Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

"This new feature on my car does exactly what it is supposed to do!"
Really?
So you expected the car to know you are exiting the freeway?!?!?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-26-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,191 times
You should tap the brakes to turn off the cruise control in those situations, it's not meant to be used all th etime

Old 09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I believe the OP's point was that one can easily forget they have the cruise control engaged after being stuck in the right lane behind slower traffic for a while. In those situations, it can be alarming to exit the highway when the slow traffic ahead does not exit, with the cruise control still engaged. Because instead of coasting to the bottom of the ramp, the vehicle accelerates.

I discovered radar cruise's quirks when I rented a vehicle that has the feature.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:45 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I always remember that the cruise control is on, because my foot is OFF the gas pedal!!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:22 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I bought a great new 2018 Toyota Camry. It has an equally great cruise control that automatically slows the car when a vehicle ahead slows down and re-accelerates when the lane is clear. I set my cruise control at 60 m.p.h.

The only trouble is when you get off an exit ramp it is often empty. The car accelerates suddenly when I enter the exit ramp unless I tap the brakes or disengage cruise control.
How did it get slowed down, before it accelerated suddenly in the exit ramp?

From what you said, it would have maintained 60 mph with the cruise control, and not been going any slower even in the exit ramp, unless you tapped the brakes or disengaged, right?

So, which one of those did you do before you entered the exit ramp? And why did it suddenly re-engage when you entered, even though you had told it to disengage by either tapping the brakes or disengaging it?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The first time I set the cruise control at 60 I forgot that the car would actually accelerate to 60 on an exit ramp. Fortunately no harm done.
I believe I've found the cause of your problem. And it isn't a car that didn't work right. I bolded it above.

What progress have you made in solving this problem?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How did it get slowed down, before it accelerated suddenly in the exit ramp?

From what you said, it would have maintained 60 mph with the cruise control, and not been going any slower even in the exit ramp, unless you tapped the brakes or disengaged, right?

So, which one of those did you do before you entered the exit ramp? And why did it suddenly re-engage when you entered, even though you had told it to disengage by either tapping the brakes or disengaging it?
Radar cruise will keep pace with traffic ahead of you, up to the maximum cruise value that you set. So when traffic clears in front of you it accelerates back to the set mpg. So if you were in heavy traffic and took an off-ramp with no one in front it would accelerate to set speed.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I have the toyota radar cruise on my suv and it's been a game changer. I drove in heavy traffic for 4 hours and didn't touch the gas or brake pedal once. More importantly, when I arrived at my destination I wasn't mentally exhausted like I used to be after battling the same traffic.

There were even a couple of times that a car cut me off and the cruise control handled it very well, with a quicker reaction time than a human would have had.

This is clearly just a step along the way to the future where cars drive themselves, but man, it's awesome.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I have the toyota radar cruise on my suv and it's been a game changer. I drove in heavy traffic for 4 hours and didn't touch the gas or brake pedal once. More importantly, when I arrived at my destination I wasn't mentally exhausted like I used to be after battling the same traffic.

There were even a couple of times that a car cut me off and the cruise control handled it very well, with a quicker reaction time than a human would have had.

This is clearly just a step along the way to the future where cars drive themselves, but man, it's awesome.
I'd probably cry if I had to drive in traffic like that for four hours but, that's great feedback. I'm looking forward to our next new car (or CPO) with that type of feature.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:13 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
IMO, auto-cruise control should only slow the car down if there is another car in the road. It should not return to the set speed without driver input. Or, at most, it should only return to the set speed if the speed it slowed down to is within 5 or 10 mph of the set speed.

Imagine being on cruise control at 65mph for hours, hitting a construction zone where traffic is going 15mph and your car automatically slows down to match traffic, then you finally get to your exit and turn the wheel to the exit lane, which is empty, and suddenly your car is vrooming up to 65mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive