Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 11:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

It is rude and dangerous to drive the speed limit int he fast lane on a freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
1. I did read the thread title, but don’t see how that matters. Your “unpopular opinion” is unpopular for a reason, and I have the right to tell you why. You can also gtho with the condescending remarks, especially when it comes to reading... I’m literally a librarian, so that’s just plain funny.
By definition an unpopular opinion is one which many people will not agree. You have the every right to tell me why but it's already implied in the subject that I know it's unpopular and I also know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
2. How is that any better? Almost every stick-shift driver I know is female, so I’m still failing to see how this is gender-specific. Elderly people I can understand, since my arthritis is the main reason I currently drive an automatic... as much as I still love driving a manual, my joints can no longer handle that on a daily basis. But saying they’re more suitable for women is an arbitrary statement. Can you explain WHY you believe that? I’m totally willing to listen, and to concede if it’s based on anything logical.
I'm not qualifying as anything "better" or "worse" it's an opinion not a value. Secondly I was adding specificity to my statement as you were implying I said that females couldn't drive manuals. That is not what I said.

There is a clear gender role impact historically related to transmissions as well as many auto features:

https://jalopnik.com/5852258/how-sex...c-transmission

If you would like I can expand on my opinion in greater detail if that would be helpful?

Old 07-24-2018, 12:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,461 times
I think Infiniti is a luxury car (everyone in my neighborhood considers it ghetto pseudo luxury if its not German).

Old 07-24-2018, 01:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Toyota and Honda are overpriced used cars and not significantly more reliable that other brands.

Or

Toyota Corolla is complete garbage. Perhaps the worst car currently on the market.

or

Prius is a terrible car. Hideous, uncomfortable, sled like, everything is in the wrong place - just awful. (Which opinion really ticked me off because I really wanted to like them and buy one - until i drove them for a few weeks).

or

Most Modern cars lack style and class.

or

An older car that is easy to repair but breaks a lot is better than a newer car that breaks less frequently but is difficult or impossible to repair on your own with normal tools.

Or

Synthetic oil is a waste of money for all but a few cars (basically racing engines).

Or

Paying for nitrogen in your tires is a fools endeavor.

Or.

Grey, Black, white and Silver (also grey) cars are boring.

Or

Porsche 911 is really not that fun to drive compared to many other performance cars.

Or

Very few women really appreciate cars/driving.

Or

All weather tires (and most snow tires) are a waste of money.

Or.

Buying a new car makes no sense.

I have loads of unpopular opinions about cars.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:41 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I think he was talking to gas engines in fullsize pickups, not diesel engines in semis. (OP can correct me if I'm wrong though.)
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
The Jeep brand diluted its reputation with models like the Patriot, Compass, and Liberty. Even the newer (Grand) Cherokees are lacking in toughness and attitude. Not to mention Jeep shouldn't even make 2WD vehicles.

The Renegade isn't really my style, but it at least seems to fit the spirit of Jeep.

Grand Cherokees lacking in toughness? Not good. Are they less robust than the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I think Infiniti is a luxury car (everyone in my neighborhood considers it ghetto pseudo luxury if its not German).

Drive what makes you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Synthetic oil is a waste of money for all but a few cars (basically racing engines).

Regular oil cleans better and more frequent changes regular oil demands gets rid of debris/dirt.

Porsche 911 is really not that fun to drive compared to many other performance cars.

Went for a ride in a friend's 911 long ago. I was reminded of what a person said about them being glorified Volkswagens.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I just bought a 2007 M35x a few months ago and would put it up against absolutely any German competitor (535i, E350, A6) of the same vintage.

Regarding your neighborhood, do these people also think Lexus, Jaguar, and Maserati are fake luxury?

Old 07-24-2018, 04:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
I just bought a 2007 M35x a few months ago and would put it up against absolutely any German competitor (535i, E350, A6) of the same vintage.

Regarding your neighborhood, do these people also think Lexus, Jaguar, and Maserati are fake luxury?

In performance alone, any can be compared. But Infiniti is about the same class as Lexus, Acura in my opinion. They're re-badged / upgraded from common brands but share many of the same features as their sister brand. Jaguar and Maserati are above them, and Merc/BMW. I hope you're not saying they're all the same as far as luxury vs. not. There certainly are tiers of luxury. I'd never say my BMW is as nice as a Bentley.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
In performance alone, any can be compared. But Infiniti is about the same class as Lexus, Acura in my opinion. They're re-badged / upgraded from common brands but share many of the same features as their sister brand. Jaguar and Maserati are above them, and Merc/BMW. I hope you're not saying they're all the same as far as luxury vs. not. There certainly are tiers of luxury. I'd never say my BMW is as nice as a Bentley.
I test-drove the A6 and E350 before buying the M35. Going with the Infiniti did not make me feel like I was downgrading from the other two. (Didn't even look at a 535i because I hate the E60 platform. ) Regarding Infiniti and Lexus, the RWD sedan models are/were badged as Nissans and Toyotas in Japan, but those were luxury models under the same make. Only on this side were they given their own divisions (a good idea).
Don't forget that the same German luxury cars we seem to revere here are also taxis and cop cars with vinyl seats in the home country...

Also, most of the newer Bentley models share parts with Volkswagens, and Rolls-Royce uses BMW parts.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I don't understand why more cars weren't built with plastic body panels like Saturns used to be. I owned a couple of Saturns and I liked the plastic panels.

Too bad Corvette doesn't make an affordable grocery-getter type vehicle.
Chevrolet didn't, but Pontiac did both of your requests: the Fiero.
See how that worked out . . .

Old 07-24-2018, 05:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
I test-drove the A6 and E350 before buying the M35. Going with the Infiniti did not make me feel like I was downgrading from the other two.
But you are downgrading in some forms. That line may be blurred since we are talking used prices. They cannot be equal if you're paying that much less (original sticker comparisons, that is) - it's not just about paying for the badge.

Quote:
Also, most of the newer Bentley models share parts with Volkswagens, and Rolls-Royce uses BMW parts.
Well yes, Porsche and VW also, but that's not Nissan:Infiniti is the same as VW:Porsche. How anyone would say Infiniti is just as luxurious in class as a Porsche would be beyond me.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-24-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive