Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:03 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times

Advertisements

number 3 is the correct answer but in 40 years of driving I have only used my parking brake one time and it was on an incline.
I think that few people actually do #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 04:45 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In Alaska number 2 would be more appropriate. Especially if it's slushy and overnight temps go below freezing. That's a good way to freeze up your rear wheels.
That would be appropriate just about anywhere wet brakes can freeze overnight.

2. Only NEED to set parking brake when parked on incline or decline to prevent locking up the transmission.

If you are on an incline next to a curb turning the steering wheel to point the tire towards the curb is a good idea. (Turn right for downhill, left for uphill)

But then I have driven a manual transmission vehicle 95% of my adult life.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
#3 is the correct answer. Some states will deduct points from your driving test it you don't set it at the end of the test. Imagine failing just because you missed by that many points?

Funny that some people call it the parking break, and some call it the emergency break. Maybe it's regional?

Many years ago we had a state driving course right across from our house. My wife wanted to learn to drive so I would take her to the driving course and tutor her on weekends when nobody was around. I taught her the course the same as I had to go through the course. The State Policeman wanted me to accelerate to 35 mph going through the pylons - so I taught my wife to do the same. She took the course with the old style VW beetle with the stick shift. The State Police DOT office at that time was right at the top of a hill and drivers taking the course would start off there and finish there.

Well she speed through the course and the State Policeman told her she was speeding. Of course that started her arguing (it doesn't take much). She then proceeded to leave our car on the top of the hill in neutral with the emergency brake off. As I started to get in the car, to wait for her, it started to move and I pulled on the emergency brake. For whatever reason the officer passed her; but I told her she failed and had to practice the rest of her life!

Of course we have had many automatic transmissions since forty years ago when she 'passed'. But now I want her in park, with the emergency brake on, wheel chocks installed and chained to the largest oak tree she can find!

Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Have used the emergency/parking brake maybe once in 10 years.

Note that newer cars don't have any cable. It's all electric.
Nope. Not all. Some still use cable. Our EV still uses a cable parking brake.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is for automatic transmission vehicles. Each person thinks they’re right.
1. Don’t need to set parking brake as long as you shift into park.
2. Only NEED to set parking brake when parked on incline or decline to prevent locking up the transmission.
3. You should always set the parking brake even if shifted into park.

Which do you think is correct?
I always set the parking brake.

When parking on an incline, not using parking brake, transmissions are excessively rough shifting out of the park pawl into the selected gear. I use the parking brake so the transmission doesn't "feel" anything different than as if it were parked on a flat surface.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Refresher observation for this thread:

I am extremely skeptical of people whose vehicles are in motion literally 2 seconds after getting in. You know they don't have a seat belt on and didn't check their mirrors.

Same for people who park and are out of their vehicle less than 2 seconds after stopping. Took their seat belt off too early, and likely did not set parking brake.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
I always set the parking brake - it's what I was taught in drivers ed, I guess it just stuck!

Old 07-27-2018, 06:09 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
#3 and set the parking brake before shifting to park so the weight of the car is not on the pawl...for reason #2. On level ground it's largely just a good habit.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I always use my emergency parking brake. It's a good habit. Doesn't hurt anything. So, why wouldn't you? Would you want to one day say, dang, bummer I was parked on a hill in SF and forgot to set the parking brake because I never made a habit of it?

If you just do it every single time, you'll never be sorry you didn't set it. There is no downside to setting it every time. So, I don't understand anyone bothering to ever spend brain cells wondering whether or not they should set it.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:25 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I always use my emergency parking brake. It's a good habit. Doesn't hurt anything. So, why wouldn't you? Would you want to one day say, dang, bummer I was parked on a hill in SF and forgot to set the parking brake because I never made a habit of it?

If you just do it every single time, you'll never be sorry you didn't set it. There is no downside to setting it every time. So, I don't understand anyone bothering to ever spend brain cells wondering whether or not they should set it.
As someone else mentioned there are certain areas of the country where e-brakes will freeze up in the winter. I've had it happen to me when I lived in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive