Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
For me

1. VW Beetle
2. Kia Soul
3. Ford Explorer
4. Honda Odyssey (2011 to present models only)
5. Toyota Corolla
6. Mini Cooper
7. Chrysler 300
8. Honda pilot(This one was debatable for me to include, but the 2016 to now model is definitely worth the mention though)
9. Jeep Grand Cherokee
10. Acura MDX

Honorable mentions

Honda CR-V
Chevy Malibu
Ford Edge
Honda Integra (debatable)
Toyota Camry
Scion XD
PT Cruiser
Nissan Sentra
Ford Escape

I had a lot of honorable mentions to get out there for sure, anyways. Time for your own lists I guess.
As I now drive my wife's prior RX350, I'd add that to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
For me

1. VW Beetle
2. Kia Soul
3. Ford Explorer
4. Honda Odyssey (2011 to present models only)
5. Toyota Corolla
6. Mini Cooper
7. Chrysler 300
8. Honda pilot(This one was debatable for me to include, but the 2016 to now model is definitely worth the mention though)
9. Jeep Grand Cherokee
10. Acura MDX

Honorable mentions

Honda CR-V
Chevy Malibu
Ford Edge
Honda Integra (debatable)
Toyota Camry
Scion XD
PT Cruiser
Nissan Sentra
Ford Escape

I had a lot of honorable mentions to get out there for sure, anyways. Time for your own lists I guess.
If feminine means " driven by women" then, your list is nt complete without Suburban - the ultimate suburb soccer mom car .

If feminine means looks, then S550, its beautiful and classy.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:35 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
S Cal it's the 3 series Beemer and Audi.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
A lot of people are calling SUVs girly. But SUVs are family cars. Moms often drive them, because they're hte ones who tote the family around and need to haul groceries, landscaping supplies, etc. I saw an article recently about mfrs discontinuing sedans because SUVs have replaced the sedan as the family car, because they're more useful.

A real girly car is, IMO, one that looks sort of feminine and can't be used for real work. Honda CR-V, Toyota Camry. NOT Subaru, which is a real AWD, useful utility vehicle.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
What pops to mind immediately, but am not sure why for most of them:

VW Cabriolet
Miata (yes, I know they are actually decent performing little roadsters, but I have always perceived them as chick cars - still I woudl be happy to have one).
Dodge Charger (the new soccer mom vehicle).
Chrysler minivan of red Cherokee (former soccer mom vehicles).
Chevy Spark (because two of my daughters find them "cute" and therefore desirable)
Subaru, but only because it was marketed as a Lesbian car and that is stuck in my subconscious. I would not include the boy racer car in that though.
Every CUV out there, except the Buick which I perceive as an old man's car.
Dodge Magnum
Any pink, yellow, or pastel colored car.
Mini
VW Bug
Mustang v-6.
Honda Ridgeline
Smart Car

I have to admit cars that are a poor choice (not good at anything, but flashy, cute, or clever BS marketing), especially pseudo sporty cars that are actually not sporty at all (like a "performance" version of a Toyota, or a chevy sonic), I tend to expect appeal more to women - kind misogynistic of me I suppose.

I am looking out the window as cars run by thinking which one I perceive as likely to appeal mostly to women or I would most expect to find a woman driving. Some cars are just a surprise when you find a woman driving like a Camaro, Mustang GT, most pick ups except the Honda, corvettes (the male mid-life crises car), semi's, CTS-V, Demon, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, pretty much any British car except mini

Prius - I expect to be driven by a smug liberal, and since I know about twice as many women who are smug liberals as men, I guess Prius might fit in there.

Sorry you cannot tell me I am wrong, because these are simply perceptions. Perceptions cannot be right or wrong. You could prove that 92% of Miatas are owned by males but it would not disprove (or change) my perception they are feminine cars. Perceptions cannot be disproved they are based on your experience and while they can be changed, they cannot be "wrong" as there is no right or wrong perception, it simply depends on what you encounter which ma or may not be a representative sample. (Sometimes perceptions are intentional, like the Miata, I might change my perception in that regard, but it is so much fun to poke at the Miata owners and watch them get all butthurt, because the Miata is the true competition for my car (Jensen Healey), so even if that perception might be changeable some time ago, I still refuse to change it.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-30-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,585 times
So basically every male should be driving a truck. Got it.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What pops to mind immediately, but am not sure why for most of them:

VW Cabriolet
Miata (yes, I know they are actually decent performing little roadsters, but I have always perceived them as chick cars - still I woudl be happy to have one).
Dodge Charger (the new soccer mom vehicle).
Chrysler minivan of red Cherokee (former soccer mom vehicles).
Chevy Spark (because two of my daughters find them "cute" and therefore desirable)
Subaru, but only because it was marketed as a Lesbian car and that is stuck in my subconscious. I would not include the boy racer car in that though.
Every CUV out there, except the Buick which I perceive as an old man's car.
Dodge Magnum
Any pink, yellow, or pastel colored car.
Mini
VW Bug
Mustang v-6.
Honda Ridgeline
Smart Car

I have to admit cars that are a poor choice (not good at anything, but flashy, cute, or clever BS marketing), especially pseudo sporty cars that are actually not sporty at all (like a "performance" version of a Toyota, or a chevy sonic), I tend to expect appeal more to women - kind misogynistic of me I suppose.

I am looking out the window as cars run by thinking which one I perceive as likely to appeal mostly to women or I would most expect to find a woman driving. Some cars are just a surprise when you find a woman driving like a Camaro, Mustang GT, most pick ups except the Honda, corvettes (the male mid-life crises car), semi's, CTS-V, Demon, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, pretty much any British car except mini

Prius - I expect to be driven by a smug liberal, and since I know about twice as many women who are smug liberals as men, I guess Prius might fit in there.

Sorry you cannot tell me I am wrong, because these are simply perceptions. Perceptions cannot be right or wrong. You could prove that 92% of Miatas are owned by males but it would not disprove (or change) my perception they are feminine cars. Perceptions cannot be disproved they are based on your experience and while they can be changed, they cannot be "wrong" as there is no right or wrong perception, it simply depends on what you encounter which ma or may not be a representative sample. (Sometimes perceptions are intentional, like the Miata, I might change my perception in that regard, but it is so much fun to poke at the Miata owners and watch them get all butthurt, because the Miata is the true competition for my car (Jensen Healey), so even if that perception might be changeable some time ago, I still refuse to change it.
Lol, you’re probably right about the Miata. If you have to explain to every human being you meet that it’s actually a manly performance car, then Mazda has a marketing problem. It would help if they muscled up the front end a bit and threw a V8 in it. A Miata with a loping cam would squash the chick car image real quick.

I’m not sure I agree with a Dodge Charger or Magnum being a soccer mom car. That must be a pretty manly neighborhood you live in. “The Hellcat is just for the wife to take the kids to school in, but you should see my car” lol.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Lol, you’re probably right about the Miata. If you have to explain to every human being you meet that it’s actually a manly performance car, then Mazda has a marketing problem. It would help if they muscled up the front end a bit and threw a V8 in it. A Miata with a loping cam would squash the chick car image real quick.

I’m not sure I agree with a Dodge Charger or Magnum being a soccer mom car. That must be a pretty manly neighborhood you live in. “The Hellcat is just for the wife to take the kids to school in, but you should see my car” lol.
Hellcat I would not include, but where i live, the base Charger is the soccer mom car for soccer moms who want to be cooler than minivan drivers. Chysler's Trenton engine plant is about 500 yards from out township, so Chargers are pretty common. At one time I stared to believe every driveway except ours had at least one Charger in it. The soccer moms seem to be too practical to buy an SRT or a Hellcat, but they love their chargers, especially the AWD ones.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM

277 posts, read 291,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
So basically every male should be driving a truck. Got it.
Or the Oscar Meyer Mobile.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Say that in Alaska. I dare you.
Or Vermont. State caah of Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive