Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times

Advertisements

Back in the 90s, when I would attend Saturday open cruise nights north of Atlanta, it seemed like they were dominated by rows of restored muscle cars - - and not much else. When I moved to Houston, it seemed like the car get-togethers were much more diverse (okay if 4 door, not restored, etc)- - though still not a lot of foreign cars. I caught a show recently in NJ that seemed to have good variety - - which, by the way, is much more fun/interesting. I often wonder what is happening in other states. Does everyone have these regular get-togethers, how active, most opened-up to all-comers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Every August Metro Detroit has the largest cruise in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodward_Dream_Cruise

Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
We have some local cruise ins here, where I live, and they are pretty diverse. I stopped going to the local events years ago, kinda got burned out on seeing the same cars and owners all the time and having the same conversation time after time. Now, we go to one event a year, Turkey Run in Daytona at Thanksgiving..........been doing that for 30 years.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have some local cruise ins here, where I live, and they are pretty diverse. I stopped going to the local events years ago, kinda got burned out on seeing the same cars and owners all the time and having the same conversation time after time. Now, we go to one event a year, Turkey Run in Daytona at Thanksgiving..........been doing that for 30 years.
Haven't been to it yet, just moved to Volusia County, but 980mand later cars and foreign cars are becoming more popular as modified vehicles among the young and that is an indication of the market and ultimately the show change. Sold my two GTO's as getting to hard at my age to work on them. Next car will probably be a Challenger.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
We have a very healthy Car Culture here

Rock and Roll Car and Bike Show at McDonald's in the Scottsdale Pavilions Shopping Center 9140 East Indian Bend Road is the longest consecutive Saturday cruise in the nation. Come out at 4:30;pm and enjoy classic cars and motorcycles, free of charge. If you'd like to display, try to get there before 4pm. Enjoy the DJ's tunes.

Arizona Cruise-In's

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Back in the 90s around here, everyone that had custom cars used to cruise a street lined with fast food joints and bars, clubs, called Dream street. It got so bad on friday and sat nights, they had to make the street a one way those 2 nights.

It was mostly lowriders (euro types mostly), but some had hyrdos, some 60s and 70s muscle cars too, a few lifted trucks as well. It was fun to do back then, but I remember the girls riding with us, hated it and thought it was dumb to just keep driving the street, back and forth. lol

Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
We use to cruise back in the 80s, around the publc square, then up the road to McDonalds and back again, all night on the weekends. Sometimes we parked, when the traffic picked up. I had gotten out of that phase when my first wife and I got married. After she died, I cruised with some friends one night, and met my current wife. That was in 87. There had aparently been some trouble, and cruising the square was banned, but I didnt go much any more anyways. Theres several car groups around here, from old to new and eveything in between, but I dont go to any "shows". I am though a member of Mustang Clubs of America, and they have a local chapter, but Ive never been to any of the get togethers. Too many people who want to tell you whats wrong with your car........

Old 05-21-2018, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Several clubs have cruises here, but we have a major car show (Greenwood) in Seattle every summer, and most every weekend all year some kind of car event at XXX Root beer in Issaquah.

I remember in the late 60s-late 70s cruising North Main Street in Walnut Creek, CA, we'd go back and forth for many hours, but then gas was 25-30 cents and eventually the City banned it.

Greenwood Car Show | A Community Fundraiser for the Greenwood Knights

Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in

Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Every August Metro Detroit has the largest cruise in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodward_Dream_Cruise
Gallery - Woodward Dream Cruise

Old 10-13-2018, 07:59 AM

496 posts, read 445,400 times
I used to see them here, they have an antique car show in the fall every year. I think they also might do a cruise in or something on Saturday nights at the ice cream places sometimes.

Lately, I've been noticing a group of cars forming in the parking lot of a local shopping center some nights. Seems to be younger people driving 'ricer' type vehicles and trucks with the LED lights and ground effects style lights. Guess they're having some kind of meetup or something, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive