Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 AM

305 posts, read 724,566 times

Advertisements

So you want me to allow myself to get into a crash because another driver does something stupid like cut me off? I don’t cause trouble with other people but the only thing I ask of other drivers is do not force me to slam on my breaks. If you do something that could cause a crash? I will not hesitate to honk.

If you think some psycho is going to come out with a weapon, my state has stand your ground laws and they would be extremely foolish to retaliate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
I don't have a problem with honking.. After the fact.

I'd prefer you keep both hands on the wheel and operate your foot first and use the horn second.

Of course, a similar situation.. What if we had a horn here that sounded every time someone used the wrong word.. Such as breaks instead of brakes.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Honking to alert them to your presence and avoid a collision is what horns are for and it perfectly acceptable. In fact is it the correct thing to do.

Honking after the fact just to notify them that you are angry is stupid, pointless and illegal.

Hoking because you are annoyed with someone's failure to drive faster, or to jet out of a green light with sufficient immediacy to satisfy your impatience, or because you are frustrated by a traffic jam and are certain someone is doing something stupid, or because they cut you off five minutes ago and you want to give them the finger and ensure they notice - all are stupid, pointless, and illegal. Worst of all is thinking "I am going to teach them a lesson," or "I will show them" Whatever follows this thought will be stupid, pointless and illegal and it will fail to teach them any lesson, or show them anything, other than you are an idiot.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 AM

39 posts, read 25,752 times
People seem scared to call people out for their dangerous behavior. I guess we should just let maniacs operate with immunity so they can continue to kill people.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Hooooonk Hoooonk.

Breaks are when you take a few minutes away from work to relax, have a snack or smoke. Brakes are what stop your car.

The only thing likely to for you to use breaks in a hurry is a desperate need to pee.

What is your purpose in honking after the fact? It does nothing.

You do not want them to have immunity from your honking? Do you think they care about your honking? They do not care, they just think you are some kind of nut with a temper problem. People make mistakes. Even you do from time to time. t most honking a them might embarrass them further and maybe irritate them. Honking a lot will likely irritate them a lot (and hopefully attract the attention of an LEO who will give you a ticket). There are people living near roads, they do not need to hear your honking. Are you a goose that you need to honk to attract attention to yourself?

And - if they are a nutcase who will shoot you for honking, You will have three bullets in you by the time you get your glove box open. Thinking you are a bad-ass because you have a gun too is a good way to get killed (or jailed). Are you going to shoot them when you see a gun in their hand? What if it turns out to be a kid waving a toy at you? Twenty years is a long time. Are you going to wait until they shoot you? Too late - you are dead. Can you see why it might be better to just not go around provoking people for no reason at all?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM

39 posts, read 25,752 times
If they shoot me (for honking), my family will be taken care of financially, and they will go to prison.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:34 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Honking to hurry up a driver is what annoys me the most. A polite courtesy beep when a light goes green and a driver is just sitting there is one thing, but laying on the horn while you yell out the window and flipping someone off is just uncalled for.

I often wonder if people would react this way if they were standing in line. Little old lady is in line at the coffee shop looking through her purse and it's her turn? What do most people do? Say "excuse me maam, you are up" and that's the end of that. Put her in a car at a green light and all the sudden it turns into laying on the horn while yelling "Move it you F'in old bag!"

I just don't get that. People really show their true colors behind the wheel. You can tell who has a relaxed personality, and who is all about themselves when you watch the way people drive.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:45 AM

501 posts, read 360,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Honking to hurry up a driver is what annoys me the most. A polite courtesy beep when a light goes green and a driver is just sitting there is one thing, but laying on the horn while you yell out the window and flipping someone off is just uncalled for.

I often wonder if people would react this way if they were standing in line. Little old lady is in line at the coffee shop looking through her purse and it's her turn? What do most people do? Say "excuse me maam, you are up" and that's the end of that. Put her in a car at a green light and all the sudden it turns into laying on the horn while yelling "Move it you F'in old bag!"

I just don't get that. People really show their true colors behind the wheel. You can tell who has a relaxed personality, and who is all about themselves when you watch the way people drive.
What he said ^^^^^^^ !!!!!!

Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Honking is like giving me the finger.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:53 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
People are crazy. They get mad and storm up to your car trying to fight so I just don't bother to honk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive