Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Never, to much dust and I've experienced insects and reptiles looking for a place to crash
.....so have I. Was driving down the street a few years ago when one of those huge flying cockroaches decided to make a sleepy creepy appearance on my dashboard. I stopped in traffic (oh, yes I did, luckily I was at a corner of a gas station) and jumped out of the vehicle. The guy behind me had to pull my car in to the gas station so they could dig around and get it out.

And yes, i'm aware that he could have just driven off. But under the circumstances, at that point I wouldn't have minded LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:53 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I usually do in the summer along with putting the shade blinds on the windshield when it's parked outside. It's about 100 outside or more here in the summer almost everyday. You can only imagine how hot it gets inside a closed car exposed to the sun. You can barely even touch the steering wheel. I'm sometimes surprised the cars don't spontaneously combust.

Last edited by marino760; 06-01-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Yes I do. I leave my sunroof tilted to reduce the greenhouse effect, and it reduces the air pressure gust when you close the door after entering. I live in coastal southern California where we don't get much rain, but there's plenty of sunshine. Dust entering doesn't really bother me, but I also drive with the windows down. As for solar/heat wear on the materials, I keep a sunshade up and/or park with the sun on the back of the car (tinted windows) on hot days where the UV index is high. I keep my cars for 20something years so I do what I can to minimize wear and damage.

Since my wife's Fiat 500e is electric and running the A/C reduces range by 4-8 miles (1-2kWh), I splurged on ceramic tint on all the windows (including the moonroof and clear ceramic tint on the windshield). It does a great job of reducing solar heat gain compared to my other cheaper tinted vehicles.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:21 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
No. I’d rather have a hot car (I’m from FL) than have one with frogs, snakes, tons of water, and other lovely presents inside. I haven’t noticed any damage yet.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No because how many cars on dealership lots have their windows open a crack, not going to hurt anything in the hot sunshine.
We don't crack them on car lots because someone would have to go roll them all up in the case of rain, bird poop dripping in, etc. Otherwise employees and customers would really really like for some of that hot air not to poof on them when the car is opened. It's bad.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
I did when we lived in the Raleigh area during the summer. Never had my car broken into, I wasn't leaving them half down, just cracked to let the heat inside dissipate. You can tell who has lived in NC for a long time and who hasn't. Those of us who have, will park at the farthest end of a parking lot in order to get what little shade is available during the summer months. Those who aren't like to park right up front. Eventually they learn that heat trumps lazy. LOL

Old 06-01-2018, 03:12 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Absolutely not, and I live in Florida. How can you secure your car if the windows are slightly down ? Might as well just put a sign on it "Come steal whatever you want", and leave the doors unlocked.
What expensive or personal items do you leave in your car when you're not in it? I have some $5 Amazon sunglasses and a washcloth

Do people still leave expensive crap in their car?

Old 06-01-2018, 03:37 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
Yes and it makes a big difference in how hot the interior is. That does matter for all the electronics, interior materials, rubber seals, etc

Old 06-01-2018, 05:46 PM

672 posts, read 699,200 times
No, There's nothing like having a Giant Red Wasp hovering past your head while you're driving. Tinted windows a windshield sun shade and/or strategic parking are my lines of defense against the sun in the summer time.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I crack my sunroof open - not a security issue and I figure it might lower then internal temp 10 or 20 degrees on a sunny day. I'm not worried about the heat damaging the car but my comfort and how long it'll take to cool it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive