Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:47 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So now you are (ever so politely) implying that I'm a liar or delusional, and apparently everyone else on here whose experience goes against your oh so sage advice is, too. All so that you can be "right".

Not my fault that you purchased old cars that sucked. Clearly you didn't do a very good job of (a) picking them and (b) maintaining them. That's not our collective fault, either.
I have no idea who you are. You’re just telling stories that may or may not be true in order to try and prove a point. I also know it’s human nature to gloss over the details when bragging about something. Pretty much everybody I know that ever kept a car over 200k miles will brag about it, but forget to tell you that’s it’s had an engine rebuild, new transmission, and most of the suspension replaced. They’ll also forget to tell you how much of a hassle it was when they realized their transmission needed to be replaced on a long trip somewhere. Or that they had to give up a weekend or take time off work to deal with it.

What most people talk about when maintaining a car is fixing mechanical components to keep it running. What I consider maintaining a car is keeping the car in like new condition. I’m not living with blistered clearcoat, chilled up grill, dents, AC that doesn’t work, musty interiors, cracked dashboards, or power windows that don’t work. Cars don’t last 400k miles nor were they designed to. The ones I see on the road anywhere near that age are barely holding together. It doesn’t really matters what miracles you continuously pull off because you’re the exception not the norm and from your other post, your tolerance for used beaters seems much higher than average anyway. It’s hardely advice worth giving out to have others to emulate. Not when you can lease a brand new Honda Civic for $160 and are pretty much guaranteed not to worry about anything car related. You’ll also have the latest improvements in gas mileage, performance, and safety.

I personally buy more fully loaded performance oriented cars without longevity in mind at all. I also consider a car pretty much trashed when the navigation system interface looks outdated. I don’t recommend people do what I do either, but I also don’t need to worry about money and my hobbies are all fairly inexpensive (as in I don’t have a monthly horse food budget). All I’m saying is people who are trying to make ends meet need to be realistic about their longevity of a car and go buy anectodotes some anonymous person on the internet is throwing around. Once the car payment is done with keep paying yourself that same car payment you’re accustomed to anyway and be ready to either fix the car you have or buy a new one. The real reason you see 400k mile cars in the road isn’t by choice but because that savings isn’t there to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Having a financial cushion in place allows one to not worry so much. Great ain’t it?

All people should try it...even if they do stay 100% on top of ALL maintenance.

Regardless, would you say I have selective memory about how much “hassle” my vehicle has been? Maybe it would’ve been a hassle had I changed those spark plugs and coolant?
In a nutshell yes. As we now know you or memory was a bit fussy on well you maintained your car who knows what else isn’t being said. Not that it matters, we’re talking in generalizations here, not specifics. You and horse lady are basically anonomously defending yourself using yourself as a witnesses so that’s all to be taken with a grain of salt.

Side note about your sealed transmission. This is an example of engineering a product to a set lifespan. What has happened isn’t that a new special alloy came out that never wears and the fluid never gets dirty, but that engineers looked at the average expected lifespan of the car, and realized it would be more reliable in that lifespan if they didn’t have people “maintain” it at all. I say that in quotes because shady mechanics try to sell people on backflushimg the transmission which ends up shorening it’s lifespan. The manufacturer realized it would be better off if people just left it alone.

After several days of going back and forth in this, you’re pretty much doing what I’m suggesting. Saving money after you pay off the car. It just sounds like you’re not saving the whole payment though.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:29 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I have a better idea, if people want to buy a new car for the peace of mind of it being mechanically better than the one they had, then let them and mind your own damn business. If people want to keep their current car, and have the piece of mind it will be dependable, mind your own damn business! These type of posts are getting old and stagnate!
I have no problem with people doing as they please. What I object to is senseless illogical irrational arguments for behavior, and then being insulted or shouted down for pointing it out in an open discussion forum. I was responding to a poster who implied that warranties prevent breakdowns. You are free to defend that position.

Last edited by cebuan; 10-26-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 05:31 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have no idea who you are. You’re just telling stories that may or may not be true in order to try and prove a point. I also know it’s human nature to gloss over the details when bragging about something. Pretty much everybody I know that ever kept a car over 200k miles will brag about it, but forget to tell you that’s it’s had an engine rebuild, new transmission, and most of the suspension replaced. They’ll also forget to tell you how much of a hassle it was when they realized their transmission needed to be replaced on a long trip somewhere. Or that they had to give up a weekend or take time off work to deal with it.

What most people talk about when maintaining a car is fixing mechanical components to keep it running. What I consider maintaining a car is keeping the car in like new condition. I’m not living with blistered clearcoat, chilled up grill, dents, AC that doesn’t work, musty interiors, cracked dashboards, or power windows that don’t work. Cars don’t last 400k miles nor were they designed to. The ones I see on the road anywhere near that age are barely holding together. It doesn’t really matters what miracles you continuously pull off because you’re the exception not the norm and from your other post, your tolerance for used beaters seems much higher than average anyway. It’s hardely advice worth giving out to have others to emulate. Not when you can lease a brand new Honda Civic for $160 and are pretty much guaranteed not to worry about anything car related. You’ll also have the latest improvements in gas mileage, performance, and safety.

I personally buy more fully loaded performance oriented cars without longevity in mind at all. I also consider a car pretty much trashed when the navigation system interface looks outdated. I don’t recommend people do what I do either, but I also don’t need to worry about money and my hobbies are all fairly inexpensive (as in I don’t have a monthly horse food budget). All I’m saying is people who are trying to make ends meet need to be realistic about their longevity of a car and go buy anectodotes some anonymous person on the internet is throwing around. Once the car payment is done with keep paying yourself that same car payment you’re accustomed to anyway and be ready to either fix the car you have or buy a new one. The real reason you see 400k mile cars in the road isn’t by choice but because that savings isn’t there to begin with.
I told about my car needing a new trans at 180,000. It wasn’t that much of a hassle, I simply got it rebuilt and was the only major repair I had in all the years I drove it. It didn’t break down on the road. Transmissions, as many other car parts , give warning signs something is wrong. Cost was $2200 plus rental car, and the car went another 135,000 after. My car only once broke down on the road. That was right after I bought it, 33,000 miles, the alternator went. Covered under extended warranty.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
When it is high mileage and leaves you stranded in a place where you don't want to be stranded.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Cars don’t last 400k miles nor were they designed to. ....The real reason you see 400k mile cars in the road isn’t by choice but because that savings isn’t there to begin with.
Blanket statements but i guess could be considered true if cast by a broad enough net.

There are cars that will run, and stay nice, well past 400k. I own several of them. Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX. Toyota Tacoma. Lexus LS. Lexus RX / Toyota Highlander. Toyota Prius. Pre-2000 Mercedes E-Class (W-124). Many of us keep cars like this because there is a satisfaction knowing that my care, since new, has allowed this car to live. I have a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser with over 400k hard miles that, other than a few scratches and a shiny leather steering wheel, could pull off as new. I had a 1988 Mercedes 300TE wagon in Iceland that I put over 400k on before selling to my neighbor. He's been driving it for the last 15 years and it still looks like new. Sure, the tech in these vehicles may be old but they both had airbags and reliability.

I also have a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma that I bought used. It has over 600k and every single thing still works as new. It has some bumps and bruises but certainly isn't falling apart.

None of these have rust or has been in accident, which in my mind is what really kills a well made vehicle.

I can certainly afford to pay cash for new. In fact, I do, and often, but I will still keep these vehicles.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I have no problem with people doing as they please. What I object to is senseless illogical irrational arguments for behavior, and then being insulted or shouted down for pointing it out in an open discussion forum. I was responding to a poster who implied that warranties prevent breakdowns. You are free to defend that position.
We are on the same page! Not meant as an insult towards you!

Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Blanket statements but i guess could be considered true if cast by a broad enough net.

There are cars that will run, and stay nice, well past 400k. I own several of them. Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX. Toyota Tacoma. Lexus LS. Lexus RX / Toyota Highlander. Toyota Prius. Pre-2000 Mercedes E-Class (W-124). Many of us keep cars like this because there is a satisfaction knowing that my care, since new, has allowed this car to live. I have a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser with over 400k hard miles that, other than a few scratches and a shiny leather steering wheel, could pull off as new. I had a 1988 Mercedes 300TE wagon in Iceland that I put over 400k on before selling to my neighbor. He's been driving it for the last 15 years and it still looks like new. Sure, the tech in these vehicles may be old but they both had airbags and reliability.

I also have a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma that I bought used. It has over 600k and every single thing still works as new. It has some bumps and bruises but certainly isn't falling apart.

None of these have rust or has been in accident, which in my mind is what really kills a well made vehicle.

I can certainly afford to pay cash for new. In fact, I do, and often, but I will still keep these vehicles.
I know a Lexus owner who kept their car till around 380k miles. The problem was at first it was allowed to go anywhere. Overtime it was limited to the state, eventually to within the county, then finally just allowed to make a short trip to work. Eventually everything was replaced. The leather seats were cracked and in terrible shape. It stunk. The AC made cool air only on cool days. Eventually when it was leaking oil so bad it fouled out the alternator their mechanic said “it’s time”.

I don’t know why people get so defensive on this particular topic. If your car last 400k miles and you saved a bunch of money that’s great, but you have no idea how long a car will really last until after it’s lasted that long. That’s like planning to live to 120 years old.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:50 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
In a nutshell yes. As we now know you or memory was a bit fussy on well you maintained your car who knows what else isn’t being said. Not that it matters, we’re talking in generalizations here, not specifics. You and horse lady are basically anonomously defending yourself using yourself as a witnesses so that’s all to be taken with a grain of salt.

Side note about your sealed transmission. This is an example of engineering a product to a set lifespan. What has happened isn’t that a new special alloy came out that never wears and the fluid never gets dirty, but that engineers looked at the average expected lifespan of the car, and realized it would be more reliable in that lifespan if they didn’t have people “maintain” it at all. I say that in quotes because shady mechanics try to sell people on backflushimg the transmission which ends up shorening it’s lifespan. The manufacturer realized it would be better off if people just left it alone.

After several days of going back and forth in this, you’re pretty much doing what I’m suggesting. Saving money after you pay off the car. It just sounds like you’re not saving the whole payment though.
You really can’t argue with someone that simply dismisses what you say by calling you a liar.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:51 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I told about my car needing a new trans at 180,000. It wasn’t that much of a hassle, I simply got it rebuilt and was the only major repair I had in all the years I drove it. It didn’t break down on the road. Transmissions, as many other car parts , give warning signs something is wrong. Cost was $2200 plus rental car, and the car went another 135,000 after. My car only once broke down on the road. That was right after I bought it, 33,000 miles, the alternator went. Covered under extended warranty.
Supposedly driving that car to 180k miles was supposed to be the hardest thing you ever went through.

Maybe we are just all liars sitting around lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive