Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a few different types of old cars to restore. Everyone I view has 'clean' title. But I now ask 'Is the title 'Florida' and 'is your name on it'. I've come across too many cars where guys buy the car thinking they are going to restore it, find out it costs too much and takes too much time and want to sell it. BUT they neglected to get a title in their name. The county clerks in my area will NOT process a 'skip' title. A legit title holder must also include a bill of sale on a state form with the current owners signature.
There was so much title fraud that any person bringing a vehicle from out of state, applying for a Florida title must bring the car with title to a FL office for VIN verification before a Florida title is issued. AND pay an additional $300 'impact' fee for bringing an additional vehicle into the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 07:45 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
I go with my instincts and rely on an old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it is"

Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Does not matter, as long as you have the title and it is signed, the car is yours, had a friend who's car got stolen, his title was in the glovebox(stupid move there), even though he reported the car stolen went it popped up in the system (having been registered by the car thief) there was nothing the police could do because the thief had the title, possession 9/10ths of the law his word against the thief's etc etc......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Your buddy is a moron. He can try and get the paperwork showing the fraudulent signatures of the title from his DMV. Take that to the cops and his insurance. Why the f would anyone be that stupid to leave a title in the car. I don’t even leave my registration in the car. It’s in my wallet
While I do leave my registration in my car, along with proof of insurance, but never the title. Electrician is right, he can still show that his signature was forged because you need a valid signature to lay claim to a title, as with any document showing proof of ownership or transfer thereof associated with it. I doubt your friend had his signature on the title, as signing a title obviously does not signify ownership, it signifies a transfer of ownership, if he did that would be like leaving a blank check laying around to be cashed for any amount.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
There is a lot of those deals around here too, in KY and OH, but usually they are older and cheap cars, like $1000 and under. I know a few people that buy cars like this, they normally will buy one and drive it for a few months and then sell or trade it and get another one. They save by not having to pay registration or have car insurance.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I guess that's one good thing about some states like Ohio requiring titles to be notarized, even in private sales. A thief would have to go through a few extra hoops to fraudulently register and transfer the title of a stolen car.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is a lot of those deals around here too, in KY and OH, but usually they are older and cheap cars, like $1000 and under. I know a few people that buy cars like this, they normally will buy one and drive it for a few months and then sell or trade it and get another one. They save by not having to pay registration or have car insurance.
Is this what OP is talking about? Isn't the actual owner on the title at risk here? Like if the car was used in a major crime or involved in a hit and run? Why would you agree to selling a car without transferring the title?

Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Your buddy is a moron. He can try and get the paperwork showing the fraudulent signatures of the title from his DMV. Take that to the cops and his insurance. Why the f would anyone be that stupid to leave a title in the car. I don’t even leave my registration in the car. It’s in my wallet
i agree, hence i said"stupid move"

Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Some states are on top/ others are not

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I've been looking for a few different types of old cars to restore. Everyone I view has 'clean' title. But I now ask 'Is the title 'Florida' and 'is your name on it'. I've come across too many cars where guys buy the car thinking they are going to restore it, find out it costs too much and takes too much time and want to sell it. BUT they neglected to get a title in their name. The county clerks in my area will NOT process a 'skip' title. A legit title holder must also include a bill of sale on a state form with the current owners signature.
There was so much title fraud that any person bringing a vehicle from out of state, applying for a Florida title must bring the car with title to a FL office for VIN verification before a Florida title is issued. AND pay an additional $300 'impact' fee for bringing an additional vehicle into the state.
The original poster would have really helped if he listed the state he's trying to buy, eh? California is similar, as both Florida and Cal. is a magnet for cons/frauds; the numbers are there. Your car can LEAVE Cal. no problem, but just try to get it back into the state after it's left. that's why we keep our collector cars reg. in Cal.

Same thing up north: BC has ONE reg. insurance co., so fraud is unusual and easily policed. But right next door in Alberta you've got all kinds of things going on, in our "free enterprise" and camel trading province. So BC gives you the gears, and now even on ATV's and construction equipment. It's YOUR responsibility to have "provenance" going all the way back to the original buyers, as so much equipment was being stolen on the prairies and sold where the money is: British Columbia. Not that I really blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive