Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was driving on a 2 mile stretch that was single lane 2 way road. The guy in front of me was doing 20-25mph and as soon as he hits 25mph, he brakes just slow his car and then he would slowly pull up to 22-23mph then as soon as his car hits 25mph he brakes again. I think he's struggling to stay under 25mph because most SUVs like his Chevy Arcadia doesn't like to stay on 2nd gear and as soon as it hits 25mph it goes to 3rd gear and easily can go to 50mph and the idiot brakes.

He caused a lot of traffic behind him since I usually do 40-45mph on that stretch. As soon as I saw the road on the on-coming traffic emptied out, I slammed on the gas and got around him. He obviously got pissed and honked at me.

I don't like tailgating someone and I hate being behind someone who drives so slow and can't coast at 25mph without the constant braking and go.

I knew a girl who drove like this too. Finally one day I asked her why she keeps hitting the brakes for no reason. She told me she didn't want to drive over the speed limit and get a ticket. I guess she never noticed that cars have a speedometer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, that's the important question.

I answered it in my post before he asked the question...Just saying...

Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,122 times
Quote:
Limit means don't go over this speed. There is no restrictions on going under. Especially at that speed.

I used to live on a street rate for 25 mph and I always followed that speed or a bit under.

That is not true. You can be ticketed for a moving violation for going under the speed limit in many states.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Regardless of the speed limit any driver that frequently and excessively brakes in just about any situation except at controlled intersections or in very heavy traffic is an exceedingly poor and frankly dangerous driver. They are effectively announcing to the world that they are incapable of gauging distance and speed, pay attention to physical environment, make any sort of predictive behavior based upon it or have any sense of the performance characteristics of their vehicle.

I brake about a fourth of the time as a typical driver so that would be about an eighth of the time of these nervous Nelly’s, and I just move along with traffic like everyone else.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I am used to driving stick and I hate downshifting so I like to keep my pace or ride a good powerband gear. Some people are too worried about obeying the speed limits. Most cops wont waste their time pulling someone doing 35 on a 25mph.
Down shifting is easier on your brakes I always down shift ever here a semi down shift sounds pretty cool.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
That is not true. You can be ticketed for a moving violation for going under the speed limit in many states.
Incorrect.
The stated speed is the maximum that you can drive, and you are allowed to go slower than that.
The only way you can get a ticket for going slow is if there is a "minimum" speed limit mentioned, and you are driving slower than that limit. The minimum speed limit is generally applicable on the interstates.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Rarely do slow drivers going really slow and holding traffic up get a ticket. Look at the crazies on their cell phones. Not paying attention and driving really slow.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
It gets even more confusing when two feet drivers have a turn signal on. You don't know what they are doing or what they want to do.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Down shifting is easier on your brakes I always down shift ever here a semi down shift sounds pretty cool.
That sound your hear is probably a Jake Brake. We're not really down shifting. There's a switch to turn the Jake Brake on and it turns the engine into a giant air compressor.
*The air is compressed, but no fuel is delivered.
*Exhaust valve lifts and the compressed air is released.

They used to be loud but newer trucks are so quiet you don't know when the Jake Brake is being used. As you implied, the whole idea is to save your brakes.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Limit means don't go over this speed. There is no restrictions on going under. Especially at that speed.

I used to live on a street rate for 25 mph and I always followed that speed or a bit under.

once again i suggest you reread the OP. it says the person he was following was going 25 and then would slow down to 20, or less and then speed back up to 25 then slow down again. the driver was NOT DRIVING A CONSISTENT SPEED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive