Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
What if his computer doesn't have a CD drive? Even if it does, what if he doesn't want to go through all of the time and effort and frustration of finding the right software to do this and then spending of the time it would take to do this? What if he just wants a simple solution such as a portable CD player that can be played through his vehicle's audio system that might not have an aux input? Does something like this exist?

if he doesnt have a cd drive in his computer, like i dont, he can get one that is usb powered, they are plug and play in the computer.

as for the software, if he is running windows, then he already has the necessary software, it called window media player. he can rip cds from there. and if he is connected to the internet, media player will find the titles for each track, and insert them automatically. and dont tell me he doesnt have acess to the net, because he is posting here.

as for the amount of time it takes, he can find a few minutes for each cd he has, and a few more minutes to load the songs onto the memory stick. heck i loaded about 700 songs onto one of my memory sticks in about 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Like other new cars that are not equipped with a standard in-dash CD player, we're trying to find a player with or without speakers that can be powered by the USB port, or aux (cigarette lighter) port.
You won't find one powered by USB. Not enough current supply through that port. You'll need to find one powered by 12V power.

You can still buy a portable CD player. They challenge is buying the appropriate cig lighter plug that will convert 12V to the needed voltage for the player. Usually most are two AA batteries which is 3V, some might be 6 volt. Maybe there's a 12V powered one? I don't know as I haven't looked at the portable CD player market in some time

Then you just need a 3.5mm jack to plug into the AUX audio port in your stereo

And CD's are not obsolete. That format still has better audio quality that a lot of streaming music these days. I'm a millennial and I still use CD's in my car for certain music.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-10-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Thats a 2017 vehicle. It should have a USB port. As mentioned, just rip all the CD's you want and put on a flash drive. My new car didnt come with a CD player. Most new vehicles dont. Mine has decent power with plenty of functions, but no Cd player. I've played CD's in my vehicles since they came out. I dont miss them. They sound just as good to rip them to a drive. Music on a flash drive, with steering wheel controls, just click to the song you want.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Looking for help with a comfortable option for the wife.

Like other new cars that are not equipped with a standard in-dash CD player, we're trying to find a player with or without speakers that can be powered by the USB port, or aux (cigarette lighter) port.

Vehicle: 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Premier

What has the crowd accomplished? Do tell of your conquest!

TIA
Use a smart phone such as an iPhone with iTunes, load all the CDs you want to listen to on it. Then use something like a flex-smart to "broadcast" to your FM radio in the car. This is so much more useful than lugging around CDs in the car, and having to swap them out. You can develop many playlists on your iPhone. I have several I have programmed I use in the car. It works out great.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
My new 2018 Camry has an Auxiliary setting for USB as one of the Audio options. I don't know what its use is.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You can still buy a portable CD player...Then you just need a 3.5mm jack to plug into the AUX audio port in your stereo.
Or an FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack that will broadcast the CD on an unused station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive