Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:35 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,173,181 times

Advertisements

part of negotiation, right now there is a huge imbalance where US sells & billions worth of cars to Europe and Europe sells over 37 billions worth back to us.

So a bit more than 1 to 5 ratio, I think it is about time we have a president that understands he was elected by Americans to represent our interest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 06:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
part of negotiation, right now there is a huge imbalance where US sells & billions worth of cars to Europe and Europe sells over 37 billions worth back to us.

So a bit more than 1 to 5 ratio, I think it is about time we have a president that understands he was elected by Americans to represent our interest!
What you described is called demand. Do you really think if Europeans wanted more American cars that we wouldn’t export more?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,670,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
If that is the case than I think this is a good but risky strategy. As long as he does not actually start a trade war that will benefit no one. The problem with Trump is that you never know if he really understand all the ramifications of his actions or not...

Aren't you forgetting that it's easy to start and win trade wars?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 PM

7,892 posts, read 11,425,656 times
Obama delivered consistent 3% GDP growth? LOL never did.The economy was not strong enough for the fed raise interest rates of his entire terms.

I am for fair and reciprocal trade. This means if Germany put a tariff on US made cars and the US does not on German made cars its not fair and reciprocal. I support threatening them with a tariff if they put one on cars made here only an mad we do not put one of cars made there now.

What matters is jobs here can compete fairly without artificial trade barriers. Ignorance runs rampant so things to support ones preconceived notion or bias are made up. That is fake news.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 PM

200 posts, read 147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Pfalz, this is true!

I wonder if Pres. Trump is aware that Diamler-Mercedes has a factory in Tuscaloosa AL, BMW has a factory in Greeneville SC and VW has a factory in Chattanooga TN? I wonder if he is aware that all 3 of those factories export tens of thousands of cars (mostly SUVs) from the US to Germany and other countries around the globe?

Sure, there are some luxury and high performance German cars imported to the US, but if you add all those up, there are probably not enough of any one model to justify a factory in the USA (Porsche for example). I'm sure there are a dozen or more German owned sub-parts factories in the southeastern USA that build components for all of those big car assembly plants.

We know Pres Trump has a bromance with Pres Macron, and he doesn't like Chancellor Merkel because she does not look like a hot fashion model. It really is not in our interest for Trump to stir things up against Germany, one of the most important economic and political allies of the USA in the post WW2 era. Why not figure out what Germany does to keep domestic manufacturing strong and bring some of those ideas to the US?
This isn't the Cold War era anymore- the US-German relationship is not what it used to be and there are no "economic allies", just trading partners, and with Germany running a large visible goods surplus with the US, it needs the US more than the US needs Germany, and that is before you consider Germany's weak military.

I certainly agree that US manufacturers should closely study German training, engineering, and management practices and adopt what works; however, Industry 4.0 also needs to be taken into account.

Trump's disagreements with Merkel have nothing to do with the latter's appearance, rather take a look at things like tariffs on autos that are 4x what the corresponding US tariffs are on German autos.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 PM

262 posts, read 202,748 times
No he’s not

Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
He keeps trying new things to divert attention from the Russia problem. He's not bright enough to realize none of it is going to work.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:57 AM

3,516 posts, read 2,673,192 times
I had no idea, BMW is actually America’s largest exporter of cars, mainly to China.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:14 AM

3,516 posts, read 2,673,192 times
In 2017, 1.3 million German vehicles were sold in the country,
of the 1.3 million vehicles, some 800,000 were actually built in American factories. Many thousands more were made in German factories in Mexico, which is part of the NAFTA free trade area. And then there’s the fact that the Germans export many of their US and Mexican-built cars, and support 110,000 US jobs. So exactly how worried should VW, BMW, Mercedes be. In my opinion they should make some preparation, just in case.

per Handelsblatt Global.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:41 AM

628 posts, read 842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I had no idea, BMW is actually America’s largest exporter of cars, mainly to China.
You mean Americas largest foreign exporter of cars because I am pretty sure that GM exports more Buicks alone to China than BMW exports their cars to China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive