Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Free fuel for 43+ yrs...

gas, (Ick) that stuff is dangerous!, (as NJ or Oregon! where you are not allowed to 'pump-your-own' ) GAS (Ick) is expensive and tough to 'brew-your-own'.

Many more environmentally conscious, and safe, and more efficient options. (often for FREE).

50mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs (or toxic batteries) required.

40,000 gal saved for others to waste.

Eventually your spigot will get turned off. As fuel becomes more precious the bio diesel type alternatives will be getting recycled. My friend used to make his own diesel. He can’t anymore. Most places where he used to get the free cooking oil no longer give it away as a recycler buys it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 04:25 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
When it costs more than a fountain drink. So far, it doesn't.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
$4 in 2008 is not the same as $4 in 2019
Didn't I just say that?

Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Free fuel for 43+ yrs...

gas, (Ick) that stuff is dangerous!, (as NJ or Oregon! where you are not allowed to 'pump-your-own' ) GAS (Ick) is expensive and tough to 'brew-your-own'.

Many more environmentally conscious, and safe, and more efficient options. (often for FREE).

50mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs (or toxic batteries) required.

40,000 gal saved for others to waste.
So where are those 40,000 gallons you saved?

Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times
Default I'm guessing but here's what I figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So where are those 40,000 gallons you saved?

I think Stealth Rabbit is referring to the life time of fuel he saved by driving and getting 50 MPG from that rabbit of his. With an average of 15,000 miles a year that translates to 40,000 plus gallons of fuel used over time that frame. And I gather from his other posts that he has created his own BIO diesel fuel by gathering free french fry oil from fast food restaurants and doing his own refining.

I could be wrong about all of it but I wish I knew him when 30% of my Trucking Company's budget was diesel fuel costs. All the answers on how to do what he's done are on the web. I just shoulda, woulda. Here's to a smarter man then most. So with the cost of car replacements that he also avoided and the free fuel he's saved somewhere upwards of 150,000 dollars. Start compounding and the money may have paid for a house with interest. Here's hoping I'm right Stealth Rabbit.

When I comes to th high price of gas, you came up with a creative answer. Other people have gone commercial recently with the same process in my area and they are making a ton of money.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
I think Stealth Rabbit is referring to the life time of fuel he saved by driving and getting 50 MPG from that rabbit of his. With an average of 15,000 miles a year that translates to 40,000 plus gallons of fuel used over time that frame. And I gather from his other posts that he has created his own BIO diesel fuel by gathering free french fry oil from fast food restaurants and doing his own refining.

I could be wrong about all of it but I wish I knew him when 30% of my Trucking Company's budget was diesel fuel costs. All the answers on how to do what he's done are on the web. I just shoulda, woulda. Here's to a smarter man then most. So with the cost of car replacements that he also avoided and the free fuel he's saved somewhere upwards of 150,000 dollars. Start compounding and the money may have paid for a house with interest. Here's hoping I'm right Stealth Rabbit.

When I comes to th high price of gas, you came up with a creative answer. Other people have gone commercial recently with the same process in my area and they are making a ton of money.
Believe me trucking companies charge their customers a fuel surcharge on their loads.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:16 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
$2.83 this morning, at a Shell station that bottomed out at $2.49. The Mobil on the Hutch was $3.19, having bottomed at $2.77. So both up a little more than $.40 since late February.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:25 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Umm right now. $4+ per gallon here in Cali.

Will it stay the same or will it go back down ever?
I thought Columbia had cheap fuel?

Old 04-21-2019, 03:17 PM

1,069 posts, read 786,948 times
Default Fuel surcharges were non existent during my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Believe me trucking companies charge their customers a fuel surcharge on their loads.
In the 80's and early 90's diesel was still cheap. The 1973 Arab embargo kicked it off and the surcharges from that time didn't last long at all. None in the 80's and in 1993 they began again. I say God help the owner operators and companies of today because the profit margins in that business are nothing to brag about. An unexpected rise in fuel or a downturn in freight could easily put you out of that business.

As for out record refinery outputs presently, I think they wouldn't be trying to lease Federal lands for coal mining if we had that much oil left in the ground. As for (fracking) I see that being similar to getting what left out out of the cake frosting bowl when mom was done with it. Thirty years ago I read books to my son about Geologists and them saying we had reached peak oil production already and there was not much more to be found. However the goal posts in the oil game have been moved again for a least the 4th time in my lifetime

That said the oil production in our country is booming currently so we will see. With autonomous vehicles heading our way very rapidly and third world demand also peaking concurrently with oil production I'd say we will see interesting times ahead.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
At $1.5 euro/liter the Europeans are paying the equivalent of $7/gallon for gas/diesel. I can't imagine the cost of driving anything other than a hybrid or economy car over there.
Of course, most of Europe has good mass transit, even 200 kph trains. They ride bicycles more, and even walk distances up to 3 km. so they are not as dependent on gasoline as Americans are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive