Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times

Advertisements

My Yukon gets 12 MPG. Do I care? No. Do I love the vehicle? Yes!

Rock solid, commanding view, indestructible feeling, V8 sound, utility, tows my boat no problem. And I love the sheer size of it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
I'd also like to add, again, that the amount of pickup and large SUV bashing is ridiculous on these forums.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
No regrets here! I hate driving dinky little cars with no power and would never own one. I don’t mind paying a bit extra to drive something I want and enjoy (i.e. a Jeep and a truck), even if the gas mileage is poor.
I think a lot of cowboys have this attitude toward dinky girly cars, but many of them actually aren’t that small inside and can easily fit an average sized human. Many of them probably ride better, accelerate just as well, handle better and consume less fuel also.

Of course on the interwebs, the only people that admit to owning the newer large SUVs and trucks are the ones with a solid justifiable excuse. All those 1-2 person occupied rigs that are clean as a whistle without a single scratch and glossy wet looking tires...well those folks don’t chime in much to say “cuz it makes me feel tough/sexy” even though we know they’re out there.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:09 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I hope so. Most people who drive these guzzling SUVs and pickups do not need them. They are just making our enemies in the middle east rich to stroke their egos. The rest of the world hasn't fallen for the fad. They already have high gas prices. The streets in the US are overloaded with vehicles and traffic just about everywhere is getting worse every day. If people drove vehicles in sizes they need, gasoline would be less expensive because it would be more plentiful. supply and demand is why our gasoline is so expensive.
Who cares if they need them? This is America; land of wants, not needs.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 AM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
All should regret buying them. SUVs are unsafe trucks being passed off as cars, but don't have the same safety requirements as car. Stupid public buys anything provided there is enough advertising. SUVs are also unsafe to other drivers since they block views.
Greatly sarcastic thanks for the laugh

Old 07-03-2018, 04:21 AM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
I have both a car and a truck (V8 BTW). Both are over 10 years in age. I use the car for daily driving now and the truck hauling, collecting furniture and whatever else I need that's too big to fit in the car. Eventually, I'll probably a 4-cylinder truck from the 90s. Also they did sell a newer station wagon which was the Dodge Magnum. It was sporty and manly enough but I think the 2008 recession put a dent in sales so much that they did not bring it back. We will see if they do in the future.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:29 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
5th wheel towers run out of payload, as the pin weight is 20-25% of the weight on those. Tongue weight on trailers is much lower -- 12-15%.
A couple of years ago I was pulling a 24’ KZ toy hauler that we used as a camper—no machinery was carried, we customized the garage area to our needs—and it had a very pronounced forward weight bias. Fully loaded I had about 15% tongue weight and I was very close on payload hooked up and with the truck loaded, my truck being a 2013 F-150 XLT crewcab with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine and 1319 pounds of payload and a receiver rating of somewhat over 1000 pounds with a WD hitch.

Anyway, I didn’t like being close on payload. I knew my WD hitch was shifting considerable load rearward to the trailer axles, which were well within their load limits, but I still wasn’t keen on the setup. Though it worked very well in practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think people will regret buying SUVs and trucks within the next 5 or so years?-712f6d38-44b7-406a-a234-9c1918f1e119.jpeg  

Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 AM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
I have both a car and a truck (V8 BTW). Both are over 10 years in age. I use the car for daily driving now and the truck hauling, collecting furniture and whatever else I need that's too big to fit in the car. Eventually, I'll probably a 4-cylinder truck from the 90s. Also they did sell a newer station wagon which was the Dodge Magnum. It was sporty and manly enough but I think the 2008 recession put a dent in sales so much that they did not bring it back. We will see if they do in the future.
The Chevy Colorado is a 4 cylinder and gets mileage! Don't know if it can pull a boat well.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you’re comparing a Prius to basically the largest full size SUV on the market? But even using the Suburban - I bet a large portion of buyers aren’t carrying more than 4 people and don’t tow anything. A better comparison may be the Prius or Prius V compared to most midsize SUVs. Have life circumstances really changed in a way to suddenly nessesitate an SUV over a car? Older people did exist prior to the explosion in popularity of SUVs.
First of all, it was you that made the comparison, not me. I'm just pointing out the idiocy of your comparison. Secondly, I believe what you are calling SUVs aren't SUVs. You're looking at CUVs, calling them SUVs, and grouping them in with the "gas guzzlers", which shows your lack of knowledge with cars in general. A lot of those CUVs get pretty good gas mileage, such as the CRV or the RAV4, maybe even the Tuscan. And those CUVs come in a 4 cylinder. I can see more of a "hauling" comparison with a Prius verses a CR-V then an actual SUV, like a Suburban, Tahoe, or Yukon like you're pissing and moaning about.

And again, your point is that you can do mostly anything with your Prius that people who own SUVs and Trucks do - hence the point of this stupid thread - that people buy vehicles they don't need and don't use them for their main purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If this forum exist, maybe I’ll check back in 10 years when buyers have drifted back to cars and smaller becomes chic again. I don’t think it’s crazy to assume people buy more cars, pay more and buy more car than they need when the economy is good and they shift back towards real NEEDS when things aren’t so good...same with housing and vacations. I believe average home sizes have also reached an all time high after stagnating/shrinking during the recession. It seems that we gravitate toward bigger stuff and find a plethora of ways to justify it...until affording it all becomes a problem.
And who gives a crap? People buy more stuff, in general, than what they need when times are good. It's called being human. It's called indulging yourself. If you're going to sit there and be judgmental over others who have the ability to indulge themselves every once in awhile, then it's you who has the problem, not the ones who goes out and buys a big truck or SUV. Chances are, 10 years down the road, the truck or SUV has long been paid off and no longer the main daily driver anyway, or has long been traded off for something else.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
At one time I happened to buy two used cars at the same time one was Honda Civic the other was large Buick with a V8. They both were about 15 years old. The Buick had 75,000 miles on it and the Civic had 240,000 miles on it. Which previous owner used the most gas? I still check out used car lots to look for older big cars and small "gas savers." The big cars always seem to have less miles while the small cars have been driven to the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive