Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:15 PM

245 posts, read 152,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I stopped going to dealerships to browse. Why?

Because they now have inventory only on the lot, not in the showroom.

That forces interaction with a sales person who can open the car. I'm a thinker. I hate mindless yapping. Sales people are paid commission only. They're hungry and most are inexperienced. Also, most don't know much about cars.

My solution is to visit the Denver car show yearly. I can browse multiple cars without having to deal with sales people. If I'm serious about buying a car, I rent it first for a few days.

Most people would prefer a root canal to car shopping.
Yes, arguing with a salesman for an hour until he FINALLY comes down to what I'm willing to pay (after threatening to walk out multiple times) is not fun. I would rather it be a similar experience as going to Walmart to buy a TV or something. Here's the price, this is what you'll pay, no haggling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
Yes, arguing with a salesman for an hour until he FINALLY comes down to what I'm willing to pay (after threatening to walk out multiple times) is not fun. I would rather it be a similar experience as going to Walmart to buy a TV or something. Here's the price, this is what you'll pay, no haggling...

There is a price sticker right on every new vehicle. Even used vehicles will have a price the dealer wants. You could have paid that price and been done, just like buying that TV at Walmart. You're the one who chose to dicker over it.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
I’d like to know how people are affording these cars? I want to buy an SUV for 45k (includes taxes, fees,ect) the payment is $750 per month x 60 months WITH ZERO INTEREST. A few grand off the MSRP.

How are people affording these 80-90k+++++++ vehicles?

60k car is $1,000 per month x 60 months WITHOUT INTEREST.
90k = $1,500 per month X 60 months WITHOUT INTEREST **

As we all know, there are many cars that are much more than what I mentioned above.

Sure, many lease. However that only knocks off a few hundred from the $1,500**

Just curious.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:50 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I’d like to know how people are affording these cars? I want to buy an SUV for 45k (includes taxes, fees,ect) the payment is $750 per month x 60 months WITH ZERO INTEREST. A few grand off the MSRP.

As we all know, there are many cars that are much more than what I mentioned above.

Just curious.
I've wondered the same thing. I've also wondered how and why anyone, pays $1000 and more for a phone. I guess some have the means to do so.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post

Just curious.

You make a larger down payment like the rest of us, that's how we afford monthly payments.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:04 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You make a larger down payment like the rest of us, that's how we afford monthly payments.
True. But even 10k down only lowers your payment $166 per month over 5 year period.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There is a price sticker right on every new vehicle. Even used vehicles will have a price the dealer wants. You could have paid that price and been done, just like buying that TV at Walmart. You're the one who chose to dicker over it.

Wow I'd like to watch you buy a house! I feel bad for your bank account though...

Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM

384 posts, read 272,902 times
I remember the last time I was in the market for a car, I went to a dealership and told the sales rep what my budget was, and they tried putting me in a $50,000 vehicle that was double what I was willing to spend/finance. Then, I went to other dealerships where the sales reps were more consultative and compassionate of my needs/budget limitations. So not all car dealerships and salespeople are the same.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:40 AM

59 posts, read 63,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Wow I'd like to watch you buy a house! I feel bad for your bank account though...

Seriously, I just don't have enough money to not warrant haggling. If haggling saves me $1500, then that's $1500 I can invest in better things than a car. Let them make money off the guy that has plenty...By the same token, the dealership invites this. They could put up a sign that says, "FINAL Price, no haggling allowed." They lure people in with incentives, incentives they don't qualify for, bait and switches; I will NEVER feel bad for being the customer looking for a great deal.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:55 AM

193 posts, read 98,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughesa View Post
Seriously, I just don't have enough money to not warrant haggling. If haggling saves me $1500, then that's $1500 I can invest in better things than a car. Let them make money off the guy that has plenty...By the same token, the dealership invites this. They could put up a sign that says, "FINAL Price, no haggling allowed." They lure people in with incentives, incentives they don't qualify for, bait and switches; I will NEVER feel bad for being the customer looking for a great deal.
Enterprise has no haggle pricing. Hertz and Avis probably do too. Their cars are low mileage and well maintained. My last car was a former rental and it was very reliable and lasted 13 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive