Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks....I'm not car smart....it's a 6 cyl...engine light goes on and off.
I believe this is the first you have mentioned this. If, while driving, your check engine light blinks at times, this is a misfire which people have outlined what could be the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Stored-codes that have cycled-out of the system long enough so the CEL is off, they can be very useful.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 AM

256 posts, read 140,309 times
Is the AIR filter good??

Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Thanks....I'm not car smart....it's a 6 cyl...engine light goes on and off.
It will have the codes stored as long as it does not cycle through all the check down procedures in the programming to delete them. If the light keeps coming on and going off, the codes will be in there and can be retrieved. It is probably going to be a misfire code for a particular cylinder P0301-P0306 or possible the random multiple misfire code P0300. If it is a particular cylinder code, take that spark plug out and inspect it. If it looks fine, it is probably a coil pack. If you have other codes, it could be something else. All of this is just speculation without knowing the codes.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It will have the codes stored as long as it does not cycle through all the check down procedures in the programming to delete them. If the light keeps coming on and going off, the codes will be in there and can be retrieved. It is probably going to be a misfire code for a particular cylinder P0301-P0306 or possible the random multiple misfire code P0300. If it is a particular cylinder code, take that spark plug out and inspect it. If it looks fine, it is probably a coil pack. If you have other codes, it could be something else. All of this is just speculation without knowing the codes.
All very good information. If OP is not comfortable doing work alone, and doesn't have a trusted mechanic, it helps to explore your social circle in search of someone who can do this for you.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
All very good information. If OP is not comfortable doing work alone, and doesn't have a trusted mechanic, it helps to explore your social circle in search of someone who can do this for you.

I regret saying this because everyone will ignore me now but I'm a not-car-smart lady.

Thanks for the suggestions all......I have some very good ideas to focus on...

Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
MAFs, o2 sensors and/or a dirty throttlebody would be my first port of call, after reading codes.... Could also be coilpacks.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:58 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Start with basics, does the engine have good compression in all cylinders. Everybody immediately thinks electronics, but you first need to know the mechanical condition of the engine.

Saying all that, yea could well be bad injector or bad MAF. OR look for hidden air leaks in the hose/tube going from air filter box and MAF to the throttle body. A secret hidden little split in this tube or connectors at end of it, throwing off measurement of incoming air will throw off all kinds readings and drive you crazy diagnosing it. A bad injector or such should throw a code. This car is old enough it could be lot things. Though most should throw a code.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:28 PM

786 posts, read 627,414 times
Quote:
Nissan Murano, 2003, 126,000...nothing other than maintenance, been great car

-after starting car, runs rough in idle
-when pressing pedal and advancing, car increases in roughness, sputters...feels like it could cut off any moment
-has gotten progressively worse over several months. When it first appeared, service personnel claimed they could find nothing wrong.

Now I have a vehicle that seems is going to conk out somewhere along the road.

Just asking for speculations

What could it be?

Check:
Exhaust Leaks
PCV Valve
EGR Valve (Specifically if SES light is on)

Ignition Coil
Spark Plug Wires (Maybe came loose and is contact a manifold)
Spark Plugs

If the SES light is on take it to Auto Zone ORileys, ect for a scan.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
It's been over 2 years since original post. I'm sure it's fixed by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive