Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 04:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I can imagine a few categories of truck owners.

1) There are those who never use the bed and just like driving a truck. Maybe all of the other guys at work have trucks and they're tired of being the only Camry in the parking lot.

2) There are those who occasionally throw a few boards in their bed, some mulch or dirt for which they'd need to lay down a tarp in a vehicle that didn't have a bed. They might once or twice per year use it to move a huge TV or a grill. While it would be cheaper to just rent a truck twice per year, or have these delivered, it's enough justification for them to own a truck and pay insurance and depreciation on it to sit in their driveway.

3) There are those who own expensive toys like boats, four-wheelers, travel campers or other money pits : and need a truck to move them around. They have money so an expensive truck is a non-issue.

4) There are those who (really) use a truck for work, where other vehicles would not work and renting a truck now and then is unreasonable; stuff like regularly moving 4000lbs of masonry, stacks of sod, pulling a horse trailer, etc. - the sorts of things trucks were typically used for before they became luxury vehicles.

I do not fit any of your categories. I do not need my truck for work, other than occasionally vising super muddy job sites, or sites with no real roads. I do not put a "few boards" into it very often. In fact, I frequently overload it. I probably should have gotten a 2500, but this is what was available for a good price. I do not really like driving a truck, I have always preferred sports/muscle cars, but the 393 HP and coil spring suspension all round, makes the truck a little less lame. I use my truck as a truck pretty much every weekend, some weekdays and frequently on vacation trips (camping in remote areas, hauling the canoe or kayaks (before they were stolen), etc. We do have a small boat (16' 1957 Cadillac Runabout) but we rarely take it anywhere. It is not working. However when it works we do use the truck to pull it around. I have also used it to pull a trailer with a small skid steer that i rented to use at home, but that was just once.

Weekends I use it for all kinds of things. For example recently (in the past month):

Loaded up some old batteries and misc scrap metal (car parts, remains of an old washing machine, some aluminum, a couple of heads, etc) to take to the scrap yard.

Pulled some dead trees out of the ground at the end of our driveway.

Hauled tables, chairs, flags, games and a banner to a community event where we had a Kiwanis table.

Hauled a lawn mower out to Dad's house (his is broken).

Cut up a tree and hauled the logs back to the woodpile.

Hauled four five gallon and two one gallon gas cans to the gas station and filled them up (one tends to splash a bit it does not have a top). Hauled 5 gallons of motor oil to a disposal place.

Filled the bed with tools for a charity neighborhood clean up in a run down part of Detroit.

Picked up some more rocks form Dad's house to replace the ones around the fire pit that exploded or cracked.

Picked up a cool antique desk someone was throwing out and took it to a church storage unit to be given to a formerly homeless person trying to furnish their first apartment.

Took three bicycles in for repairs that I do not have time to do myself, then took the bicycles to a park for a group ride.

Took by bike to work so I could participate in Detroit's "Slow Roll (but did not go, I was too tired, maybe next weekend).

Hauled a load of too large trash to the community dump place.

Jump started the riding mower - for some reason the cars do not generate enough juice to jump start it. the truck has a very large alternator.

Hauled 60 flags on 10 foot poles and placed them in front of various homes for Labor day and for Patriots day and then picked them up and brought them back to our carriage house (Kiwanis fundraiser project).

Picked up some pool maintenance supplies, home repair supplies and large grocery items.

Bought and picked up a washing machine to replace our's (which broke months ago, we just have not been able to find an equivalent replacement for under $700 used. Finally found one for $300, but we had to act fast because it was a bargain).

Drove home in an apparent spin off from Hurricane Flo through roads with up to 2.5' of water on them in places and pulled a couple of cars out who were stuck in the deeper water areas.

Parked in the side parking area of our yard which was way too muddy for the cars to park in, but there was no more practical room in the driveway.

Sat in comfort with plenty of room to spread out and work at a job site for several hours using my computer plugged onto the inverter with my phone hotspotting while plugged into the USB charging outlet.

Moved my sons crap to the dorm in one trip.

Hauled a huge load of books to donate to the local library and about five huge bags of clothing to Salvation army.

Picked up some straw bales for Atlatl targets and a tree that was on sale.

Loaded the truck for a camping trip to the UP, but we ended up not going (at least we were ready had we been able to go).

Did I pay a premium for it? Not really, it was $18,000 four years and 80,000 miles ago. The car I wanted more (Pontiac G-8 GXP) costs more and does less. Not sure, but I think even a Toyota Camry will run around $18,000 when it is four of five years old (and that is probably one of the the last cars I would consider buying).

Yes it sucks gas down, but not compared to the said Camry if it has to make 2 or 3 trips to haul what the truck can haul in flesh and materials. Not to mention said Camry begins to lose its MPG edge very quickly when you load it up. My truck gets pretty much equally bad MPG regardless of the load. Very little difference really (in part because I drive a bit slower with a heavy or large load).

Ideally I would park it except on weekends and when needed during the week and drive something more fun for commuting, but I do not have an extra $20 or $40K laying about. Hopefully I will get the Jensen back on the road this winter and I can drive it when it gets nice again and leave the truck behind (but I can use the truck to tow the Jensen home when it breaks).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-08-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
$21k would buy one hell of a nice used truck.
Or 5.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:39 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Just recently finished truck shopping. Every Ford dealer had a handful of regular cab, long bed, base line F150's with manual crank windows, steel (ugly) wheels, vinyl floor and vinyl seats. It was also easy finding a 4x4 super duty crew cab with the same base setup and a gas motor. I actually priced a super cab f150 6 1/2ft bed standard model with no options but I really did not want to go back 40 years to crank windows and vinyl seats so I found a super cab demo STX that looked good, had comfortable seats and solidly a mid line truck with power everything for only a tad bit more. It was a no brainer and I went with the more comfortable one.
My hub hauls Fords, he said all they're shipping right now are trucks; so there will be plenty of trucks to choose from if you wouldn't have found one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The lack of door reinforcements in trucks ended in the early 1990s. The absurd jacking up of prices started much more recently than that. I bought my 2005 truck at a price consistent with the slow rise of the preceding years. But now its equivalent would cost at least 60% more. I would put the jacking-up time as having started between 2012 and 2016
My hub's is a 2004 4WD that still looks new. It's worn really well. He said the same thing about replacing it and that there is no way he'd be able to afford a new one. This was his 1st new truck. We also bought a Mazda Tribute for me back then and my son a Mazda 3. Mine and my son's got totaled within 3 months of each other so we bought a 2 year old car for me. I'm not sure how old a pickup would be for him to afford one if his got totaled.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:08 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
All of them are now.
Including the $19,000 Nissan Frontier?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have an aging one of those. It's a great product.

I have a jeep that occasionally goes off road and the Frontier. It's a good combo despite what others say in here.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 AM

496 posts, read 446,072 times
From what I see, trucks have become the "I made it vehicle" in rural areas. Well to do guys seem to want a full size crew cab to drive to work and wherever.

The days of trucks being basic, regular cabs with little in the way of options is mostly gone.They do still sell them, but mostly for fleets. Seems the majority of people these days want a crew cab with power windows and locks at the least, with many getting 4x4s decked out with leather and everything else.

I do like the idea of sitting up high and feeling more in control when driving. But the gas mileage sucks and the resale is ridiculous. If I wanted a loaded out model even one that's closing in on 10 years old with low mileage is gonna be in the high 20s. I could buy a large brand new car for that.

Used Dodge Rams seem to be the cheapest option as far as a used well equipped truck. I don't know what the reason for that is though.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
From what I see, trucks have become the "I made it vehicle" in rural areas. Well to do guys seem to want a full size crew cab to drive to work and wherever.

The days of trucks being basic, regular cabs with little in the way of options is mostly gone.They do still sell them, but mostly for fleets. Seems the majority of people these days want a crew cab with power windows and locks at the least, with many getting 4x4s decked out with leather and everything else.

I do like the idea of sitting up high and feeling more in control when driving. But the gas mileage sucks and the resale is ridiculous. If I wanted a loaded out model even one that's closing in on 10 years old with low mileage is gonna be in the high 20s. I could buy a large brand new car for that.

Used Dodge Rams seem to be the cheapest option as far as a used well equipped truck. I don't know what the reason for that is though.
I'm sure it's hard watching a truck double in price as you try to put away money to save for a down payment. Seeing your dream F-150 go from $20,000 to $40,000 (to $60000) over the course of your life is akin to the drinking age raising to 21 just as you turn 19.

But the $20,000 truck you get today is nothing like the ones in the commercials, which are designed to sell trucks, not show the model that's "starting at $29.595".

Options are there for the driver to enjoy. Some people insist on the base model because they want to deprive the manufacturer of every opportunity for profit. Well let me know how that deprivation feels when you crank up your manual windows, lock your doors with your key in the cylinder, and keep zapping yourself in the wintertime on your cloth seats.

My budget for my first vehicle was $6000. I said "I want something 4WD, with leather, and a CD player." Came home with a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. A 10-year-old vehicle at the time, it felt new to me. I was happier with that than a 2005 base model anything with no options.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:31 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Never knew new trucks were selling that cheap. I only want a small S10 size truck with a 450hp V8.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
All the stuff you I do with my truck.
You've definitely pointed out another category - people who, at home, regularly move multiple thousands of pounds of stuff long distances every weekend. Although I do a lot of building projects myself, I'm lucky if I move half of what you mentioned in a year.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:31 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
I see a lot of the old urban stereotype, of welfare recipient driving a Cadillac, reinventing itself among the rural underclass with expensive pick-up trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive