Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 AM

6,490 posts, read 7,852,623 times

Advertisements

My kid loves cars (and other motorized vehicles). He's loved everything about them ever since he could express himself.

I know of some of the popular magazines (car & driver, Road & Track, etc.) but don't read them. For those that do (or have any other insight)....would be good to hear any suggestions for a car magazine for that age.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 10:39 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,643,441 times
For 10 year olds, no! I have read both Motor Trend and Car and Driver and both have no issue using curse words. If you are fine with him reading curse words on occasion then either one would be fine. By the way, you can get cheap rates by checking out discountmags.com or discountmagazines.com, I got a 4 year subscription for $12 recently.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM

68,387 posts, read 54,643,744 times
For a young boy looking to acquire hands-on type knowledge I'd recommend Hot Rod magazine, for a general automotive magazine, IMO Automobile is the best one out there at the moment.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
For 10 year olds, no! I have read both Motor Trend and Car and Driver and both have no issue using curse words. If you are fine with him reading curse words on occasion then either one would be fine. By the way, you can get cheap rates by checking out discountmags.com or discountmagazines.com, I got a 4 year subscription for $12 recently.
Thanks. I didn't even think of the language that may be used since I don't read the magazines. Without being too explicit...what are we talking about? F bombs? And now that we're on this topic, is there other adult content like pictures of scantily clad women or other things that may be controversial for kids?

Since this looks like a no...is there anything at all out there that is a yes? I couldn't find anything. My kid is ga ga over cars and can't get enough. 90% of his video games are about car racing, when he goes to the arcade he gravitates towards car games, he's been able to identify cars out on the road since an early age. Hasn't needed other entertainment when we drive - he just looks at the cars on the road.

I told him I was looking for a car magazine for him and he flipped out.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM

22,026 posts, read 25,384,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
He's ten. Vast majority of young adult novels contain swearing. It's not George Carlin where it's every fifth word but it's there. If he's already reading those, he's already read it. Personally, I was reading things like Fahrenheit 451 at either 10 or 11, 5th grade anyway. It's your kid though, so you'll have an idea.

I might go for Popular Mechanics instead though. If he has a tablet, I'd recommend Winding Road. It's digital only.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Thanks. I didn't even think of the language that may be used since I don't read the magazines. Without being too explicit...what are we talking about? F bombs? And now that we're on this topic, is there other adult content like pictures of scantily clad women or other things that may be controversial for kids?

Since this looks like a no...is there anything at all out there that is a yes? I couldn't find anything. My kid is ga ga over cars and can't get enough. 90% of his video games are about car racing, when he goes to the arcade he gravitates towards car games, he's been able to identify cars out on the road since an early age. Hasn't needed other entertainment when we drive - he just looks at the cars on the road.

I told him I was looking for a car magazine for him and he flipped out.
Sporadic, yeah.

Here's an example:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-to-paul-tracy

Quite a bit or profanity but that's also an extreme example. You can probably go entire magazines without any profanity and then get one article with a good amount. You'll get some mild profanity (damn, hell) but the f-bombs are really going to be limited to quotes. You generally won't find in any profanity in reviews and very little in comparison tests. The editors cut it as the manufacturers don't want a bunch of profanity.

There might be some scantily clad women in the advertising. They don't really run "best car babes" articles in either C&D or Road and Track. Import Tuner or a muscle car magazines you'll see more of that.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
He's ten. Vast majority of young adult novels contain swearing. It's not George Carlin where it's every fifth word but it's there. If he's already reading those, he's already read it. Personally, I was reading things like Fahrenheit 451 at either 10 or 11, 5th grade anyway. It's your kid though, so you'll have an idea.

I might go for Popular Mechanics instead though. If he has a tablet, I'd recommend Winding Road. It's digital only.
Thanks, very appreciated.

Yes, he's been exposed to cursing. a lot of it. Personally, I care much less about his exposure to it than I do about his ability to handle it. And I think there are more important things to concentrate on to make him a good person.

I've thought of popular mechanics but don't think he'll be nearly as into that as he would about a publication specific to cars.

I'll definitely look at Winding Road for him.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sporadic, yeah.

Here's an example:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-to-paul-tracy

Quite a bit or profanity but that's also an extreme example. You can probably go entire magazines without any profanity and then get one article with a good amount. You'll get some mild profanity (damn, hell) but the f-bombs are really going to be limited to quotes. You generally won't find in any profanity in reviews and very little in comparison tests. The editors cut it as the manufacturers don't want a bunch of profanity.

There might be some scantily clad women in the advertising. They don't really run "best car babes" articles in either C&D or Road and Track. Import Tuner or a muscle car magazines you'll see more of that.
Appreciate the link. Just read it and yeah, it is a bit much. But if it is mostly ok and those types of articles are on the rare side then I don't know...maybe. Gives me something I need to think about.

I'm going to stay away from muscle car and others that have more of the scantily clad women.

For the publications that have a similar amount of adult content, do you have a recommendation? I think at this stage he is less technical. More into pictures but does like information pertaining to speed and things like that.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For a young boy looking to acquire hands-on type knowledge I'd recommend Hot Rod magazine, for a general automotive magazine, IMO Automobile is the best one out there at the moment.
Does Hot Rod have many pictures of women in suggestive outfits, etc.?

Edit: Actually, Hot Rod is probably not his speed. He's not looking for hands on knowledge at this stage. I don't work on cars or do anything with them really. He's more into graphics and things like speed. In terms of technicals, I think it would go as far as understanding the purpose of a spoiler, the effect of weight, and things like that.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:01 PM

The big three: Car and Driver, Road and Track, and Motor Trend are all pretty similar. I'd call them PG-13. Hemmings is probably cleaner but it's mostly focused on classics. Winding Road might be above his reading level but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If he wants to read it, he'll fumble through and get better at reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive