Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,785,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok link a relatively new F250 truck that has under 2000 pound cargo capacity in a diesel. If you’re comparing a loaded F250 to a base model gas yeah the gas will have higher ratings. Payload and tow rate is based on the options of the truck, body , drivetrain and cab configuration. That’s why a single cab 2 wheel drive base entry model long bed with low gears will have a higher capacity than a crew cab long bed loaded model with 4WD and every option known to man.
The gasser 250 will have several hundred pounds more payload than the diesel in any comparable configuration. That’s because the gas motor (and its attendant accessories) is that much lighter.

I suggest you peruse the specs on Ford’s website, Dodge’s too. And check the yellow payload stickers on trucks on the lots—I’ve looked at many while shopping. Since I started RVing I’ve become downright weird on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 06:37 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,864,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Are you comparing apples to apples?

The oldest pickup at the ranch is 40 year old 3/4T Ford pickup 4x4 with a flatbed & a cake feeder mounted on it. It is not an extended cab, has bench seat, roll up windows, manual hubs, & definitely no tinted glass. And a radio & a heater, but no AC.

Do they even offer such no frills pickups for sale anymore?
Just recently finished truck shopping. Every Ford dealer had a handful of regular cab, long bed, base line F150's with manual crank windows, steel (ugly) wheels, vinyl floor and vinyl seats. It was also easy finding a 4x4 super duty crew cab with the same base setup and a gas motor. I actually priced a super cab f150 6 1/2ft bed standard model with no options but I really did not want to go back 40 years to crank windows and vinyl seats so I found a super cab demo STX that looked good, had comfortable seats and solidly a mid line truck with power everything for only a tad bit more. It was a no brainer and I went with the more comfortable one.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:44 PM

6,741 posts, read 4,431,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
There are no full size sedans like Crown Victory any more. Even Lincolns are much smaller than 20 years ago. People who want a safe, comfortable ride with room for cargo have to either go with SUV or Pick-up truck.
The market for them is hot so the price goes up.

Ford is counting on that, cutting out sedans. I dont see people switching to a truck or an SUV just to stay with Ford.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,660 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Just recently finished truck shopping. Every Ford dealer had a handful of regular cab, long bed, base line F150's with manual crank windows, steel (ugly) wheels, vinyl floor and vinyl seats. It was also easy finding a 4x4 super duty crew cab with the same base setup and a gas motor. I actually priced a super cab f150 6 1/2ft bed standard model with no options but I really did not want to go back 40 years to crank windows and vinyl seats so I found a super cab demo STX that looked good, had comfortable seats and solidly a mid line truck with power everything for only a tad bit more. It was a no brainer and I went with the more comfortable one.
The STX is a great compromise, my neighbor bought one. It’s the base XL with some of the XLT features added. I hope you enjoy it.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,610,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The gasser 250 will have several hundred pounds more payload than the diesel in any comparable configuration. That’s because the gas motor (and its attendant accessories) is that much lighter.

I suggest you peruse the specs on Ford’s website, Dodge’s too. And check the yellow payload stickers on trucks on the lots—I’ve looked at many while shopping. Since I started RVing I’ve become downright weird on the issue.
You can easily gain that few hundred pounds by deleting the big hoss options on a truck. Who cares about a few hundred pounds when a diesel tows better. Hitch up a F250 gas and a F250 diesel in identical configuration towing identical trailers and pound for pound the diesel will tow better overall. Not to mention get better mpg. Also the diesels tow at lower RPMs and the engines simply last longer due to that. Diesels also have a higher resale value so you recapture some of that initial higher cost.

If youre that tight on weight where youre fretting over a few hundred pounds of capacity I wouldn’t bother with a 3/4 or 1 ton. I would jump up to a F450 or a used International FL70 or 4700. Or I may delete a few of those big hoss options on a 1 ton.

I’ve been towing trailers from bumper pull, goose and 5ers for over 25 years. You can argue and be as weird as you please on the imaginary higher merits of a gas vs a diesel because a few hundred pounds of payload rating. Overall a diesel simply is a better tow vehicle. But you go ahead and tell us how much better a gas rig is over a diesel because of a few hundred pounds of payload. My best tow vehicles were all diesels. The best gasser I ever drove towing was a GMC crew dually 4x with a 8.1 gasser. That was the only gasser that ever impressed me.

If you are the tow here and there once in a while a gas rig will work perfectly fine for most people in most situations. If you tow all the time you want a diesel.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,785,489 times
Sparky, you seem to have missed my point which was not that diesels are inferior for towing but simply that 250 diesels lack payload, payload often needed for heavy towing. I would never use a set up where I exceeded the GVWR or axle ratings of a tow vehicle, not any more than I would’ve exceeded the ratings of my rigging when making a lift—it just isn’t proper. Were I to tow a 5th wheel I’d use a 350 diesel, and with the 18 to 22k GVWR 5th wheels I’m considering buying I’d need a dually at that.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 10-07-2018 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 06:44 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times
Quote:
You can easily gain that few hundred pounds by deleting the big hoss options on a truck. Who cares about a few hundred pounds when a diesel tows better. Hitch up a F250 gas and a F250 diesel in identical configuration towing identical trailers and pound for pound the diesel will tow better overall. Not to mention get better mpg. Also the diesels tow at lower RPMs and the engines simply last longer due to that. Diesels also have a higher resale value so you recapture some of that initial higher cost.

If youre that tight on weight where youre fretting over a few hundred pounds of capacity I wouldn’t bother with a 3/4 or 1 ton. I would jump up to a F450 or a used International FL70 or 4700. Or I may delete a few of those big hoss options on a 1 ton.

I’ve been towing trailers from bumper pull, goose and 5ers for over 25 years. You can argue and be as weird as you please on the imaginary higher merits of a gas vs a diesel because a few hundred pounds of payload rating. Overall a diesel simply is a better tow vehicle. But you go ahead and tell us how much better a gas rig is over a diesel because of a few hundred pounds of payload. My best tow vehicles were all diesels. The best gasser I ever drove towing was a GMC crew dually 4x with a 8.1 gasser. That was the only gasser that ever impressed me.

If you are the tow here and there once in a while a gas rig will work perfectly fine for most people in most situations. If you tow all the time you want a diesel.
A diesel is the best to tow heavy loads because of the higher torqe at lower rpms why do you think semi trucks are diesel, and a diesel will last longer when a Diesel engine has a 100,000 miles on it it’s considerd just broken in.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,446,880 times
You can still get the "grandpa" trucks (single cab, long bed) 1500/F-150 if you need a work truck. For those wanting cheap "beaters", it's understood that you're probably not looking to buy new. If you want a truck where that same vehicle can be used to drive your family around on a night out, you're gonna pay.

People go CRAZY over CrewMax/SuperCrew cabs, with four full size doors and 4WD (just in case - you don't want to be fighting over who's taking the FWD crossover SUV in the winter time).

Look at the Ford Excursion, nearly all of those still on the road are METICULOUSLY maintained with little to no body damage, because their owners love them. I've seen more of those pushing 300k miles than a Superduty. If Ford ever comes out with another Superduty-based SUV, especially with a diesel... game over for everyone else.

I'm thinking there's some gentlemen's agreement not to produce the "end-all, be-all" earth destroyer.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,610,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
A diesel is the best to tow heavy loads because of the higher torqe at lower rpms why do you think semi trucks are diesel, and a diesel will last longer when a Diesel engine has a 100,000 miles on it it’s considerd just broken in.
You’re not telling me something I don’t know. I’ve repeatedly said diesels tow far better than any gasser

Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times
Quote:
You’re not telling me something I don’t know. I’ve repeatedly said diesels tow far better than any gasser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive