Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times

Advertisements

I bought a new car, paid in full with cash, in October. Its now almost two months later and the dealer, after an email and a phone call, said the plates should be mailed "soon".

This is my first new car and first car that I've bought from a dealer. I know you don't get the title right away, but almost two months? And the plates? The temporary tags are going to expire this weekend. What am I supposed to do if I don't get the license plates? Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to be doing something? Even if I don't have the title in hand?

I checked the documention, and they have the correct address. I paid the documention fee... so I wouldn't have to deal with this. And this is a legit dealer as well. The only hang up is that it was purchased in a different state than where I live (I live on the border between the two states). While it may slow stuff down a bit, I know they get business from my state all the time (more or less because the BS "dealer fee" is regulated in that state).

This is especially annoying right before the holidays since I'll be out of town traveling in other states for the next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
2 mths. Roughly. Why worries, already hate it and want to sell? You have your temp registration, you good, right?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Depends on the state. In most states, you go and get the plates from DMV yourself.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
You might be well advised to check with the Department of Motor Vehicles to make sure that your title and registration were processed and the application submitted for the new tags.

If the new tags are delayed beyond the expiration of the temporary tags you should see if you can get new temporary tags so you don't run the risk of getting stopped for expired tags.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
It took about 2-3 weeks for my wife's car and about 2-3 months for my plates.

Side story: When I bought my car new the DMV sent the title for my car to me, directly, even though I financed the car through my credit union.

Needless to say, we went to the bank, gave them the title and everything was eventually was squared up.

It was funny looking at something that I won't see for 5 more years.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
We bought a new car in Oct. and received the plates about 2 weeks ago. I had to bug the dealership. They were originally suppose to be sent directly to me, but they ended up sitting in a drawer at the dealership. Depending what State you are from....I'm in Ca., and the registration came with the plates. In other States, it was mailed separately from the plates.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
The salesperson at my dealership attached my permanent plate himself the day I drove it off the lot. I've never heard of waiting for a plate. There were registration stickers mailed from the DMV about two weeks later

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
2 mths. Roughly. Why worries, already hate it and want to sell? You have your temp registration, you good, right?
Temp plates and registration are good for only 60 days. I only had a few days left on that. And I'm not driving a car a few hundred miles without legal plates and a good registration.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 AM

The plates, registration, and title finally came this morning. The date on the title is the day after I emailed and called them so I have a feeling my stack of paperwork was sitting in someone's drawer since I drove the car off the lot. 4 more days left on the temporary registration and tags so I'm glad I got this out of the way.

Christ, I should have just did this myself...

Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM

49 posts, read 369,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Temp plates and registration are good for only 60 days. I only had a few days left on that. And I'm not driving a car a few hundred miles without legal plates and a good registration.
In Illinois you go to secretary of states office. Tell them you need to extend your temporary plates. Its no big deal. They can also go into there computer system and see what is going on with the permanent plates I'm pretty sure in Illinois there good for 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive