Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Here in Southern California, there are zillions of people driving SUVs who don't 1) have to deal with snow and ice; 2) ever tow anything; 3) drive many miles on open highways or sleep in their vehicles; 4) lug anything larger than groceries.

One "reason" I have heard is, "it's too hard for old people to get in/out of sedans." Old apparently means "over 25."

The other "reason" is "they have better visibility." Yes, because when everybody else is also driving a big, high-profile car, you need to be just a little bit higher to see over them.

I think most often, people around here get SUVs because they are trendy. To keep up with the Joneses.
An earlier generation would have been driving station wagons. SUVs have essentially replaced those.

As far as ease of entry getting into or out of a car, watch some old person (your definition can apply) getting into, or rather falling into, a current car. Then watch the contortions while they lever themselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 11:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I hate seeing around SUVs in parking lots, however (larger ones). I purposely parked in an area of a large lot where no other vehicles were. Of course, as soon as I got outside of the store there were three or four larger vehicles parked to the right of me. It is very hard to see around three or four large vehicles parked in a row even if you slowly back out of a parking slot. It is aggravating at best.
Why do people get upset at the smallest things in life.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:08 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
An earlier generation would have been driving station wagons. SUVs have essentially replaced those.
Would be nice if station wagons were more popular - basically a SUV that just sits lower with the same operating costs of a car. A Prius is similar to a station wagon and fits about the same amount of stuff as most SUVs.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:16 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In a way. Many, perhaps the majority, of people who have SUVs would have died first before they drove a station wagon. When I was a kid, station wagons were for families with small children. Period. My stay-at-home mom drove the station wagon with the kids in it. My working dad drove a sedan.

Last edited by saibot; 07-02-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In a way, but many, perhaps the majority, of people who have SUVs would have died first before they drove a station wagon. When I was a kid, station wagons were for family with small children. Period. My stay-at-home mom drove the station wagon with the kids in it. My working dad drove a sedan.
I guess it’s all in how it’s marketed - most SUVs are just higher sitting wagons but I guess people feel more outdoorsy/in command/rugged driving the SUV.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:29 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why do people get upset at the smallest things in life.
Poor visibility when backing is not the smallest thing in life. It's rather important, actually. I drive a small convertible and also have this problem. People barreling through the parking lot simply do not see me when there is a huge SUV on either side of my spot, and I certainly can't see them.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:32 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
Do you think people will regret buying SUVs and trucks within the next 5 or so years?
It's just like a Roll a Coaster ride....You never know whats goinn' to happen with Fuel Prices..Up and Down and Up.

People take chances just like on a Lotto ticket...THey love the Big Ride, The Luxury, and then you can't afford to fill up the Tank .... Most people have done it, regret it and done it again.

Me ??? No Way.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
About 7-8 years ago people wanted nice small cars and hybrids (Fit/Prius, etc). The value of trucks and SUVs sank like rocks. Over the last couple years however people have forgot about the past and went heavily toward SUVs/trucks. Are we simply in a good economic period that will eventually pull the rug out from under people and have them wishing they would’ve bought something smaller/better on gas?

Haven’t we seen this scenario play out multiple times in the past? Maybe every 10-15 years? Are most folks just too short sighted to think farther out than the next 2-3 years?
I have never wanted "nice small cars and hybrids". Happy with my crew cab pickup back then, now and 5 years down the road.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you think history is destined to never repeat itself? If gas goes to $4-5/gallon again for an extended period of time, I bet automakers will scramble to import more of their smaller cars sold in other countries. At $5 gallon and driving say 17k miles/year, the 20 mpg combined SUV will cost nearly $2k/year extra compared to something like a Fit. That’s huge considering the spending habits (and savings) of many people.
I wouldn't drive a FIT (or any subcompact) if they gave me a new one for free.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Your cost figure leaves out the times you have to make two or three trips int eh Fit, or rent something big enough to carry the people or cargo you need to have along. Also add in the chiropractor bills. Plus some sot of transportation for my father when he goes anywhere with me ans had is not able to get into a tiny low rider like the fit.

Also for the dogs since it woudl be cruel to squish them into a fit. They could not even stand up.

then int eh winter, I will need to rent a team of 5 Fits and harness them together so I can pull people out of the ditches for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive