Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I was in the same situation as you several years ago. I drove the 370Z, the Miata, the S2000, and a Z06.

Here's the way I ranked them:

1. Z06 Pure muscle car, looked good, came in manual only (at the time, now auto available), handled well and accelerated exceedingly well. Could be a boulevard cruiser or a real race car with only the driver's desires causing the conversion. Average gas mileage in town, great mileage on the highway. Nothing, let me repeat that, NOTHING, feels better than V-8 horsepower under foot.

2. S2000 Convertible top, descent mileage, plenty of pep if you used the redline and the gearbox. Reliable, comfortable and appealing. Reasonable modifications if you wanted to own a track car.

3. Miata Plenty of bang for the bucks. A bit underpowered, but parts readily available to make it a screamer. A bit noisy, but that is the nature of a convertible. Plenty of eye appeal, but sometimes gets the reputation of a chick car. This was a really difficult choice for me along with the S2000. It could have gone either way.

4. 270Z Nah, just nah! Nice, reliable, zippy, but something missing in the drive feedback.
S2000s are regularly going for twice the price of Z3/Z4's with the same age and mileage. They're a fun car.

I never understood Miata. I've driven three different generations and was not wow-ed.

So that I completely destroy my credibility in this thread, I would like to add that you don't have to worry about competing with me to buy these European classics. I don't see what all hubbub is about. Sentimental value for some, I understand. But that's where it stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You can post a thousand links to the definition of a sports car, and you'd probably be right. However, the OP was clearly asking about performance cars. Right or wrong, most people refer to all performance cars as sports cars. I get where you're coming from - I get peeved when people refer to wheels as "rims". They're wrong and I can prove it, but I know exactly what they're talking about - just like you do when people use the term "sports car" in any context other than that of a purist.
agreed. most people use language in the loose sense (sports car = sporty car) and only the sticklers would attempt to define the meaning of it (Sports car was originally used to refer to small engined british convertibles). These are the same people who think a restored british roadster should have an exact reproduction of the horrible lucas electrical system components.

Purists.

bah.

Orthodox religions sprout from the same "purist" attitudes as "sports car" enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:22 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
Traditional or not, they are classified as "Sports cars". The Chevy Camaro is classified as a "sports car" same with the Mustang, BRZ. Some of them may not be traditional but they still are considered that.
Sports is a body style, like sedan, or hatch, or SUV, or pickup.

A car that goes fast isn't necessarily a sports car, unless you'd consider the Volvo station wagon that competed in DTM and BTCC a sports car, speed is not part of sports classification.

Modern Muscles like the Camaro and Mustang are not sports, a Corvette is way closer. It's a 2 door 2 seater.

It's a fair point to make that if you're going to enter your car in an FIA event, what class you'd enter in. The FIA is about as authoritarian a source as you'll find for car classifications. Alternatively then classifications are arbitrary and I still deny entry of Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers to sports, but will accept Volvo station wagon as sports cars.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
OP needs to define what a sportscar means to him, big powerfull stop light to stop light? get a V8 mustang.
Something that is at home carving up twisties out on country roads then get a Miata.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
My one son owns a Z06 Vette, and one of my cars is a built Mustang GT...….two totally different animals. His is truly a sports car in all respects, mine is a muscle car. When I have driven his Vette, it feels more like a sports car that was designed to corner and accelerate. Mine accelerates well, and, with the modified suspension I have in it the car does corner better, but no where like his.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:15 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Mustang is way too big and handles curves way too badly to be considered a sports car in any sense of the term.
Man, you're stuck in the Seventies! You must hear that from your friends too!

Old 08-11-2018, 07:38 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakedose View Post
I'm looking to buy a sports car under 30k but honestly have no clue what I'm looking for or doing. I've looked at BRZs, 370Zs, and mustang GTs mostly. I really like the body and look of a BRZ but the horsepower is low. Mustang looks a little too big and I've heard the 370 rides very rough.

With that in mind does anyone have suggestions? I'd like to have something with flexibility to upgrade, looks good(I like how the BRZ looks) and decently quick. Trying to stay under 30k and as close to 25k as possible
The Miata Club Sport or buy a BRZ and have a supercharger put on it. Of course I’d put a blower on the Miata as well.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
S2000s are regularly going for twice the price of Z3/Z4's with the same age and mileage. They're a fun car.

I never understood Miata. I've driven three different generations and was not wow-ed.

So that I completely destroy my credibility in this thread, I would like to add that you don't have to worry about competing with me to buy these European classics. I don't see what all hubbub is about. Sentimental value for some, I understand. But that's where it stops.
Miata would have been a hit if it had a 436hp LS3.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
No kidding! I don't fit well in the miniature form factor and it's still got little skinny tires!

Old 08-12-2018, 03:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
The Miata IMO is like a luxury go kart perfectly capable to put a big grin on your face when doing some spirited driving in the twisties. If 400+hp is needed aftermarket products will get you into that HP range,research Monster Miata
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.GNSjoIoNajU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive