Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It is clear that the best practice is to use both the properly rated tire, inflated to the recommended pressure, for the specific vehicle. If I have LT-rated tires with a D load-rating, the tires may have a higher
max-PSI than the vehicle-manufacturer recommends. I have ran into this scenario.....inflating the tires
to max-psi in this situation is a judgement call.
Judgement call, but still not correct - unless you carry around full complement of souls, or sacks of concrete or a couple pianos all the time, every trip long or short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Judgement call, but still not correct - unless you carry around full complement of souls, or sacks of concrete or a couple pianos all the time, every trip long or short.
Just put in what manufacturer says and then forget. Way to much thought into tire air pressure.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:06 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Low profile tires with larger rims=a much worse ride quality.
Worse ride quality, worse mpg, and give the look of a pimp mobile. I really don't understand the popularity of them, to each his own.
OP, a smooth ride is at the top of my list for important vehicle traits. Have you tried lowering the pressures to like 36 front 39 rear? If that's not going to work I'd sell it and buy something else or try to fit smaller smaller wheels/larger tires.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just put in what manufacturer says and then forget. Way to much thought into tire air pressure.
Manufacturer - of TIRE or VEHICLE?!?!

Be specific, people, please!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:

Tire manufacturers don't recommend tire pressure because they don't know what vehicles their tires are going to end up on.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Tire manufacturers don't recommend tire pressure because they don't know what vehicles their tires are going to end up on.
Well then state VEHICLE mfg. When you just say mfg., people who don't know better might assume tire mfg.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:

The manufacturer of the vehicle because they made the vehicle and know what to use in their tires, because they are the ones who put them on their vehicles.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The manufacturer of the vehicle because they made the vehicle and know what to use in their tires, because they are the ones who put them on their vehicles.
Thank you!

I happen to agree with that, and I don't understand what line of logic, those who suggest inflating to the max on the tire, are following. Then I get blamed for "making such a big deal" over inflating tires. smh!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

I happen to agree with that, and I don't understand what line of logic, those who suggest inflating to the max on the tire, are following. Then I get blamed for "making such a big deal" over inflating tires. smh!
It’s like people know more than the manufacturer who made their vehicle, it’s like a patient knowing more than their cardiologist about what’s better to take for their heart issues.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:58 AM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:

Of vehicle, of course. No tire manufacturer tells you what PSI is appropriate because that is vehicle-specific. They tell you the maximum the tire can safely hold and the maximum load at that pressure.

Simple as this concept is, it amazing how widespread the failure to understand it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive