Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:17 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,520,072 times

Advertisements

Way back in 2001 we bought a lightly used 2000 ______ _______ which, over the years, has continued to be lightly used and well maintained. So it's in very good condition and we expect to get a lot more years out of it.

About two months ago we moved out of state, but still haven't been able to re-register the vehicle, which was paid off in early 2006, because we can't find the pink slip. You would think with an almost 18-year history as registered owner I wouldn't have to prove title, but such is the case. When the loan was paid off, the lender didn't notify the DMV, or if I was supposed to do that I was unaware of it. To this day the registration document continues to say that Americredit is the lienholder.

With regard to the pink slip, we have moved four times since the car was paid off. We have had to pack, unpack, and repack even more times than that due to bug spraying at our last apartment. Even today everything is upside down at our place because of extensive repairs and flood mitigation. We lack adequate storage because we mostly can't address that issue until the repairs are done.

I think finding the pink slip is a lost cause.

Now here's where it gets really frustrating.

I can't seem to find my way to getting a duplicate, because the the DMV thinks I still owe money on the car. And I can't get the lender to provide a lien satisfied notice, because they cannot find my account number. What's really weird about this is that I can call their automated customer service line and punch in my social along with other verifying information such as my old zip code, and hear a message stating that my loan has been paid off in full, along with the date. But whenI get an actual human being on the line, nobody can find the account number. So I can't use websites like getmycartitle.com because they all require the loan account number.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure I no longer have any of the loan documentation.

Exactly how screwed am I?

I'm wondering if I should just continue keeping the car legal in my old state. At least this way the judge might be inclined to leniency, when he or she fines me for not being registered in my new state. Well that, and also after hearing my sob story about how it was impossible to register the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Not sure which state, and which lender, but contact the original state the car was bought in, ask for a title, they should have put you as a financed owner. Take the NON-negotiable title to the lender, with whatever doc's you have, ask them to present your outstanding balance, or sign over the title. Make them prove you owe something. the car is 18+ years old. Aint worth too much hassle.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:32 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times
Sounds like you need to buy a wrecked and useless 2000 ______ _______ with a clean title.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Sounds like you need to buy a wrecked and useless 2000 ______ _______ with a clean title.

That wouldn't work because the VINs would be different.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:31 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
I went thru something similar when my exwife financed a used Dodge truck years ago, her credit was not great, but she went to a buy here pay here lot and they financed her for 3 yrs, she paid around $8,000. for the truck, the finance company was in CA (not going to mention the name, but they are a big company)...

Turns out after 3 months this truck was a POS, needed all kinds of engine and trans work. When she tried to make the 3rd payment, they wouldnt accept it, and claimed to know nothing about her, this truck, or the loan, she called numerous times, talked to supervisors, so I called and they told me the same thing, they did not finance this loan (how my wife made the first 2 payments to them was a mystery).

We went to local DMV, the company WAS listed as the lien holder, but again, they claimed the DMVs records were wrong, eventually they stopped responding or taking or calls.

We found out that after so many years, you can get a lien removed, even if it was not paid off, as long as the lien holder does not choose to extend the lien, it is basically erased and removed. IN our state, this was 7 years, but others its 14 yrs, I believe some are 10 yrs too.

DMV said things like this do happen, people, loans, vehicles, fall thru the cracks. My dad thinks it was some disgruntled employee that erased loan data at the finance company.

I always joke that we should have financed a Ferrari with this company! LOL

Old 10-06-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

The car I want to register isn't a junker. We broke 100K miles only last year!

Old 10-06-2018, 09:36 AM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Is it a BMW Z8 or Ferrari 550 Maranello?

Old 10-06-2018, 10:49 AM

376 posts, read 500,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
doesn't matter, if its a 2000 lumina, its a 2000 lumina.... See what im saying? It might not even be worth the hassle. Sounds to me like you need to start digging through your stuff.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:17 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
doesn't matter, if its a 2000 lumina, its a 2000 lumina.... See what im saying? It might not even be worth the hassle. Sounds to me like you need to start digging through your stuff.
Yep can get duplicate titles from the state that the car was registered in.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Is it a BMW Z8 or Ferrari 550 Maranello?

No, just your run of the mill Japanese-designed midsized sedan. The only reason I didn't state it more specifically is that I wanted to keep it as anonymous as possible considering that it hasn't been street legal now for some weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive