Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,546 times

Advertisements

I was backing out of my driveway and my neighbors car was parked along the front of their house and I accidentally hit their car and told them to take it down to an auto body shop and we would take care of the cost to fix the small dent. They never brought the car down and it has been about 5 months now so we assumed it was their intention to let it go as it wasn't that bad.

The other day we found out the car was totaled in an accident and the insurance deducted $600 for the prior dent on the side of the car and now she is looking for the $600 from us.

My problem with this whole situation is that the auto body shop is a friend of mine and would of probably fixed the dent for much less and the fact that had she brought it down to the auto body shop for an estimate and it was too much I would have used my insurance on the property damage claim part of my insurance which has no deductible.

I really don't think I should have to pay since she never pursued the dent before the total and don't even know if she would of done anything.

I also must state that after this incident but before they totaled the car, I did notice another small dent in the car which was not my fault.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
I'd ignore the whole situation,you gave her ample time to take you up on your offer to recompense now half a year later she wants money? is the car still available for inspection as to the damages you caused? if not id say let her take it to small claims court. Or to be a good neighbor split the difference and offer $300.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:48 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,198,645 times
Just pay it. It's your neighbor and you backed into their car. They could take it where they want to get it fixed. That's not your decision. It may have been a $1,000 repair if it was taken in five month earlier. You got a got a break for 5 months and now it's time to pay it. When you have an accident, you are supposed to notify your insurance company right away.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,546 times
thanks for you advice we thought about offering her $200, but like I said I could of used my insurance and had no deductible that is what makes me so mad.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:40 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
$600 is cheap. Pay it and be free of it.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:00 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee600 View Post
thanks for you advice we thought about offering her $200, but like I said I could of used my insurance and had no deductible that is what makes me so mad.
Give the neighbor your insurance information and call your agent and tell him the story.

You may have up to three years to file a claim.

https://injury.findlaw.com/car-accid...me-limits.html

Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Just pay it. It's your neighbor and you backed into their car. They could take it where they want to get it fixed. That's not your decision. It may have been a $1,000 repair if it was taken in five month earlier. You got a got a break for 5 months and now it's time to pay it. When you have an accident, you are supposed to notify your insurance company right away.

^^^^^ Absolutely. You hit them, they did not hit you. $600 is CHEAP, a girl backed into my car and scratched it and put a slight dent in it..............$1900.00.

You are not taking responsibility for something you did wrong. Your neighbor was under no obligation to go to your "friend", they had the right to choose who fixed it.

Time to be a good neighbor and citizen, and do the right thing..........pay them the $600, you got off easy.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee600 View Post

$200 doesn't fix anything on a body. You may have not had a deductible, but your insurance rate may have gone up. Stop being cheap.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:02 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
$600 is cheap. Pay it and be free of it.
This. You can't properly fix scratch nowadays for less than $500. Even if they did have it fixed 5 months ago, they were under no obligation to take it to your friend. They are legally allowed to take it wherever they want. So you can't say that it would have cost you less.

Also, why would you make an insurance claim for a few hundred dollars?

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
By your negligence you damaged your neighbor's car. According to the insurance company your negligent act cost your neighbor $600 in a reduced insurance payout for the totaled vehicle.

If your neighbor sues you you have the ability to defend by arguing that he failed to mitigate his damages by accepting your offer to have the car repaired at your expense. Whether you are successful is dubious, but the range of possible outcomes is you owe your neighbor $600 or you owe him some unspecified amount less than $600, let's call it $300 just for the hell of it.

How much do you want to pay a lawyer or your insurance carrier in increased premiums to save a potential $300?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive