if saving $$ is the main concern then a prius is a better bet.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:08 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times
$3.00 is my threshold to "high prices," but will it stop me from driving? No.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Considering its level of performance, a very reasonable price

but if saving $$ is the main concern then a prius is a better bet.
So are you really saving $200 a month then if you paid a "very reasonable" price?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 PM

342 posts, read 318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Yeah, that seems kinda weird from this side of the Atlantic, what do all those people do with those huge pickup trucks? You find a few here, usually people working in trades where they need to carry a lot of stuff all the time, though vans are more popular for that. For somebody who doesn't need big carrying capacity for work though it seems like overkill, a small hatchback car will get you to the office and back fine.
Most of the time the pickup bed is empty. A small percentage of owners use them for work, but most just drive around their suburbs back to their house on a quarter acre lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive