Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:36 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,230,972 times

Advertisements

Here is information on the Texas Abusable Volatile Chemical Program:

https://dshs.texas.gov/avc/faq.aspx#1

Consumer products that contain nitrous oxide or that are labeled "VAPORS HARMFUL" and can can affect the central nervous system, cause intoxication, et al, is restricted to persons 18 years of age. It looks like it's been on the books since 2015.

I'm guessing that in this instance, the store was recently fined and is now raising awareness with it's employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,723,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here is information on the Texas Abusable Volatile Chemical Program:

https://dshs.texas.gov/avc/faq.aspx#1

Consumer products that contain nitrous oxide or that are labeled "VAPORS HARMFUL" and can can affect the central nervous system, cause intoxication, et al, is restricted to persons 18 years of age. It looks like it's been on the books since 2015.

I'm guessing that in this instance, the store was recently fined and is now raising awareness with it's employees.
So would tire dressings make it into this category then?

Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,341,971 times
I can assure you as a lifelong Texan that you will not be required to show ID to purchase carpets or steering wheel covers.

You will be asked to show proof of age if buying materials that can be used as inhalants (things that have lots of organic solvents). Although, of course, in stores that allow cashiers to exercise discretion, the thuggy looking 17 year old guy will probably get a lot more scrutiny than the silver haired granny. Some stores are so paranoid (maybe with good reason) that they do not permit cashiers to exercise discretion - example being that at 55 years of age with grey hair and a bald spot, I am infrequently asked for ID to buy beer.

You will have to show the appropriate licensure/certification to purchase most refrigerants.

I believe that restrictions have been placed on the purchase of large quantities of ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,595 posts, read 81,279,384 times
I have never been asked for an ID to buy any automotive product, even R-134a, or when I used to pay by check.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:08 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,539,754 times
Only time I was ever asked to show ID was when buying paint. That was back when I was in my early 20's so I expected that.

Ever since, I've never been asked. I've even bought R12 and never been asked to show my EPA license.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,002,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
This is odd, considering you don't need a license to buy a car if it comes down to it. You can't drive it, but you can buy it.
I was asked in my state for my drivers license when registering a used car at the town hall. Yes, in my state it is the town clerk's office that does all of this as the town and the state get fees (not taxes!).

I provided my US passport ID card.

"What's this?".

Told that the passport ID is not any good to register a used car. I stated yes it is. Well, the lady states that she will use it but that it might come back. It never did come back.

Same thing with voting. "What's this?". We need the drivers license was told. No, was the response. Just an authorized ID is all that is required. The passport ID is an authorized ID.

Is it nosey people or just uninformed people?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,223,704 times
Ironically, a license is a permission to do that which is not a right.
Ever wonder how your right to travel on public roads became a regulated privilege after 1933?
Ask your public servant to explain it.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
I've never heard of such a thing, and the only thing I can think of is that its a store rule as a result of the manager being unable to communicate to his staff about stuff in aersol cans.

In theory, I have to be ID'd to buy spray paint, but the Home Depot clerks just cancel the scan and put it through.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I was asked in my state for my drivers license when registering a used car at the town hall. Yes, in my state it is the town clerk's office that does all of this as the town and the state get fees (not taxes!).

I provided my US passport ID card.

"What's this?".

Told that the passport ID is not any good to register a used car. I stated yes it is. Well, the lady states that she will use it but that it might come back. It never did come back.

Same thing with voting. "What's this?". We need the drivers license was told. No, was the response. Just an authorized ID is all that is required. The passport ID is an authorized ID.

Is it nosey people or just uninformed people?
Neither. Its that they have never been presented with anything other than a DL.

Like when my old roommate gave his Army ID (don't know what its called) to buy cigarettes. The 19 year old behind the counter didn't know what to do with it, it wasn't exactly a military town.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:06 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,230,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So would tire dressings make it into this category then?
I don't know. Read the label and see if it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive