Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Check to see what the pet requirements are. I've showed up at the ticket counter with my dog and was told that she had to be crated while in the vehicle. I didn't ask why, but I assume it's because of the difficulty in getting dog hair out of the seats and carpeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 05:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Check to see what the pet requirements are. I've showed up at the ticket counter with my dog and was told that she had to be crated while in the vehicle. I didn't ask why, but I assume it's because of the difficulty in getting dog hair out of the seats and carpeting.

Good point and thank you for the reminder. I was already planning on crating my dogs and strapping them down. I used to do agility with one of them and I have heard the horror stories of people traveling with their pets and getting into accidents when they're not crated and tied down. Safety first.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Its because people let their dogs crap and vomit in the cars. There are alot of people with multiple dogs that arent trained, and they are used to the smell of dog urine feces around them perpetually. So they dont understand how gross a car would smell to normal people. Depending on severity, some of that stuff goes through the carpet to the foam, which then has to be replaced. Its alot of work.

OP if you dont know what kind of terrain you'll be running into, and you havent done this before, its very difficult to put you in a car that will cover it all. Also, something that is the most fuel efficient is not going to get you through all of the rough terrain that needs ground clearance.
My advise would be to get a subaru, or the patriot, and make sure you dont go off road. They will cover you for snow. Going offroad in unfamiliar territory is a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
OP if you dont know what kind of terrain you'll be running into, and you havent done this before, its very difficult to put you in a car that will cover it all. Also, something that is the most fuel efficient is not going to get you through all of the rough terrain that needs ground clearance.
My advise would be to get a subaru, or the patriot, and make sure you dont go off road. They will cover you for snow. Going offroad in unfamiliar territory is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks. I am trying to balance it all. I'm not expecting it to be as fuel efficient as say a Honda Civic, but I don't want to find something that fits the bill but gets 15mpg. Not for a trip over 2000 miles. But I do know what you're saying, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I may take a road trip in mid-November from Portland, OR to Dallas, TX. I'll have my bf and 3 dogs (2 Shelties & a Weim). We'd like to rent an SUV for space and just in case for weather.

We're trying to find the most fuel efficient, that can handle the terrain (I have no idea what the drive is like and how many mountains we have to go over), bad weather decently, and that is comfortable.

From doing a general rental car search, it looks like the following are our main choices, priced lowest to highest:
  • Jeep Patriot
  • Jeep Compass
  • Nissan Rogue
  • Toyota RAV4
  • Ford Escape
  • Ford EcoSport
  • Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Subaru XV Crosstrek
  • Subaru Forester
Thoughts on which one of these will work the best? I haven't looked at all the mileage, but I'm also thinking comfort; it's a friggen 30 hour drive (give or take)!
I don't know what route you will be taking but be aware mountain passes can fall under weather alerts that may REQUIRE snow rated tires, chains, 4x4, or some specific combination of this equipment.

My vote is for the mini van as well.

I have no experience with the other vehicles on your list but spending 30 hrs in a Compass or Patriot sounds like hell...I wouldn't willingly take even a 5 hr trip in either one.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Do keep in mind that with the major car rental companies, exact vehicle rentals are generally not guaranteed unless you're renting a high end luxury or exotic from them. The fine print normally says 'or equivalent' within the vehicle class for that company. If you can somehow be guaranteed a Subaru, they're always AWD unlike some others in the category but may not have as much cabin space as you really need with the dogs

The minivan category is more tightly defined and doesn't have as much variation from manufacturer to manufacturer.

If you're staying on Interstates and other major highways, local departments are generally quite with it when it comes to clearing snow after a storm. And late fall is kind of early for the worst of blizzard conditions.

Still, be aware that no matter how well whatever you're driving seems to handle while you're at 'go', wet or icy pavement really messes with your ability to brake like you want to. Give yourself plenty of space between yourself and other drivers, and don't drive curves aggressively in uncertain road conditions. I would be most worried about black ice and not so much snow that time of year, especially in the morning when wet pavement has had a chance to refreeze overnight.

(I live in Florida now in part because I grew up in the Lake Michigan lake effect snow belt)

Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
I'd be very surprised if any rental company offered an all-wheel drive minivan therefore any of the others would be a better choice for driving in snow and ice as long as none are only two wheel drive - something to check. If you encounter high winds the minivan would also be the worst choice. As far as cold, all the heating and deicing systems should work equally.

Having said that, I don't know that any company will guarantee a reservation of any particular vehicle - virtually all their websites offer cars in categories rather than as specific models, hence the "or equivalent" in those listings.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A full size van kicks the crap out of a SUV for storage and utility. Plus you can walk to the back from the pass seat.
The full size van, eats a lot of gas, and is not good on mountain snow and ice. I would say a mid size SUV, would be your best bet, with the capacity you will need. One of the best is a 6 cylinder Ford Explorer. We have a 2012 bought new, and handles snow fantastically. We average 22 MPG. Of 50 largest police departments, have already reached the point of 50% of their patrol cars are now Explorers, due being dependable, room to carry equipment and passengers, their road stability when in pursuit. And as more cars are replaced more Explorers. They are great vehicles in snow.

A lot of people are suggesting an Outback, OK in town but does not really have the capacity to carry the dog crates and everything you want to take with you. Also not the best in the snow in mountains,especially when road not yet plowed. I say that as our housekeeper had one and could not get to home up a steep hill. She traded it on the new midsize Chevy pickup and .it has no problems

Last edited by oldtrader; 10-20-2018 at 02:09 AM..

Old 10-20-2018, 05:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
This is a 3,000 mile trip? At 20 mpg, that is 150 gallons of gasoline. At $3.00/gallon, about $500. Even a huge body on frame SUV gets close to 20 mpg on the highway these days.

I’m in the “get a minivan” camp.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Its because people let their dogs crap and vomit in the cars. There are alot of people with multiple dogs that arent trained, and they are used to the smell of dog urine feces around them perpetually. So they dont understand how gross a car would smell to normal people. Depending on severity, some of that stuff goes through the carpet to the foam, which then has to be replaced. Its alot of work.
Put the dogs in a kennel and then you can rent anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive