Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

If you factor in the dealer mark up and interest rates on new vs. used. A new car may be a net better deal than a relatively new used car. The price does not fall as far and as fast as it used to and the interest rate difference is huge (o% or 1.5% vs. 8% for example). Also dealer mark up on used cars is considerably higher than on new cars. Because of this, a lot fo times when you go looking for a new car, the sales guy will direct you to used cars instead (if the dealership sells both). One of my daughters had a two year old Fiesta that got wrecked a eyar after she bought it. She replaced it with a new Sonic turbo and her payment and net cost are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:00 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What’s new are idiots financing them for 6-7+ years and dealerships peddling this trash.

Sigh.. Do you run a car dealership? The amount of worthless new car add ons plus nickel and diming they conduct is off the charts.

- document fee
- extended warranty for a new car that already has a factory warranty
- marked up prices for used cars on the lot
- crappy trade in value for your car
- “dealer prep fee”
- insane cost to get your car serviced at the dealership compared to a local mechanic
- admin fee
- fuel charge fee
- destination fee
- fabric protection add on
- paint protection add on
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...vices-to-avoid

You have to conduct high stakes negotiations just to get something that’s been marked up back down to a fair price. New and used.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

You enjoy being nickel and dimed to death under the ignorance of thinking car dealerships would wither away and die without such fees and add-ons, the rest of us will enjoy the money in our pocket by understanding the games car dealership play for customers like you.

You don't. Depends on the dealer. I did my preliminary contact via email so I had an appointment to see the Internet/fleet sales guy. Walked in. Kicked a couple tires. Said I liked this color. Went on a test drive. 45 minutes later I'm in financing. The only thing relatively high pressure was saying that I didn't want an extended warranty or lifetime oil changes. I understand for some people it's hard but really you just have to say no, thank you. As long as you're not wishy-washy but firm and polite you seldom have to say no. But it's about finding a good dealership as well. On a previous car I was at a Chevy dealer. Salesman was okay but pretty new. They didn't have what I wanted in inventory so he got the manager out to start the whole lie through my teeth and try and be pushy about it. I took about 15 seconds of it before I just said excuse me one minute, took out my phone, called the Chevy dealership 10 miles away and confirmed they had what I wanted to look at, hung up, thanked the salesman for his time and walked off the lot. I didn't ultimately go with the Chevy, but you can bet where I wouldn't have gotten it from if I did.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You don't. Depends on the dealer. I did my preliminary contact via email so I had an appointment to see the Internet/fleet sales guy. Walked in. Kicked a couple tires. Said I liked this color. Went on a test drive. 45 minutes later I'm in financing. The only thing relatively high pressure was saying that I didn't want an extended warranty or lifetime oil changes. I understand for some people it's hard but really you just have to say no, thank you. As long as you're not wishy-washy but firm and polite you seldom have to say no. But it's about finding a good dealership as well. On a previous car I was at a Chevy dealer. Salesman was okay but pretty new. They didn't have what I wanted in inventory so he got the manager out to start the whole lie through my teeth and try and be pushy about it. I took about 15 seconds of it before I just said excuse me one minute, took out my phone, called the Chevy dealership 10 miles away and confirmed they had what I wanted to look at, hung up, thanked the salesman for his time and walked off the lot. I didn't ultimately go with the Chevy, but you can bet where I wouldn't have gotten it from if I did.
For me, cars on the lot are to test drive and to check out the features. I don't actually buy what's on the lot and have essentially been a demo for god knows how many months. Every car on the lot is a demo of sorts. Don't be fooled.

If you've decided you're buying new, order it. Tell them you want to be present when it rolls off the truck. Don't let them take the plastic off. Don't let them roll it into their garage. Don't let their "detail team" touch it.

Manufacturer warranties have NOTHING to do with dealer added options or dealer recommended service. You pay your money, receive your tag and title, and roll away.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
What’s new are idiots financing them for 6-7+ years and dealerships peddling this trash.

Sigh.. Do you run a car dealership? The amount of worthless new car add ons plus nickel and diming they conduct is off the charts.

- document fee
Just say no
- extended warranty for a new car that already has a factory warranty
Just say no
- marked up prices for used cars on the lot
Just say no
- crappy trade in value for your car
Just say no
- “dealer prep fee”
- insane cost to get your car serviced at the dealership compared to a local mechanic
Just say no
- admin fee
Just say no
- fuel charge fee
Just say no
- destination fee
Just say no
- fabric protection add on
Just say no
- paint protection add on
Just say no
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...vices-to-avoid

You have to conduct high stakes negotiations just to get something that’s been marked up back down to a fair price. New and used.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

You enjoy being nickel and dimed to death under the ignorance of thinking car dealerships would wither away and die without such fees and add-ons, the rest of us will enjoy the money in our pocket by understanding the games car dealership play for customers like you.
Here is what I do on new cars. I give a out the door price. That’s it. I don’t care what they try to do or sell. Here is what I’m willing to pay to drive away.
When you go to finance just say no. You are not required to buy anything. Dealer add on.... take it off. Put whatever it came from the factory.

I don’t trade in vehicles. I buy what I need and then sell what I want to. This way I’m in no position to be forced to buy a car I don’t like the terms on. When I sell I sell for a price that is rock bottom but it’s a good deal. I have never had a issue selling a used vehicle.

You are also not required to take a car to a dealer for service. Now warranty work...yes. But normal maintenance services no.

Most of the fees you listed you can say no to. I think doc fees you have to pay but most of the others are bs fees.

The only fool and money being parted are people who can’t say no and let the dealer run the negotiation. At any time before signing on the dotted line you can get up and walk out.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
For me, cars on the lot are to test drive and to check out the features. I don't actually buy what's on the lot and have essentially been a demo for god knows how many months. Every car on the lot is a demo of sorts. Don't be fooled.

3 of the 4 cars I bought new for myself had less than 5 miles on them when I test drove them and then took them home. And they were on the lot. Same with the two we leased new for my wife. ONE of the cars I leased new had delivery miles from being a dealer trade (I had it driven up from Richmond, VA to my local dealership).

The thing that all the cars we bought/leased new had in common at those low miles was that they were all manual trans cars, and thus no one test drove them. The one I had dealer traded was my Volt... And I don't think it had been test driven before I had it delivered.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I just bought my first brand new car. A Honda Civic EX-T, $21,500. Payment is $251 a month, over six years, but I plan on paying it off in 3 years. My wife and I don't have kids and fits our needs perfectly. Has heated seats, moonroof, 7" touchscreen, great MPG, keyless entry, remote start, cameras, foglights, etc. I know what your saying though. If we got a larger car, they do get expensive, especially with added features. Van's and SUV's are way too much.
Definitely too much. Between mortgages, health care, and car payments and other insurances, i'm surprised anyone has any money left.

As for six year car payments. That's really too much IMO. When I was coming up in the early 80's a five year loan seemed outrageous. Now I hear that 8 and 9, even 10 year car loans are on the table. It won't be long before car loans are like mortgages.

It seems to me that autonomous cars really will destroy the car business. And probably within the next 20 years.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:54 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
New cars are stupid.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:01 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Nickel and diming naive customers like you who gladly pay for unnecessary fees on marked up new and used cars and add-ons from the lot is perfectly legal, that doesn’t mean the rest of us are as gullible though.
Like me? LOL Did you not read my post? I wasn't even offered half the the things you mentioned.

Quote:
For a man who claims he’s not a car salesman, you sure are in bed with these folks.
I had a great experience at a fantastic dealer that was no pressure and I got exactly what I wanted.

Quote:
Let me guess, your father was one and that’s what you wanted to be when you grow up?
Daddy was a butcher. I wanted to be a rock star. Wound up being an IT Guy. Again, assume much?

Quote:
Bad news kid, don’t quit your day job.
Kid. Ha. I wish.

Quote:
That used luxury car you financed at 15% for 72 months because you thought the car salesman was nice wasn’t worth it.
2016 Mazda CX-5, hardly lux, fully loaded $4,000 off MSRP @ 0% and 60 months.
Any other assumptions about me I can dispel for you?

Old 09-26-2018, 02:08 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Used cars are a better value. I'm done with new cars. They lose 25% of their value once you drive off the lot with one. You can find very cool cars that are used that have everything you need in them and on them. I'm done buying new cars.
Good for you.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:24 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

If you've decided you're buying new, order it. Tell them you want to be present when it rolls off the truck. Don't let them take the plastic off. Don't let them roll it into their garage. Don't let their "detail team" touch it.

Manufacturer warranties have NOTHING to do with dealer added options or dealer recommended service. You pay your money, receive your tag and title, and roll away.
Depends what you're buying. You'll pay more to order it. Mine was just a regular economy car. Nothing fancy. It had 12 miles on it, so maybe it had gone on one or two test drives. It's a daily beater. it gets run through automatic scratchers or rinsed off with a hose. It only gets a proper wash for its annual waxing, and even then it's a quick one. It's not like a care if the clear coat gets some more scratches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive