Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,817 times

Advertisements

Looking for a new house (mostly online) and I am so sick of seeing huge tubs with just a tiny shower stall shoe-horned in I could just cry. Who the heck has the time to fill that sucker every night? It wouldn't be so bad if the shower area was as big as the tub area but it rarely is. Now we may use it occasionally- but not enough to justify the space and the time and effort to clean it. I know after the novelty wears off I will just have my husband throw a sheet of plywood over it and I'll do something with the space- (sounds classy I know). Anyone rip their big tub out and enlarge the shower area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:50 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
I use my tub every day. I'm heading for a soak right now! Good night ...

Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Looking for a new house (mostly online) and I am so sick of seeing huge tubs with just a tiny shower stall shoe-horned in I could just cry. Who the heck has the time to fill that sucker every night? It wouldn't be so bad if the shower area was as big as the tub area but it rarely is. Now we may use it occasionally- but not enough to justify the space and the time and effort to clean it. I know after the novelty wears off I will just have my husband throw a sheet of plywood over it and I'll do something with the space- (sounds classy I know). Anyone rip their big tub out and enlarge the shower area?
I totally agree with you. I have found as I have gotten older I am even less interested in a tub than ever. I would love to rip out the obnoxiously large tub in my master and replace it with a great shower with a bench.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:10 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
I use my Jacuzzi tub three to four times a week.

Days have been chilly here lately, so a long soak is heavenly.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:39 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Probably a dozen times a year. Thankfully I also have a huge shower.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
I have a jetted tub that is going out as soon as I remodel. In its' place is going to be a window seat and on the right wall a pull down ironing center. I was going to put a large closet in there but the humidity made me think better of storing blankets and things like that. So now the seat will be to hold our clothes robes etc. while we shower and serve as a place to put things as we iron.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I am so totally with the OP. A big tub is useless for me. It might be nice a few times a year if I was feeling achy, but not worth it. They take up so much space, and right in front of a chilly window, no less. You have a hard time keeping the far side clean. To me they are an old fashioned appearance of luxury but a real PITA. That said, many of my friends love them and think I am crazy. So it is a personal thing.

If you can put in a big shower, it is so worth it to have stretching and turning around room, and to get a little natural light as well. But the older bathrooms would probably need to have the space totally redesigned to put in the big shower since the window would be in the wrong place for a simple switch.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:10 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,422 times
When redesigning the bathroom I opted to have a larger shower and no tub. The reasoning being that to fill a garden tub we would have to invest in a larger hot water tank plus the cost of running a larger tank.

Instead we went with a hot tub which gets used about 3-4 times a week needs refilling only maybe a couple of times a year and is still amazingly costing us around $25/ month to run.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:12 AM

524 posts, read 575,080 times
Never. I never use the tub in this master bath or the last one. I greatly prefer a shower. My last house was like you describe, giant tub and tiny little shower. I wanted to rip it out and put in a huge shower. The room was there, but I never got around to it.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,990,547 times
I love my big tub, but I only use it about once a year, so I agree that it's really stupid and not worth it, but I love it anyway. Our shower is is quite large and we use that everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating