Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

In the past, I have purchased vehicles in CA, both from dealers and from private parties.
the dealer transactions were interesting, in that CA vehicle dealers are actually agents of the State DMV. They handle all the title, registration, and sales tax paperwork. The fact that I was a Montana resident, and intended to register the vehicles in Montana meant absolutely nothing to them. They HAD to transfer the title to me as a CA title, and I HAD to pay the sales tax. Well, OK, I could have paid to have them drive the vehicle to NV, deliver it to me there, and not pay the sales tax. That would have cost as much or more than the tax, for a possible negative savings. When I returned to MT, I presented the CA title at the DMV office in the County Courthouse, got the Montana plates and registration, and in about three weeks the MT title came in the mail.
No, states do not communicate about such things. Not long after that, I got a nasty-gram from CA stating that I had 15 days (IIRC) to renew the CA registration on the vehicle or put it in NON-OP status. I sent them a copy of the MT registration, and heard nothing more from them.
The private party transactions were very simple. I handed the seller the money, he handed me the title and the keys. I brought the vehicle back to MT, transferred the title, and the deal was completed. One of those sales was a NV car that was brought to me in CA, and I purchased, then brought back to MT to transfer the title.
I have a folder in a file drawer that contains the title for every vehicle I own, even the ones that have liens on them.
It has been said "50 states, 51 ways of doing things!" While that isn't, of course, completely true, it isn't very far off, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
It's a good idea to make a photocopy of the title.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It's a good idea to make a photocopy of the title.

Why?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:13 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
I bought a car in California, paid off the loan in California, registered the car in Iowa and then Minnesota. I've never had a physical copy of the title, and I've never needed one. But I suppose it would be better to have one than not, in case I ever want to transfer the ownership to someone else. Which DMV should I contact?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I bought a car in California, paid off the loan in California, registered the car in Iowa and then Minnesota. I've never had a physical copy of the title, and I've never needed one. But I suppose it would be better to have one than not, in case I ever want to transfer the ownership to someone else. Which DMV should I contact?
Since the car purchase was completed in CA, that would be where I'd inquire first.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Since the car purchase was completed in CA, that would be where I'd inquire first.
I would hate to have any dealings with the California DMV. Any alternatives?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I would hate to have any dealings with the California DMV. Any alternatives?
Not if that's where your title is at.

If you registered the car in other states without obtaining a transferrable title in those states after making your purchase in CA, then CA is where the title is likely held in their "virtual title" database system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive