Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,477,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Unless you buy something like a Chevy Equinox or a Kia Optima, which start burning oil before they even hit 100k miles.
There's always exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 08:12 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,252,915 times
i have a 2003 accord which is the same model/body style as your 2005. Mechanically, it's been exceptionally reliable, however all the electric bits have a bit of trouble. When I got this car from my brother-in-law, it had an issue with the radio, the door locks, the sunroof and also some kind of voltage issue which makes the headlights dim periodically under some condition that I've not yet understood. Most recently, i've replaced the relays for the airconditioner and got it working again.

Forum posters like to talk about the weak transmission in the v6 cars but frequent fluid changes helps. my 4cyl has been good so far, but i'm only at 80k miles.

I love the car, but I wouldn't call this particular model the most reliable thing out there.

Neither my buddy nor I would consider buying a new honda anymore. I've not classified myself a honda man for atleast 15 years.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:35 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,252,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Subarus are on par with Honda and Yota generally speaking. But my problem with Subaru is that they can't build a head gasket that will hold together.

I mean come on... head gaskets have been common as dirt for a *century*. They're not rocket science... even GM can make them last.

Now to be fair, I drive an old GM with the 3100... an engine where the intake gaskets would often fail around or before 100k. But this is a GM... nobody really expects better from them and it cost a fraction of what you'll pay for a Subaru.

Subaru can and should do better.
i think the problem with the head gaskets is the boxer engine layout where gravity simply pulls the oil through the gasket. conventional engine layouts drain the oil into the oilpan and there's very little opportunity to seep past the gasket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive